PDA

View Full Version : GT4 emergency brake "Shoe's"

buffalohunter7321
05-08-2014, 08:02 PM
The other day my 88 celica All-trac left rear wheel started grinding like the wheel was coming off. Put the car on the ramps and removed the wheel and every thing was great. I had just put new rear disc brakes pads on about 300 miles ago and they looked brand new. Re mounted the rear wheel and drove it around the block and the grinding was even worse. I than called a friend and found out that the all-trac's have a emergence brake drum on the inner side of the rotor with little drum shoe brake pads.
So here is my question, my emergence brake did not work before the grinding started, so can I just take the old shoes off and not replace them? Will the car be OK to drive with out them?

METDeath
05-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Remove the rotor to make sure that something didn't come loose in the assembly, if nothing falls out, then adjust the shoes.

Shadowlife25
05-08-2014, 11:19 PM
I would replace and adjust them Jack. No reason to not have your e-brake be functional. :)
If the cable is broken, then you may want to see what the cost is on a new one. Unfortunately, as I remember it is a bit pricey and is a dealer only part.
However, if you do replace it, it should provide many many years of trouble free service.

- Mario

Edited to add:
Be sure to check the inside of the rotor where the shoes are like Marshall said, if it is badly scored or damaged they may be toast.
If it isn't too bad and just has some small surface scratches, a shop should be able to turn them for you cheaply.

buffalohunter7321
05-09-2014, 02:37 AM
Well I took the wheel off and than the rotor and no shoes or hardware at all. What was causing the grinding noise was where some P.O. when he or she removed every thing having to do with the E-brake, just twisted some tie wire around the cable and through the dust cover to keep it from rubbing on the rotor. I suspect the other side is the same way. All in all I am glad It happened so I can get it fixed. Thanks you Gentleman.

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-09-2014, 10:25 AM
I always love finding those little gems on cars with previous owners. Glad you solved the mystery!

buffalohunter7321
05-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Yes, now to find out if I can still get them from the dealer????

METDeath
05-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Well, since you need the whole assembly... I'd recommend getting all the adjusters and such from a junk yard, the only thing I'd get new is the shoes (still pull them just in case).

Before you go check:
The other side to make sure that it isn't in the same condition before you go.
That the part numbers are the same between FWD and AWD.

Also, make sure you have the BGB handy because it's a pain to put those together.

If you didn't have an All-Trac I'd almost suggest pulling the whole hub and just installing that for faster, easier installation.

buffalohunter7321
05-09-2014, 08:24 PM
I checked my BGB in the brake section, but could not find any thing on the E-Brake assembly or info on it. Not even a pic of it. Can some one tell me where it is in the book?

Shadowlife25
05-10-2014, 09:00 AM
http://www.celicatech.com/bgbonline/88alltrac/BR/BR.htm

There you go Jack. :)

Never mind. It doesn't illustrate the shoe section and the repair manual doesn't have live links for those sections anymore.

Sorry.