PDA

View Full Version : jdm 3sgte swap into my st184

Huaraches
04-07-2014, 08:51 PM
whats up guys just picked up a 2nd gen year 91 jdm 3sgte of an mr2. I need help on how to do this swap. such as write ups and ill update asap on my progress.

Me: well im going into a nightmare project here since it will be my first swap.

my st84: well I have 90 GT lift back everything stock minus the clutch and fw, and springs.

things i need: well the main things i need is the turbo with cat and downpipe, i need an intercooler, afm, ecu throttle cable. then lil things like hoses and maybe few small things.

what it i have: the engine with stock manifold. intake manifold with an aftermarket inlet, 3rd gen camshafts with gears, also have the 2nd gen as extra, mr2 harness no fuse box with it tho.

parts i will try to use if possible off my 5sfe: my ac compressor, alternator, powersteering pump, clutch masters fw, spec 2 clutch kit.

parts i have doubts using: radiator, fuse boxes ignition components, Toyota thermostat,

4thgenceli
04-07-2014, 09:10 PM
There's write ups all over this place with swaps. Check out the stickies in the Forced Induction forum, there's a lot of good information there. Also in my siggy, check out Jasmine's build thread. I don't have her anymore but I did a ST215 (gen4 3sgte) swap into a ST162.

I can't remember offhand, but I think you've bitten off more than you can chew with the MR2 motor. Reason I say this is the accessories are backwards and the power steering isn't on the motor among other small anomolies and differences between the MR2 and Alltrac mounting points. If I'm picturing it right, you can still use the mr2 motor but that's about it. You'll need S-series alternator bracket, power steering bracket, motor mount brackets, etc. Basically all the accessories that run off the crankshaft on your 5sfe you'll need to move over to the 3sgte.

Depending on the transmission you're using, you'll need either the 3sgte flywheel and 5sfe clutch disc (if you're using the stock s54 transmission in your celica) or if you swap out for the e153 transmission you cna then get the 3sgte flywheel & clutch disc for the SW20, but then you'll need the hybrid axles (mr2 inner/st185 outer axles).

You'll need to re-pin the wiring harness to work with your chassis. There's stickies in the FI forum about how to do this and lots of folks here that have done that.

Now to address your comments...

things i need: well the main things i need is the turbo with cat and downpipe, i need an intercooler, afm, ecu throttle cable. then lil things like hoses and maybe few small things.

These are plentiful around. You can find these without issues. My advice would be to ditch the TMIC and put a FMIC on and clock the turbo accordingly (check out Jasmine's build thread for more information).

what it i have: the engine with stock manifold. intake manifold with an aftermarket inlet, 3rd gen camshafts with gears, also have the 2nd gen as extra, mr2 harness no fuse box with it tho.

You'll have a slightly hard time re-doing the MR2 harness to the celica. It's possible, just will take some time.

parts i will try to use if possible off my 5sfe: my ac compressor, alternator, powersteering pump, clutch masters fw, spec 2 clutch kit.

parts i have doubts using: radiator, fuse boxes ignition components, Toyota thermostat

I would strongly advise to use your alternator, AC compressor, power steering pump. You can re-pin/wire the harness to accept your ST184 accessories. The clutch master won't change. Your slave may change if you swap out the transmission. Otherwise, the ST184 slave will work fine. The spec2 clutch kit may or may not work. If you keep the celica's transmission, you can use the clutch disc. Either way you'll need a flywheel from a 3sgte (search for 3sgte hybrid clutc).

andy
04-07-2014, 09:28 PM
parts i will try to use if possible off my 5sfe: my ac compressor (maybe), alternator(maybe), powersteering pump(yes), clutch masters fw, spec 2 clutch kit(disc yes, pressure plate no).

parts i have doubts using: radiator(works fine), fuse boxes ignition components(works fine), Toyota thermostat(should fit),

Huaraches
04-07-2014, 09:30 PM
forgot to mention yes i am sticking with my tranny. but was told the splines might differ for the fw so how would that affect the proccess?

for the alternator bracket i can use the one on my 5sfe?

for the motor mounts using the ones from my celica should work right if i understood correctly and from i was told before.

crymson
04-08-2014, 12:40 AM
I was planning to that swap before I bought my 185, I came to the conclusion that sticking with the s53/s54 was not a good idea. Many people who did that ultimately regretted doing so, it just isn't designed to take 3S-GTE power. If you can get the e153 from the mr2 use that. There are several write-ups on how to convert it. (basically you need to flip the shift forks, and put together hybrid axles). But again, I haven't done the swap, and there are varying opinions on the matter.

Huaraches
04-08-2014, 12:49 AM
I was planning to that swap before I bought my 185, I came to the conclusion that sticking with the s53/s54 was not a good idea. Many people who did that ultimately regretted doing so, it just isn't designed to take 3S-GTE power. If you can get the e153 from the mr2 use that. There are several write-ups on how to convert it. (basically you need to flip the shift forks, and put together hybrid axles). But again, I haven't done the swap, and there are varying opinions on the matter.

for the mean while i want to run it with the s53/54 then later get an e153

4thgenceli
04-08-2014, 04:56 AM
The S53/S54 transmission has been hit & miss with the 3sgte swap. Some folks it was fine, others it destroyed itself and exploded.

crymson
04-08-2014, 05:11 AM
The S53/S54 transmission has been hit & miss with the 3sgte swap. Some folks it was fine, others it destroyed itself and exploded.

Yes, IMHO is not worth taking that risk.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

andy
04-08-2014, 02:15 PM
Mine was fine the 4 years I owned it. I never launched on it though.

Huaraches
04-09-2014, 07:25 PM
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac254/huaraches2010/ST184%20Turbo%20project/IMAG1849_zps04180f9c.jpg
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac254/huaraches2010/ST184%20Turbo%20project/IMAG1848_zps452f0445.jpg
its missing a part right here not sure what it is
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac254/huaraches2010/ST184%20Turbo%20project/IMAG1861_zpsec4d93ac.jpg
it has the hole for an egr valve not was told manifold doesnt
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac254/huaraches2010/ST184%20Turbo%20project/IMAG1855_zps98833c2b.jpg

BlueDragon
04-09-2014, 11:01 PM
Fuel pressure regulator and you need an EGR block off plate. I have both.

Huaraches
04-12-2014, 12:17 AM
i have the block of plate i just took it off to see if it had wholes to see if i can put an egr valve but not sure i was told intake manifold was missing a hole.
how much for the FPR

Huaraches
05-02-2014, 08:32 PM
i was taking off something as the 5sfe like the alternator bracket and notice it didnt work with the 3sgte ill be adding that to a list of items i need if anyone has one let me know.

I could just buy a new fw from napa but i was thinking by not take my cm fw to CM and ask if they can make the wholes to spec, would that be an issue?

Huaraches
05-04-2014, 11:24 PM
would an alternator bracket from a 4th gen celica 3sge work on a 2nd gen 3sgte?

grimmythereaper
05-04-2014, 11:38 PM
would an alternator bracket from a 4th gen celica 3sge work on a 2nd gen 3sgte?

i dont see what not, but i would check part numbers first if i were you :)

Huaraches
05-07-2014, 01:02 AM
Hmm were might i get a hold of part numbers because i was also thinking of the water neck too

andy
05-07-2014, 08:37 PM
It might work but you may have clearance issues or not enough/wrong size ports for the sensors.

90celicaGTX
05-07-2014, 11:27 PM
sounds like a headache of a build. just take ur time.
AND RESEARCH...

I had no problem w my swap and running the s54 and i ran it for 7years.over 220k when swaped
did my share of soft launches but respected the car. then upgraded to a caldina tran. hooks alot better.

i ran a oem disc for the s54 and resurfaced prs plate and fly off the 3s.

if u look into my build u can see what that clutch looks like after 7years.

andy
05-08-2014, 01:37 PM
^ This is what I did also. Works great if you go easy on the trans

Huaraches
05-14-2014, 06:26 PM
my project has been delayed due to my aw11 needing a headjob and me fixing that one first but also i just need a cherry picker to get the 5s out its basically ready to come off. im looking here and there for wiring diagrams tho. i tried looking on some of the links for the wiring that other members posted but they didnt work said the description was unavailable.

Huaraches
05-30-2014, 06:56 AM
I need some guidence for the FMIC because i dont know what will fit a 90 gt bumper. also i looked around and can someone confirm if the pics for the harness can help me pin out and pin the harness http://gt4.mwp.id.au/ if so witch one should i use 5sfe with sw20 or from sw20 to st185 to st 184

Huaraches
06-01-2014, 02:51 PM
Anyone knoe what FMIC will fit my 1990 celica gt

Huaraches
09-13-2014, 05:49 AM
well five months lateri finally put some work in.and this is my progress so far

Done:
engine is in the bay with 5s tranny w/ 5s lightweight fw and stage 2 clutch set up i had (took my fw in to get machined at clutchmasters since its their product.
Axels are installed gave me a hard time tho

trying to Do soon:
undoing the wiring on mr2 harness
timing belt
finding out how to set up a FMIC
Locating parts but not really been too busy
how to set up the power steering pump because idk were the lines for vacuum go to

Huaraches
09-13-2014, 06:17 AM
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac254/huaraches2010/ST184%20Turbo%20project/Snapchat-20140831094100_zps3e5003d4.jpg

Huaraches
09-14-2014, 07:10 PM
Anyone knoe how i can install my power steering pump because the lines that go to the intake manifold are different on the 3sgte manifold

Huaraches
09-19-2014, 06:35 AM
other things i will need maybe according to other ppl.

a resistor pack and can it be of an mr2 or alltrac?
the fuel pump relay thats next to the resistor pack?