PDA

View Full Version : Engine management?

Charlesbricin
05-02-2014, 01:21 AM
Ok I'm curious , what engine management system is preferred and why? I'm looking into piggy backs or stand alone ame looks good , emanagement ? Any ways I'm just tossing around a few ideas the 3sgte is arriving in the morning . Gr2 struts , the z fenders hopefully will all be here this week ,

Shadowlife25
05-02-2014, 04:34 AM
Depends on the year of the engine and car mostly. Then you get into what your budget is for a stand alone EMS. AEM makes a nice one, but it is at the top of the pricing tier.
It seems more than a couple people have had decent results with the MegaSquirt EMS as well and the MS(Mega Squirt) forums have many helpful and technically savvy users if you run into issues as well.

vip09
05-02-2014, 04:38 PM
You don't need an EMS until you step up to a bigger turbo and need larger injectors or want to get rid of the AFM if it's a gen2. I would recommend staying away from piggybacks on the 3sgte. When you do reach the point when you need an EMS, go with what your tuner is familiar with. Megasquirt makes an affordable solution for people on a budget. Haltech, Vipec, ProEFI, AEM, Hydra, etc all make an EMS that can do whatever you want.

andy
05-06-2014, 03:59 PM
Ryan IYO what is the best ems to get in terms of newbie tunning

Nitro_Alltrac
05-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Megasquirt has new line of PNP systems I've seen advertised in Grassroots Motorsports. The one for the 3S is around $800. I don't have any experience with it but the couple of reviews that I've seen have been pretty good.

donteatbugs
05-07-2014, 01:35 PM
None of the ones I've used are very friendly to someone just learning to tune. Ive run AEMv1, Hydra, Greddy ultimate, and Haltech. I would say look for what your tuner likes and something with an autotune/longterm learning ability.

underscore
05-07-2014, 07:00 PM
When you do reach the point when you need an EMS, go with what your tuner is familiar with.

This. Pick a tuner, then pick an EMS based on what they can work with. Far too often people pick an EMS and then either have to trailer their car a stupidly long distance to get it tuned or they end up ripping everything out and starting again with an EMS that a local tuner can actually work with.

ChrisD
05-17-2014, 03:14 AM
None of the ones I've used are very friendly to someone just learning to tune. Ive run AEMv1, Hydra, Greddy ultimate, and Haltech. I would say look for what your tuner likes and something with an autotune/longterm learning ability.

+1

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk