PDA

View Full Version : Alternator?

prophet513
03-13-2014, 06:47 PM
So in the sub zero temperatures we got here last month, after being recharged and serving me for 4 good years, I finally had to get a new battery. Now almost every other day my battery light (in my 5th gen) comes on... It's either on when I get in the car, or after driving for anywhere from 5-15 minutes it shows up. Now fyi, I generally have my stereo running and often along with that I have my mp3 player playing through the USB port. I have no sound system other than aftermarket speakers. So when this battery light comes on, my clock usually dims, and yesterday was the worst as it went completely black, my radio usually shuts off too and the windshield wipers move slowly.

This DOESN'T happen every time, just when it wants to. Every couple days or so.

Today I had my alternator and battery tested by a tech at work, of course while the battery light was OFF, and nothing negative showed on the test.

Could it still be my alternator? I just spent quite a bit fixing valve cover gasket and fuel injector and some other stuff on top of buying a house so I really don't want to "try" another alternator if it might be something else..

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Murgatroy
03-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Check your belt.

Sounds like a loose belt to me.

underscore
03-13-2014, 08:28 PM
Or bad grounds/bad alt connection.

prophet513
03-13-2014, 10:27 PM
just tugging on it the tech said it felt like it was tight enough.. whats the best way to make sure the belt is tight enough?

alltracman78
03-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Your alt belt should have ~ 1 inch of play on the side between the alt and the crank pulley.

But if the problem is intermittent it's unlikely it's the belt.
How do the battery connections look? Dirty? Corroded? Are they tight?
Is the new battery bad?

The bad battery might have damaged the voltage regulator on the alt.