PDA

View Full Version : Radio and Sunroof Lose Power

chrezar
05-06-2014, 12:40 AM
I have done a lot of searching but was not able to find a solution, sorry if this is a repost...

Randomly, my Radio (not stock) and sunroof will lose power. Sometimes just the sunroof will lose power. When they are working, they work 100% fine. Usually if I turn the car off and wait a couple hours and then turn the car on, they are working, but then will turn off when driving. I can go weeks/months with it working, and then bam it stops working. Recently I installed 2 new speakers in the backseat (the speakers had been removed) and now the radio/sunroof no power problem seems to be worse. What I've also noticed is tilt up on the sunroof seems to always work and if I keep pressing tilt down over and over and I can eventually get it to go down...

It only seems to affect the sunroof and radio - clock works, a/c stuff works, the 2 roof lights work (the one by sunroof and one in middle of car), etc.

Any ideas? Where would I look first? etc.

Thanks!

METDeath
05-06-2014, 02:49 AM
Have you tried the mirrors when the problem occurs? Could be the main accessory fuse (little pinkish thing in the driver's kick panel.

chrezar
05-06-2014, 01:39 PM
I have not tried the mirrors but I definitely will the next time it happens and look into that main accessory fuse. Thanks! I will report back what I find either way.

METDeath
05-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Or windows, all on the same giant fuse, other possibility is a ground issue either with the switch contacts not being clean (old age). If you remember the windows working when the other stuff stopped working, then I'd suggest looking at the BGB and finding out what the common point is between the two circuits.

chrezar
05-06-2014, 05:10 PM
The windows always work, never have had a problem with them. Some more info: the radio will act funny sometimes, as in it will still play and light up, but no buttons will respond when pressed. Or it will flicker off and come right back on. I've always been worried about having the sunroof stuck open so I haven't used it much so I'm not sure how it was responding during those times, but I know that whenever the radio is fully off and will not come back on, the sunroof is off too.

Yesterday I turned the car off with the radio and sunroof unresponsive and today when I turned it on everything worked as it should the whole time. I drove for about 30-60 minutes with no issues (making multiple stops as in turn the car off and back on).

What is a "BGB"?

Thanks!

Nitro_Alltrac
05-07-2014, 02:41 AM
BGB is Big Green Book. The Toyota service manual. They are available here on the site for donating members. Well worth it. Sometimes you can pick up actual paper copies on Ebay. Well worth the money.