PDA

View Full Version : rocker panel cover interchangability

crymson
04-21-2014, 10:23 AM
I have no idea what the right name for the part is, it's the painted part over the rocker panels where a modern car would have a skirt. My st185 doesn't have them (pulled off to put a body kit on by a PO). Can I use widebody FWD parts?

Shadowlife25
04-21-2014, 12:19 PM
Yes, as long as it isn't a convertible.

crymson
04-21-2014, 09:24 PM
So the narrow body part is interchangeable too, as long as it isn't a convertible?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

METDeath
04-22-2014, 12:29 AM
Well, to my knowledge, the narrow body hatch/coupes didn't have those panels, only the convertible and the wide body cars... however, I could be wrong as it's been a while since I actually looked there on my coupe that has since been totalled out.

Murgatroy
04-22-2014, 03:13 AM
Coupes and narrowbodies don't have them.

crymson
04-22-2014, 03:16 AM
Well, dang. my local yards have about a dozen coupes and a few narrowbody GT's, but no GT-S's or tracs. Maybe the one guy on craigslist will come through for me.

Shadowlife25
04-22-2014, 05:55 AM
Wouldn't the ones from a vert not work because of some bolt hole and length differences? I think I remember something about that from Captains secret thread a while ago. I could be wrong.

Shadowlife25
04-22-2014, 05:56 AM
Well, dang. my local yards have about a dozen coupes and a few narrowbody GT's, but no GT-S's or tracs. Maybe the one guy on craigslist will come through for me.

Go check out car-part.com and see if you can get it through them. It's a nationwide junkyard search.

crymson
04-22-2014, 05:57 AM
I tried that, but I'm not sure what the part is called

grimmythereaper
04-22-2014, 08:10 AM
if its the part im thinking of, its the piece that seats under the wide body fenders next to the bottom part of the door? if it is the vert doesnt have those, it uses the sideskits to hide the fender bolts, the part you need crymson is only on the wide body 5th gens.

crymson
04-22-2014, 08:37 AM
Yeah I think we're thinking of the same part. On the GT-S at least (I assume also the alltrac) it runs from the front of the door to the rear wheel well right along the bottom, there a small mudflap thing between it and the front well.

Anyway, it looks like I'll have to find a wide body for parts

Lonestag
04-22-2014, 01:29 PM
I don't think Car-part is going to help because it works on the Hollander system and rocker mouldings (what we call them here at least) are not interchanged in that system.

On a side note, Car-part is a FANTASTIC way to get a service that a lot of businesses pay for (the Hollender interchange system) for free.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-22-2014, 06:19 PM
The only 5th Gen Celica I know, to have a factory side-skirt, was the convertible. The coupes had mud-flaps, and you could install the convertible side-skirts.

The GTS and Alltrac (wide body) had rock guards on the front and back of the rocker panel. Wide body and narrow body rocker panel covers are non-interchangeable.

Galcobar
04-23-2014, 12:40 AM
I don't think Car-part is going to help because it works on the Hollander system and rocker mouldings (what we call them here at least) are not interchanged in that system.

On a side note, Car-part is a FANTASTIC way to get a service that a lot of businesses pay for (the Hollender interchange system) for free.

Ran into this issue on a couple of parts, what I did was use car-part.com to find the yards which had the car I needed (ran a search for a part that is listed and is distinct to the model/trim I'm looking for) and then emailed each one to ask about the unlisted part.

Lonestag
04-23-2014, 02:44 AM
Oh yeah, for sure, that's my bread and butter right there!