PDA

View Full Version : 91 convertible System 10 amp dead

mnr3
05-18-2014, 05:27 PM
Hey all, just thought I'd ask "a stupid question" before making any blunders. I have googled to death for years on this, and never quite found the answer, so here goes.

Have 91 gt convertible with the premium sound: 1-piece head unit with cd, equalizer & cassette. 'vert original speakers mostly: 2 door 8", 2 rear seat (well, for some reason there is no passenger side speaker), 2 tweets and 2 in dash 4". Under seat amp developed a voltage leak (i.e. would run down battery) smelled a little burnt and finally just failed. H/U seemed ok, but if I'm going to bother, I'm assuming it would be easier to take out head, use harness to send (amplified) signal to the old amp site (easier access to wires) and make speaker connections there (hoping there are the normal connections, like a +/- for each driver, but that's what I'm not sure of).

I got a tweet/mid/woofer kit that came with its own external crossover for a Left and Right channel, so here is the plan that I hope you guys can approve or improve:

Replace head unit with one that will drive 4 channels (no external amp). Send front channel amplified signal to the external crossovers placed under passenger seat in place of the old amp and splice into the speaker wires there. 2) send rear channel amplified signal to 2 rear speakers. Not sure where to make that connection. If the wires for rears are at the system 10 amp under seat, I can do it there unless someone can suggest a better place to get access. I'll probably have the rear seats and crap out anyway,since I'm going to redo the convertible top at more or less same time. Thanks

METDeath
05-18-2014, 09:06 PM
Two things:

1) that should work fine, granted, it is old speaker wire, but it still works. My personal preference was to run all new wiring, took a bit of time, but well worth it since I replaced everything else in my system (5 channel amp, updated HU, all new speakers for everything).

2) what do you plan to do with the head unit?

mnr3
05-18-2014, 10:31 PM
Two things:

1) that should work fine, granted, it is old speaker wire, but it still works. My personal preference was to run all new wiring, took a bit of time, but well worth it since I replaced everything else in my system (5 channel amp, updated HU, all new speakers for everything).

2) what do you plan to do with the head unit?
Still in planning stages, but did not really have plans for the head unit. Why?

METDeath
05-19-2014, 01:07 PM
Still in planning stages, but did not really have plans for the head unit. Why?

I could use the plug for the second antenna out of the radio, but haven't had any luck sourcing one locally.