PDA

View Full Version : System 10 trouble...

92 All-Trac
03-17-2014, 12:51 AM
After 20+ years, my factory system 10 head unit finally crapped out on me. Luckily I had a spare Sony deck laying around to put into it, so I bought the harness to retain the stock amp and have some music still. Well it is all installed, the deck powers up, antenna is picking up a signal, but I'm getting ZERO sound.

I'm sure there are lot of threads out there on this subject, but frankly I don't have the patience/time to sift through tons of posts that ultimately may not address my issue. So I'm hoping people can resist flaming me and telling me to use the search function, and possibly just offer some help?

Everything is hooked up through the stock system 10 harness via the Metra harness part# 88-00-8000 + 70-8112. I plugged the two sets of RCA's into the back of the Sony deck and completed the install. Well, no sound, everything else operating normally. I pulled the deck back out, swapped the RCA's into opposite plugs on the back of the deck thinking that maybe they were backwards...still no sound.

I'm not sure where to go from here, as it seems pretty straight forward as far as installation. If I'm not mistaken, the speakers all go through the system 10 amp, and that is what the RCA's take care of? Is there something I'm missing, or not hooking up that I should?

celica9303
03-17-2014, 01:21 AM
Amp still working?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

92 All-Trac
03-17-2014, 01:48 AM
As far as I can tell it is. I plugged the old system 10 head unit back in just to test things out (The radio will still intermittently work on it, but CD player almost never works). The speakers all still produced sound, so I think that means the amp must still function, correct?

celica9303
03-17-2014, 01:54 AM
Calling DIG and Shadowlife

david in germany
03-17-2014, 07:02 PM
Have you tried running a different input to the amp? If you have a headphone plug to RCA cable you could see if the deck's output was dead.

Remember, the amp gets it's turn on from the stereo but the stereo gets power from the amp... Thanks Toyota for that confusing statement...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

underscore
03-17-2014, 08:42 PM
Have you got the trigger wire to the amp hooked up right? It's the blue wire off the deck and into the Metra harness. That wire can get burned out in a deck if it accidentally grounds, so if it is hooked up turn on the deck and make sure you get 12V on that wire. If the wire is hooked up AND the deck is on AND you don't get the 12v you can cheat and hook the blue wire on the Metra side to the red wire, this will turn the amp on every time the car is turned on (as opposed to just turning it on when the deck is on).

Now if you are getting 12V on the blue wire and it's hooked up, then like it was said above the decks outputs might not be working. You have the benefit of knowing the amp and wiring are good thanks to your old deck, so there aren't many things that could be causing you problems.

92 All-Trac
03-18-2014, 01:00 AM
So I didn't even have the remote wire hooked up, that would explain why the amp was not powering up and getting sound to the speakers. However, I still have a problem...

I hooked up the blue/white wire labled 'rem out' from the deck, to the Metra harness blue/white wire labled 'amp on 12v'. I turn on the key, head unit powers up as normal, but only displays the time. As soon as I press 'source', the unit powers down and I can hear a relay in the car constantly clicking until I turn off the key. The cd player will not power back on until I've disconnected and reconnected the battery.

METDeath
03-18-2014, 03:14 AM
Just so we can get a feel for all the variables, what is the model of the head unit you're using?

92 All-Trac
03-18-2014, 03:29 AM
It's a Sony CDX series. Has the front USB, Aux, two pre-amps on the back plus a sub channel. It's only a couple years old, and only has been used for about one. I pulled it out of my old car before I sold it.

92 All-Trac
03-20-2014, 02:33 AM
Any ideas? Because I'm out of them.

I really don't want to have to install and aftermarket amp right now, just don't have the time to mess with this anymore. I may have to break down and take it to a stereo shop.

METDeath
03-20-2014, 02:54 AM
My only other thought is that maybe the amplifier is on the way out and just hasn't completely failed.

92 All-Trac
03-20-2014, 03:49 AM
Yeah...I was thinking the amp may be getting a surge from the new deck? Probably worth the trouble of just forking out some money for an amp.

Thanks for the input.

METDeath
03-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Well, I have at least one spare amp (unknown condition), we can compare plugs and make sure they are the same... one is out of a convertible (92/93, I think) and the other out of my 91 GTS.

However, I won't be check until possibly Sunday.

METDeath
03-27-2014, 03:02 PM
So this is the picture of the plugs on the amps, they are physically identical, so should work for you. If you'd like them, PM me (no charge, just cover shipping).

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/3/5/9/img_20140324_081609_thumb.jpg (http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=23636)

92 All-Trac
03-28-2014, 04:02 AM
Hey sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Been a crazy busy week.

So last night I decided to just put the car together and get it out of the garage (Need to make room for the Landcruiser so I can swap an alternator). I put the final trim pieces in, and turn the key, and the stereo comes on, and it starts working like normal! I noticed my aftermarket boost gauge light wasn't working (it's tied in with the cigarette lighter), so I had to tear it apart again and fix that connection. Well when I did, the stereo started acting up again, and I had to disconnect the battery, then reconnect it to get it to work properly again.

I think the culprit is definitely the factory amp. So if I have time tomorrow, I'll take a look under the seat and see if I can tell which type of connector mine has. I really appreciate you offering to help out by providing me with a spare. I'll PM you once I am able to confirm which amp it is.

Thanks for everyone's input, I really appreciate it!

underscore
03-28-2014, 06:35 AM
It sounds like you might have a bad connection somewhere in the adapter harness you made or the wiring just after it.

METDeath
03-28-2014, 06:50 AM
If you disconnect the boost gauge from the cigarette lighter, does the radio work 100%?

I've noticed when I try to use the cigarette lighter for easy power, it usually has... side effects... on the radio.

crymson
03-28-2014, 08:46 AM
^^^This

92 All-Trac
03-28-2014, 03:42 PM
Hmmm, good to know. If it gives me trouble I'll definitely try disconnecting the boost gauge and supplying the power elsewhere.

underscore
03-28-2014, 05:12 PM
Just pull the fuse for the cig lighter and try it out. If it works, reroute your boost guage wiring.

92 All-Trac
03-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Stereo still turning on and working fine, but my door speakers (subs) are NOT working. Didn't have a chance to look into real closely. Just drove the car on a quick errand and noticed that my music was sub-par, and realized the subs were not working at all.

david in germany
04-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Time to look for a small 2 channel amp for the woofers and one of the non amplified metra Toyota harnesses.

30-40w rms to the door subs should be more than enough on them.

If you want to get a little wild and have sonic bliss, look for a JBL MS-8 to run the entire system.

Shadowlife25
04-09-2014, 03:07 AM
If you want a write up on doing what David mentioned above, I wrote one for that exact application. I used a 5channel amplifier, but the wiring is all the same for what you are trying to achieve.
Lastly, if it is only the door woofers that are non-functional, it may well be that you used the incorrect adapter harness (unless you got the one METDeath indicated). If normal operation of the stereo itself is intermittent, that is most likely a bad connection somewhere in your harness/adapter.
Run the power for your boost gauge from it's own dedicated line, not tapping into another system to pull power. And remember, with aftermarket instruments you always want to fuse it within 12 inches of the battery whenever possible. This is a safety measure and will avoid any chances of an electrical fire.
You likely already know all this stuff, but I figured more information is better than not enough. ;)
Best of luck!

- Mario

celica9303
04-18-2014, 05:50 PM
Great idea with the ms-8 can't wait to get mine

On a kinda related topic, when I listen to the radio(am/fm) all speakers work fine. But when I listen to the cd player only the right side works lol, this is still on all stock equipment.

david in germany
04-18-2014, 06:19 PM
Great idea with the ms-8 can't wait to get mine

On a kinda related topic, when I listen to the radio(am/fm) all speakers work fine. But when I listen to the cd player only the right side works lol, this is still on all stock equipment.

Time to retire the stock audio.

celica9303
04-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Very very true

METDeath
04-18-2014, 06:54 PM
Time to look for a small 2 channel amp for the woofers and one of the non amplified metra Toyota harnesses.

30-40w rms to the door subs should be more than enough on them.

If you want to get a little wild and have sonic bliss, look for a JBL MS-8 to run the entire system.

Pretty sure the 92-93 don't use an extra wire harness like the 90/91 does (mine used to, but I removed the wiring because there's no point in having it when nobody makes a cheap plug in the US).

david in germany
04-19-2014, 08:26 AM
All the system 10 cars had an additional harness. There were about 4 versions that I know about. 90-91 short and long and 91.5-93 short and long (dates are from my memory so the May be off a little). The difference were the connectors but the wires were the same. The short harnesses were routed along the center console and the long harnesses ran along the door jam. I was never able to confirm but I think they used the long harness if the system 10 was added after the fact (dealer option)

alltracman78
04-24-2014, 02:40 PM
Yep, all system 10 use a separate add on harness.

Your adapter harness may not be wired correctly [or may be missing wires].
I've run into this with my Tundra, I ditched the factory radio so I could have MP3/bluetooth and to keep the amp I need a similar harness, but on the harness there are wires that are in the wrong place and wires that are missing.
I'm probably going to end up buying a second adapter and using the wires from it to add to the one I already have [I can't find any Toyota pins that match].

underscore
04-24-2014, 10:21 PM
I thought the system 10 amp had special mounting points on the floor, or did every 18x get those?

METDeath
04-25-2014, 03:02 AM
It's probably a bolt on mounting plate, I have never taken the carpet up in my car or any system 10/8 car to verify the difference.

Shadowlife25
04-25-2014, 04:22 AM
The mounting plate bolts in, yes.

NYTEPSYCE
05-19-2014, 03:55 AM
Hey, If Josh doesn't take you up on your offer, I wouldn't taking one of the amps off your hands. I am running a system 10 on a 1990 celica with replaced original head unit (cassette/fm stereo) and a 3 cd changer that came off a Rave 4 that is compatible with the hookup on the cassette unit. It is one of those 2 piece cassettes/cd head units that came on the 1990 celica GTS before Toyota changed it to a single head unit. Just happened to notice one on Ebay that had the same exact hookup on the back that replaced the original single disc CD unit. I was having the similar problem with my old unit as Josh, FM stereo played on all speakers, but no sound through the CD unit. Had to buy a couple on ebay till I found one that was working OK. Now I can play 3 cds in my celica on all 10 speakers! Sweet!

Il_Barone
06-18-2015, 06:47 AM
Hi, i knew that on a System 10 should be used a PC9-406 Autoleads adaptor.
I don't know anything about the Metra one.
Can you confirm?