PDA

View Full Version : Supra All-trac?

buffalohunter7321
04-05-2014, 04:27 AM
While I was at the parts store today the part boy and I got to talking about Toyota's and I asked him if he was a Toyota man. He said he was and I pointed out my Celica All-trac and told him I owned the only two in town. He than proceeded to tell me of a guy he knew that as 1 of only 10 Celica Supra All-trac's! I told him I have to see it to believe it.

Does any one know of such a car? He said it was back when you could order JDM cars here in the USA, that is when it was made!!!

Feel free to chime in any one.

The Captain
04-05-2014, 05:20 AM
No such animal.

jdm_celica_gts
04-05-2014, 07:37 AM
But an animal it would be haha, if such thing existed.

METDeath
04-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Boy is full of crap, trying to one up you, but not directly.

Murgatroy
04-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Japan has historically kept the best for home, so even if something like that was available in Japan, it doesn't mean you could 'order' it here in the states. Vehicles like the EVO and Skyline weren't EPA or DOT compliant. You can buy them now and import them that they are 25 years old, but you couldn't order them new.

The Celica Supra ended in 1985. The Alltrac wasn't introduced in the States until 1988. By that time the Supra had been it's own line for a couple of years (mixed if you consider that 1986 was a half and half year of MkII and MkIII.)

So, in short, much like everyone else has said, the counter jockey was highly mistaken about the words that came out of his mouth.

buffalohunter7321
04-05-2014, 07:57 PM
I whole heartedly agree with you all, that is why I came to the best to verifiy it's existence.

He also told me that my Toyota pickup truck was at one time called a helix pickup and Toyota dropped the Helix and just left it at Toyota pickup. All I know is it is just a plain Toyota Pickup with a 22RE in it along with a 5 speed manual tranny and can barely get the tires to grip if I give it to much throttle.

Facime
04-05-2014, 08:13 PM
I know of an AWD Supra, but its a one off and the only one I know of in existence using a custom drivetrain. It was all hand built using a 1FZ out of a landcrsuier and an ENORMOUS 98mm turbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhxYb7GUBig

There was a build thread about it on Supraforums, but I didnt feel like diggin it up.

I see another one on youtube from russia as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vD6MuEJJWQ

but no, never anything from the factory.

grimmythereaper
04-05-2014, 08:21 PM
He also told me that my Toyota pickup truck was at one time called a helix pickup and Toyota dropped the Helix and just left it at Toyota pickup. All I know is it is just a plain Toyota Pickup with a 22RE in it along with a 5 speed manual tranny and can barely get the tires to grip if I give it to much throttle.

that is some what correct, the hilux was was discontinued in the US for the Tacoma, last i checked the hilux is still being sold in other parts of the world where the demand for small sized trucks are higher then mid sized trucks

Nitro_Alltrac
04-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Grimmy's right about Hilux. That's what the Tacoma is most of the rest of the world.

buffalohunter7321
04-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Ok, than what is my little Toyota pickup? There is no badge on it, and when I go get parts for it, I just tell them it is a plain Toyota Pickup.

I have seen the Tacoma and the other trucks around, but they are bigger than mine. Mine is just a small little truck that gets around 40+ miles per gal.

buffalohunter7321
04-06-2014, 07:37 PM
So my truck is a Tacoma?

T-spoon
04-06-2014, 07:56 PM
I have a supra all-trac, but I decided to disconnect drive to the front wheels to improve handling.

That might be a lie

Murgatroy
04-06-2014, 08:15 PM
So my truck is a Tacoma?

Your truck is a Toyota pick-up. That is what we call it here in the US. Anywhere else in the world, we call it a Hilux. Same thing. But if you tried to call it a Hilux, or load ten revolutionaries with AKM pattern rifles in the bed, folks will look at you funny. But anywhere else in the world, you would be cool.

Nitro_Alltrac
04-06-2014, 11:05 PM
Some of the really early pickups imported into the states had the Hilux badge but that was the early seventies and most of those have returned the earth by now. For years it was just the Toyota Pickup. The put the Tacoma name on it around the time the T100 came out. Not exactly sure when though. Great trucks no matter what you call them.

Murg, 10 guys with AKMs won't even get you a glance most places. You need to step up and put the AA quad mount in the bed. I'm still trying to find the option code to order. No luck so far though.

crymson
04-06-2014, 11:50 PM
I believe there is a dealership in east Europe that offers AA as an option on all new and used trucks.

Nitro_Alltrac
04-07-2014, 02:58 AM
It must be a foreign market only option. I did the bills of material for the Tacomas for 3 years and never could find that spec code.:cheesy:

buffalohunter7321
04-07-2014, 04:16 AM
I will say this: My 11 & 10 & 9 year old grandsons drive my truck all over the thirteen acre field and while one is driving the other two are in the bed of the truck shooting there plastic BB AK's at any rabbit or birds that come close to them. They do make me proud.

KoreanJoey
04-07-2014, 07:43 AM
IIRC the hilux and the tacoma are not the same. Frames, optional drivetrains, payload capacity and towing capacity are different.

grimmythereaper
04-07-2014, 03:19 PM
this should help :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Hilux

Funkycheeze
04-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Initially, the Hilux was sold in north America under the same name. Sometime in the '80s, they changed it to just the 'pickup'. Around 91 they started making the trucks in the USA as well, but still called them the pickup.

In 1995, the first generation Tacoma completely replaced the pickup in North America. At that point, the T100 was also available (I think it started sales in '92 or so) as it is larger than the pickup or Tacoma. Then later on, it was discontinued and then replaced by the Tundra.

Overseas, the Hilux was the same as our pickup until 95. At that point all the Tacomas were North America only, as they are built in the US. In Japan, they had a new version of the Hilux, closer in size to the T100. This is what continued to be sold outside North America.