PDA

View Full Version : 5th gen interchangeability thread

crymson
05-21-2014, 07:16 AM
I've been hitting the pick'n'pull a lot looking for parts for my alltrac, and I've run into a few interesting differences between the various body styles. I thought it would be very useful to keep a list of what can be exchanged and what cannot. I'll be updating this as I go.

EDIT: Updating with information from METDeath, it seems nice to just have one post with all of the relevant info.
7/6/2014: rear bumper info

Body
Spoiler. 3 part fastback narrow and wide bodies:
Short: No.
Long: the spoiler is shorter front to back on the narrow body and will not fit in the opposite style mounting holes, they could be made to fit with some modification to the trunk lid and body.

Front Bumper (all):
Short: Yes
Long: The RC bumper will not fit with the crash bar used by the other bumpers without modification and vice versa

Rear Bumper
Short: by body style
Long: Coupe bumpers do not fit wide body celicas and vice versa. I *THINK* that the narrow body lift backs and wide body lift backs are interchangeable.

fog lights
Short: sometimes
Long: the 92-93's are larger than the 90-91's (except the alltrac), they will mount but will not fit the stock bumpers properly. Neither set can be mounted with the RC crash bar without modification

Wheels
Short: Usually
Long: the 90-91 ST use a 4x100 all other gen 5's use 5x100

hood
Long: All hoods interchange between all models (including Alltrac)

Front Fenders
Short: All but convertible
Long: The convertible fenders will not mount properly to non-convertible cars. Normal fenders (both wide and narrow) can be modified to fit a convertible. All non-convertible fenders are interchangeable

Tail Lights
Short: Some
Long: between years, but not body styles (coupe vs hatch) will swap.

Front Glass
Long: The convertible has a diversity antenna for the stock stereo? otherwise they are all the same.

Interior
Front Seats
Long: All seats except the alltrac seats are interchangable, the alltrac seats use a different bracket

back seats
Short: Mostly
Long: Hatchback seats (except alltrac) should be interchangable, unsure of coupe? Convertible are rear seats are exclusive as well

cluster surround (upper)
Long: The GT-S surround from a 91 fits in a 93 Alltrac

Electrical and Audio
System 10
Short: Some
Long: There are 4? different harnesses for the System 10 head unit depending on which model, year, and whether it was a factory option or a dealer option. This does not apply to the amp

Speakers
Short: By factory equipment
Long: Factory System 10 cars typically have the larger front speakers (4" speakers barely fit the bracket).

Gauge Cluster
Short: Yes.
Long: You may need to reset the millage to match that of your original cluster or declare that the millage on the cluster is incorrect to your local vehicle authority.

Suspension
All suspension is the same across all styles EXCEPT the rear alltrac suspension. (shorter rear struts due to axle shafts)

METDeath
05-21-2014, 01:15 PM
Hoods all interchange.

The 92/93 GTS has the US All-trac bumper, which is why the fog light oddity. They can be moved over if you have the correct bumper and support. I had 90 All-trac bumper, support, and fogs on my 91 GT coupe (no fogs, but wiring was there).

All hatch back (excl. All-trac) seats should swap, not sure on coupe. Convertible rear seats are exclusive as well.

Tail lights between years, but not body styles (coupe vs hatch) will swap.

Suspension is identical between ST, GT, GTS. Only the front is shared with the All-trac (shorter rear struts due to axle shafts).

Every System 10 amp I've seen is the same, I've seen a 90 All-trac, 91 GTS, and a 93 Convertible.

Factory System 10 cars typically have the larger front speakers (4" speakers barely fit the bracket).

Front fenders on all but the convertible will work, convertible would require fabrication to make other fenders work, but will not work on other cars.

Convertible front glass is exclusive because it has the diversity antenna in it, however, if you replace the whole audio system you can use regular glass as most head units do not have diversity antennas.

Fog lights can be mounted to the RC bumper support bar with fabrication and then the 90/91 GT/GTS fogs fit (Bruce did it).

celica9303
05-22-2014, 06:33 AM
Also the rc/cs bumper cover will work with standard crash bar. Have to trim a grille mounting tab or 2. No big deal.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

underscore
05-26-2014, 05:28 PM
As I recall there's a difference in the rear bumper crash bar mounting between the Alltrac and 2WD models.

celica9303
05-26-2014, 05:29 PM
Marshall what's this diversity antenna that you speak of? I see no antenna in my front glass

crymson
05-26-2014, 06:18 PM
Do you still have factory glass?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

celica9303
05-27-2014, 01:27 AM
Yep

METDeath
05-27-2014, 02:33 AM
Oddly enough, it's not in the front glass itself, but in the seal iirc.

With the MR2 it's actually in the glass.

METDeath
05-27-2014, 02:34 AM
As I recall there's a difference in the rear bumper crash bar mounting between the Alltrac and 2WD models.

I think the difference is between coupe and lift back, not 2WD/All-trac

underscore
05-27-2014, 06:41 AM
I recall someone on AT.net having issues finding a replacement rear bar and the GTS wouldn't fit his AT.

Nitro_Alltrac
06-04-2014, 10:35 PM
I'm not sure, but I can see there being a difference in the rear bar due to the fuel tank location. I've never taken the crash bar off, but with the rear mount tank, I could see the mounting arms being shorter.

crymson
07-07-2014, 04:33 AM
30 dollars later I know that coupe rear bumper covers are different than wide body bumper covers