PDA

View Full Version : Replacing engine/motor mounts

arjungarg96
05-06-2014, 06:01 AM
Hey guys, need some help. So I took the car to the mechanic and found out my car needs its engine mounts replaced, does anyone have instructions on how to replace the passenger side mount which is located ontop of the transmission block? I've got a ST184r running a stock 5sfe. It would be really helpful if anyone could tell me how the replace the other 3 mounts aswell. I've tried searching the internet and couldnt find any good instructions.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-07-2014, 02:44 AM
Check the BGB (Big Green Book) here on the site. It will show you how to go about changing the mounts.

arjungarg96
05-07-2014, 03:01 AM
Could you link me as to where i can find it?

Nitro_Alltrac
05-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Look on the front page of the site (www.celicatech.com). There is a link and such about how to access the manuals there.

arjungarg96
05-13-2014, 07:00 AM
Hey man, i found the bgb but cant find anything about the engine mounts in there? Any help?

4thgenceli
05-13-2014, 05:02 PM
They're not too bad to replace. I'd invest in one of the engine support bars. I have one and it's saved my ass multiple times when having to change motor mounts (both on the Celicas & other cars).

The passenger side mount is not on the transmission, it's on the right of the motor if you're staring at it (in front of the passenger seat).

To replace the drivers side mount (top of the transmission).

Remove the battery.
Remove the air intake assembly.
At this point, you should clearly see the motor mount.
Support the transmission and lift it up just a bit to take tension off the bolts
Remove the 4 bolts that hold the mount to the mounting bracket (2 front, 2 rear).
Remove the large through bolt.
Lower the transmission just a bit to slide the mount out.

Install is the reverse of the above.

4thgenceli
05-13-2014, 05:03 PM
Wait...I just saw your location. Sorry, the passenger side mount is on the left of your engine bay (top of the transmission). Our passenger side is on the other side of the vehicle. Anyway, it's easy to replace with basic tools & jacks/supports.

METDeath
05-13-2014, 10:09 PM
For the Front/Rear motor mounts, before you remove the cross member, remove the two little caps the cover the bolts that hold the mounts onto the cross member. Then loosen or remove the bolts that hold the mounts to the cross member, otherwise you are going to have a hard time getting them out.

If they have never been done, you will need at least a 1M breaker bar, possibly with a pipe extension (cheater pipe).

arjungarg96
05-14-2014, 07:29 AM
These are some great instructions, thanks man! Umm by any chance could you tell me how to undo the mount on the right ? Not the transmission mount, but the one opposite?

arjungarg96
05-14-2014, 07:31 AM
Also, are there any particular torque settings for the bolts?

METDeath
05-14-2014, 11:31 AM
Also, are there any particular torque settings for the bolts?

Pretty sure torque spec is in excess of 200 ft/lbs (not sure on the conversion), so use a strong thread lock and torque those things down.