PDA

View Full Version : New car advice?

Hookecho
03-03-2014, 03:06 PM
Ok, guys. So my car (2003 Infiniti G35) has been randomly showing the check engine light. Stays on for a few days, then goes off for a fews, etc. In addition, sometimes it idles kinda rough (like sitting at a red light and it feels like a car thats about to run out of gas, even though it isn't) and also like the other day, it took a good 3 tries to get it to crank- that happens once every couple of months or so.

Anyway, I took it to the local Car Care Clinic for an oil change and had their mechanic look at it. The check engine light was not on at the time but I told him what the codes said last time I went to the parts store and had them hook it up to a code reader: Idle air sensor over rpm and then camshaft timing over advanced (did not get the actual codes, sorry!). They had the car for several hours and said they could not figure out anything as far as the check engine light (did not mention the rough idling and trouble starting to him). He told me I would have to take it to the dealership and see if my "computer needs reprogramming"? I kinda have a feeling that perhaps they were too lazy to look into it very much...

So here is my question: Seeing that it is and 11 year old car (102k miles) and I no longer have my trustworthy resident mechanic :( do you think I should just sell it and get a newer less mileage car before it starts having bigger problems?

And if so, what should I get? I have enough Bruce in me to want something fast and sporty and sleek, but the problem is that I need a 4 door. Everything I like is a coupe. Trust me, I would love to get a corvette like he wanted, but I really do need 4 doors to accomodate my family and my new niece's car seat. Any suggestions? I want to make Bruce proud- he wouldn't want me in a Ford Focus, lol. Something sexy and sleek and fast... Any advice?

4thgenceli
03-03-2014, 05:18 PM
Have you jumped in a Mazda6 lately? The 2014's body lines are amazing and they handle exceptionally well.

My co-worker has the same car you do and he is just chomping at the bit waiting to trade it in. His clutch is acting up and supposedly the clutch is non-serviceable.

Luni
03-03-2014, 11:54 PM
Tim.

Fuck Mazdas. Seriously.

Jennifer wants a BMW. Twin Turbo goodness. :)

Luni
03-03-2014, 11:55 PM
Have you jumped in a Mazda6 lately? The 2014's body lines are amazing and they handle exceptionally well.

My co-worker has the same car you do and he is just chomping at the bit waiting to trade it in. His clutch is acting up and supposedly the clutch is non-serviceable.

What the fuck do you mean "non serviceable"

The Clutch IS non serviceable. Meaning it goes bad, you REPLACE it.
The Flywheel is generally non serviceable. Meaning its Dual Mass and it needs to be REPLACED.

Any decent mechanic shop can install a new clutch into a G35 manual. What a crock of shit.

4thgenceli
03-03-2014, 11:57 PM
I meant flywheel, not clutch. These back to back fuckweeks at work are killing my brain.

Hookecho
03-04-2014, 12:06 AM
I do like the look of the Mazda6, Tim! But I did not have good luck with my last Mazda... Bruce installed 3 trannies on it. That's why we got the infinti.

Perhaps a BMW might be a option, though... :)

Luni
03-04-2014, 12:09 AM
I meant flywheel, not clutch. These back to back fuckweeks at work are killing my brain.

My Accords flywheel was that way. So I bucked up and bought a new one for 350 bucks. Clutch job with labor cost me a grand. Sure thats pretty steep for a clutch job, but a fuckton cheaper than a new car.

Nitro_Alltrac
03-04-2014, 12:19 AM
I don't know what your price range is but the second gen IS is a decent sporty sedan. They've had the current body style since 06 I think and being a Lexus/Toyota you've got the reliability. I've got a '12 IS350 and I like it. Great power, handles well. I ran it over through the Twisted Sisters in the Texas Hill Country last year and it did really good. We drove a 250. I wouldn't recommend it though due to it being down on power in my opinion. My wife, who is not really a car person, comment on it not seeming to have enough power. We get decent mileage, 23-25 around town and I've seen about 30 at times on the highway.

I will say that for the for the size of the car, the interior is on the small side. The back seat is OK for kid and small adults. I'm not comfortable back there (6'2" 290). The front is OK though. something to think about.

4thgenceli
03-04-2014, 12:21 AM
I do like the look of the Mazda6, Tim! But I did not have good luck with my last Mazda... Bruce installed 3 trannies on it. That's why we got the infinti.

Perhaps a BMW might be a option, though... :)

That's funny, We had the same car (2002 Mazda 626). Our transmission finally went out at almost 220 or 230k miles and with basic maintenence it really didn't leave us stranded. Sure a timing belt here, blown hose there but nothing where it required over $300 in parts. The biggest thing that 626 had against it was powerplant to chassis. It was way underpowered for the size/weight of the 626 chassis.

It wouldn't hurt to check one out. The 6 speeds are quite fun...

underscore
03-04-2014, 04:30 AM
I agree with Luni's posts, also how much are you looking to spend on a newer car and what do you think you could get for your G in your area? IMO it's always better to fix the car you know than to buy somebody else's problems, but I know with the frustrations involved that isn't always popular to do.

Hookecho
03-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Well, I'm assuming I can get at least $7-8k for the Infiniti? See, I don't even know what it's worth. I still would get a used car, but maybe only 2-4 years old, less than 50k miles. I'm looking in possibly an entry level luxury brand, but willing to look at anything newer, nice, and sporty looking. Maybe up towards the $25k range? I need to build my credit anyway, so I know I'm looking at a decent car payment.

CollapsedNut
03-04-2014, 04:42 PM
I think you'd like a Lexus IS series car.

BabyBear
03-04-2014, 06:24 PM
I'm probably going to jump on the Lexus IS bandwagon too. A guy here has an IS-F and I quite like it. An IS-350 would be plenty fast for you, as well as comfy

Ninja edit:

Also, fuck Mazda's. I haven't been in one that I liked all that much.

Murgatroy
03-04-2014, 11:43 PM
I cant' say Mustang, cause Bruce gave me no end of shit over that, while sending me pictures of Corvettes he wanted...

Well that and it doesn't have four doors.

I think the Lexus IS series would be a good place to start, it is an equivalent of the Infiniti, but just better at it.

All I own now outside of Chaos is Fords. That is where my expertise lies now. If a Focus is out, that only leaves a Fusion in the $25k price range. Which isn't a bad car, but it wouldn't be nearly as fun or sporty as an IS.

The Captain
03-05-2014, 12:55 AM
Do we have a dollar figure here? The key is buying the best car for the money you're willing to spend.

Porsche 911 turbo is a great car, but it's six figures.

A Hyundai Sonata is fantastic too and you can't beat em for the money.

Hookecho
03-05-2014, 01:50 AM
KBB good condition, for my Infiniti: trade in is at $4500-5000, while private is listed at $6k, so in total $25k is the most for something I would look for... and used is fine, as long as it's less than say, 4-5 years. A corvette would be my first choice, but alas, not enough room :-/

Nitro_Alltrac
03-05-2014, 02:47 AM
The IS 350 is PLENTY fast. You have to watch on the interstate as you'll be at 80-90 and not even know it.

Galcobar
03-05-2014, 03:11 AM
Throwing this out based on the four-door and reliable criteria: looked at a Genesis sedan? Buy a two-year-old car and you still have the warranty of a new Toyota (actually, with eight years on the powertrain it's still better than the five you get with most everyone else). Know it's not the best handling sedan, but it might warrant consideration.

T-spoon
03-05-2014, 03:30 AM
And then of course.. there's the Camry.. a couple year old v6 SE would be plenty affordable, quick enough to not feel too lame, and decent looking with a fair sized interior. Exciting? I wouldn't say so, but good value and utility.

I mean, look at this after a two second search in my area:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=98178&endYear=2015&modelCode1=CAMRY&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&makeCode1=TOYOTA&engineCodes=6CLDR&engineCode=6CLDR&searchRadius=25&maxPrice=24000&trim1=CAMRY%7CSE&mmt=%5BTOYOTA%5BCAMRY%5BCAMRY%257CSE%5D%5D%5B%5D%5 D&listingId=366480237&Log=0

underscore
03-05-2014, 05:14 AM
I agree with all of the above, V6 Camry, Genesis or IS350 for starters, maybe go test drive some and see how they feel?

Doowstados
03-05-2014, 07:13 AM
I would advocate taking the G35 to a more reputable shop and seeing what it would cost to fix first - could be something minor.

If you're catching the new car bug and want something sporty but with utility I thoroughly enjoyed test driving the current model Subaru Impreza WRX. They can be found used with relatively low miles for around your price range, and are plenty roomy/comfortable/quick.

hobbie2k
03-05-2014, 10:37 AM
I would put at least a little more time and effort into investigating the Infiniti. It will likely be cheaper to fix than to buy a new car. It could be something as simple as a bad EGR valve. On the other hand, if you do find out it has a serious issue, you're facing to dilemma of being honest about the car's condition and losing money.

I do understand the desire to use this as an excuse to buy a new car, though. I used a bad CV joint as an excuse to dump the 4-pot automatic Holden Apollo (rebadged Camry) my wife bought for an SR20 manual Pulsar SSS.

Since you like the Corvette but need 4 doors, have you considered a Pontiac G8 GT? Small-block V8, 360hp, RWD, lots of space and, being Australian, it's cool. It's also probably a more rare sight than a Corvette.

I took a quick look on Autotrader and saw prices ranging from $13k for an early high-mileage (60-90k mi) GT to $25k for a low-mileage (<25k mi) late model. I also looked for GXP models, but only found one for less than $26k and it was very high miles with mods...

Hookecho
03-05-2014, 02:11 PM
I am going to take the Infiniti to the dealership; I'm weighing my options right now. I guess I just worry about not having Bruce around to fix every little problem that comes up. I'm not used to having to go to a shop and wonder if I'm being lied to or not. Even getting my oil changed, they told me I needed a new air filter because it was "beyond filthy" and not two weeks ago my brother in law looked at it and told me it was clean and don't need a new one :-/

T-spoon
03-05-2014, 04:29 PM
^ Yep, that's why my recommendation is a known-entity kind of car, that's pretty simple and well-known. Things like AWD or high power RWD are just extra maintenance costs and decisions that if you're really not in a position to make can get you ripped off. Obviously as enthusiasts we'll want to suggest cars we like and think are cool, but you're the one that has to deal with it day to day. (and yeah, there's every chance there's nothing major that's an issue with the G35, so keeping it might not be the worst thing)

underscore
03-05-2014, 06:55 PM
^ Yep, that's why my recommendation is a known-entity kind of car, that's pretty simple and well-known. Things like AWD or high power RWD are just extra maintenance costs and decisions that if you're really not in a position to make can get you ripped off. Obviously as enthusiasts we'll want to suggest cars we like and think are cool, but you're the one that has to deal with it day to day. (and yeah, there's every chance there's nothing major that's an issue with the G35, so keeping it might not be the worst thing)

And if you're not doing the work yourself or getting it done by somebody familiar with the car, having an uncommon vehicle means that your average mechanic is more likely to fuck it up since they don't know the car. The rarer the car the rarer the mechanics worthy of working on it are.

Luni
03-05-2014, 11:33 PM
It doesnt matter what you have. If you appear to be a noob theyll treat you like a noob.

burnyd
03-06-2014, 03:44 AM
Get a STI/EVO/WRX in that exact order. Cant go wrong with the amount of power they make and how comfortable they are for four door vehicles that can be driven all year long.

MrWOT
03-06-2014, 04:10 AM
And if you're not doing the work yourself or getting it done by somebody familiar with the car, having an uncommon vehicle means that your average mechanic is more likely to fuck it up since they don't know the car. The rarer the car the rarer the mechanics worthy of working on it are.

QFT

Back when I had my 91 SHO I called Lithia Ford of Concord and asked about getting the valve job done. I was put in contact with their "master tech" who assured me my car would be in good hands and he had worked on dozens of SHOs and would be doing the work himself.

So I drive up into the service area and the "master tech" comes out. We start talking and he spouts the following words.

"Aren't those little V8s amazing? I love these cars!"

I stared at him for a second and without a word turned around, got back in the car and drove home. Ended up taking it an hour away to Dublin instead.

What's your price range on a new car?

hobbie2k
03-06-2014, 05:26 AM
Pontiac G8 GT

It's as close to a new Corvette as you'll find in a 4-door, is right in your price range for a low-mile example, has tons of space, is ripe for modification, and it's not like you deal with a lot of snow necessitating AWD. Plus they are used as police cars and taxis and even as commercial pickups here, so they are tough and reliable, and fuel economy shouldn't be significantly worse than any of the other cars mentioned.

jdm_celica_gts
03-06-2014, 06:31 AM
I'm with burnyd, evo sti or wrx.
Can't go wrong with turbo awd goodness :)
Plus it's a sedan so plenty of room in the cabin.

Doowstados
03-06-2014, 08:28 AM
Get a STI/EVO/WRX in that exact order. Cant go wrong with the amount of power they make and how comfortable they are for four door vehicles that can be driven all year long.

I don't think the STI or EVO would be appropriate for her. I suggested the WRX because it's very reliable compared to the other two, mechanics know how to work on that engine in that configuration because it's common enough, and it gets better gas mileage. I'm assuming she doesn't want something extremely fast but wants something on the same level speed wise as the G35, but with some more space and utility.

STI's and EVO's are great fun and all but I sure as hell wouldn't DD one.

hobbie2k
03-06-2014, 11:31 AM
I don't think the STI or EVO would be appropriate for her. I suggested the WRX because it's very reliable compared to the other two, mechanics know how to work on that engine in that configuration because it's common enough, and it gets better gas mileage. I'm assuming she doesn't want something extremely fast but wants something on the same level speed wise as the G35, but with some more space and utility.

STI's and EVO's are great fun and all but I sure as hell wouldn't DD one.

I have a friend who swears by his WRX, but he also lives in Minneapolis and one of the main reasons he likes it is the winter traction. He admits that if he lived somewhere warmer he'd probably drive his M3 most of the time, and if he had kids, he'd want to get something a little larger.

burnyd
03-06-2014, 01:44 PM
I am bringing my WRX to the dragon this year given my Mr2 will never make it plus the motor is on the floor right now :(

Anyways, my wife drives my car here and there for the 1500 dollars I have into my car Intake,DP,Exhaust,intercooler,tune,ECBS the car made 310whp and 320ft tq. It is roomy still gets 23mpg and hauls all of he groceries every Sunday. It is a great car for the 26000 I paid for it brand new last year. You just cant go wrong its the ultimate DD imho.

The g8 is great. Like others said its practically a 4 door corvette. However, the price tag is a lot higher than a WRX. I would also get a 2014 while you can as they are phasing out the 2.5 in the 15's and using that 2.0. Its weird because the STI's get the 2.5 the WRX's get a 2.0 :(

Hookecho
03-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Ooo, I do like the looks of the STI and WRX (without the rear spoiler). I'm going to try to take the Infiniti to the dealership next week; depending on what they say will determine how soon I buy a car. If it's nothing major, I'll just stick to the g35 for a little while. It is nice not having a car payment, lol. But at the same time, the fact that it is 11 years old and now over 100k with no Bruce to work on it does loom over my head. Thanks for the suggestions, guys :)

I will add, that I really like the look of the Mazda RX8... I know most everyone's negative opinion of Mazda's, but does anyone else like it? I like the coupe quad doors too. Just thinking...

4thgenceli
03-06-2014, 02:55 PM
I have a coworker who (I just recently discovered) is a weekend warrior track queen. She swears by her G8 and her husband's GTO at the track.

My worthless .02.

Hey look!

SQUIRREL!!!!!!!!

underscore
03-06-2014, 09:02 PM
IMO Evo's aren't common enough to have an easy time finding a competent mechanic, WRX/STi's are more common but 1) almost all of them are owned by cockheads and bagged on because they're the "fastest car ever", 2) Aren't those silly engines of theirs more time-intensive to work on due to the layout? Which equals higher maintenance bills when something breaks because of the aforementioned cockhead previous owner.

It doesnt matter what you have. If you appear to be a noob theyll treat you like a noob.

It has nothing to do with how they'll treat you, rather you need to be able to pick up on when they don't know shit about your car (like MrWOT did). If you can't pick up on that then you don't want something uncommon, the more common a car is the more likely a mechanic is to understand how to work on it properly. Maybe look at what kind of cars that appeal to you are common in your area, if there's lots of them around the local mechanics will be more familiar with them.

BabyBear
03-06-2014, 10:05 PM
2) Aren't those silly engines of theirs more time-intensive to work on due to the layout? Which equals higher maintenance bills when something breaks because of the aforementioned cockhead previous owner.

Spark plugs are about the only thing that I've had to do to one that sucked. Everything else was pretty easy to get to compared to other cars I've worked on.

Murgatroy
03-06-2014, 11:31 PM
That is why a high volume domestic is easier to work on. The G8, a Corvette, a Mustang, traditional RWD layout with a high volume engine with plentiful aftermarket.

Hell, even the kid down slinging parts at Autozone is an expert on a Mustang. Nearly every part made for my car that costs $200 and is an upgrade over stock.

I suppose fighting with a Celica for nearly two decades made me want to go back to something easier and simple. I do not think I will own another 'obscure' performance vehicle again. If there isn't a magazine at my local grocer dedicated to it, I won't own it.

burnyd
03-06-2014, 11:42 PM
IMO Evo's aren't common enough to have an easy time finding a competent mechanic, WRX/STi's are more common but 1) almost all of them are owned by cockheads and bagged on because they're the "fastest car ever", 2) Aren't those silly engines of theirs more time-intensive to work on due to the layout? Which equals higher maintenance bills when something breaks because of the aforementioned cockhead previous owner.

It has nothing to do with how they'll treat you, rather you need to be able to pick up on when they don't know shit about your car (like MrWOT did). If you can't pick up on that then you don't want something uncommon, the more common a car is the more likely a mechanic is to understand how to work on it properly. Maybe look at what kind of cars that appeal to you are common in your area, if there's lots of them around the local mechanics will be more familiar with them.

Hey tell me how you really feel!

Boxer engines are not bad to work on the only downfall I have experienced so far is having to do plugs on the car requires one motor mount being taken off unforutnately other than that everything is as simplistic if not easier than a regular motor.

Yes, I have a WRX but do not like others in the community coming from the mr2/celica scene.

burnyd
03-06-2014, 11:43 PM
That is why a high volume domestic is easier to work on. The G8, a Corvette, a Mustang, traditional RWD layout with a high volume engine with plentiful aftermarket.

Hell, even the kid down slinging parts at Autozone is an expert on a Mustang. Nearly every part made for my car that costs $200 and is an upgrade over stock.

I suppose fighting with a Celica for nearly two decades made me want to go back to something easier and simple. I do not think I will own another 'obscure' performance vehicle again. If there isn't a magazine at my local grocer dedicated to it, I won't own it.

This is true. 200 dollar parts like cam, intake and tune will really kick a lot of power on a lsx.

hobbie2k
03-07-2014, 12:27 AM
I will add, that I really like the look of the Mazda RX8... I know most everyone's negative opinion of Mazda's, but does anyone else like it? I like the coupe quad doors too. Just thinking...

The Mazda is an okay looker and a great driver, but I've heard it's a bit of a maintenance hog, and while the rear doors ease access to the back seat, it's still pretty tight back there.

Nitro_Alltrac
03-07-2014, 02:52 AM
From a lot of what I've read, the Mazda uses a lot of oil. They are a nice car but they require a lot of maintenance from what I've read.

underscore
03-07-2014, 03:36 AM
Hey tell me how you really feel!

Haha sorry if I came across a bit harsh, around here every WRX or STi gets an intake, obscenely loud exhaust, and a Cobb Access Port. Then it gets driven like it's stolen by a boy racer because he's convinced it's the fastest car on earth after said mods. Now obviously this isn't true for every owner but it seems to cover the vast majority.

4thgenceli
03-07-2014, 04:28 AM
The early RX8's were notorious for drinking oil. Something about one of the rotor seals failing...blah blah blah. They fixed it later though. Not sure if that's still an issue in the newest ones though.

The back seats are a bit cramped though.

burnyd
03-07-2014, 05:28 AM
Haha sorry if I came across a bit harsh, around here every WRX or STi gets an intake, obscenely loud exhaust, and a Cobb Access Port. Then it gets driven like it's stolen by a boy racer because he's convinced it's the fastest car on earth after said mods. Now obviously this isn't true for every owner but it seems to cover the vast majority.

I hear yah its all about stage 49849383948349384985948985 if you get joke haha. The typical wrx/sti owner purchases bolt ons gets a cobb ap and mud flaps then tells you its built haha.

burnyd
03-07-2014, 05:29 AM
Come on now I cant believe people are seriously recommending rotary motors. They are less reliable than 7MGTE stock head gasket.

T-spoon
03-07-2014, 06:35 AM
Come on now I cant believe people are seriously recommending rotary motors. They are less reliable than 7MGTE stock head gasket.

There's actually nothing wrong with the head gasket, it's that the heads are under torqued. :P

burnyd
03-07-2014, 06:37 AM
There's actually nothing wrong with the head gasket, it's that the heads are under torqued. :P

Yes you know what I mean :D. MLS head gasket definately changed the game for MKIIIs.

underscore
03-07-2014, 07:36 AM
I think we've concluded the best car would be a MKIII with an upgraded headgasket/studs.

I hear yah its all about stage 49849383948349384985948985 if you get joke haha. The typical wrx/sti owner purchases bolt ons gets a cobb ap and mud flaps then tells you its built haha.

Bahahahaha exactly this.

KoreanJoey
03-07-2014, 09:13 AM
The early RX8's were notorious for drinking oil. Something about one of the rotor seals failing...blah blah blah. They fixed it later though. Not sure if that's still an issue in the newest ones though.

The back seats are a bit cramped though.

Seriously... RX8... you need to go to bed.

bloodMoney
03-10-2014, 10:13 PM
Honestly Jennifer, I like the looks of the new Camry. You can get a loaded 2012 V6 SE Camry in the low $20k range.

Its basically the same engine as the IS 350, except for the direct injection.

IMHO, I would go this route. I've already decided that its going to be our next car.

Murgatroy
03-10-2014, 10:23 PM
You don't love the fake EVO anymore?

hobbie2k
03-11-2014, 02:35 AM
Honestly Jennifer, I like the looks of the new Camry. You can get a loaded 2012 V6 SE Camry in the low $20k range.

Its [i]basically[\i] the same engine as the IS 350, except for the direct injection.

IMHO, I would go this route. I've already decided that its going to be our next car.

Everything I've read about the new Camry suggests that it's competent transport and that's it. I personally felt the interior was cheap and plasticky with controls that has a poor action. I've only driven a new one once in downtown Adelaide so I couldn't get a feel for steering and handling, but the suspension seemed kinda confused by some of the bumps that didn't bother other cars on the test course...

No doubt it would serve you well, but I think there are better midsize options. Just be sure to give consideration and test drives to a wide range of models, even if you're 90% sure the first car is the one you want.

bloodMoney
03-11-2014, 05:13 AM
^It's funny, I feel like the interior had better craftsmanship than many of the other cars out there in the same price range. When they fist came out two years ago, I was traveling a lot for work and the Camry was far and Away the best of the rental cars I had. The previous generation was garbage, I'll agree to that, but I really feel like Toyota stepped their game up on his variant.

You don't love the fake EVO anymore?

I do. But I still want a new Camry sitting in my driveway

Nitro_Alltrac
03-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Just drive the Camry first. We looked at them before we order the IS. Even my wife, who is in no way a car person, felt that why it was a good, competent car, it didn't have any soul. There wasn't anything wrong with it, it just had an appliance feel to it. Everyone has different opinions about things like this. That's why there are so many cars on the market.

Don't get me wrong. It's a good car and I'm glad Toyota sells all of the ones they do. We build engines and transmissions for them and that is good business. Just drive one first to make sure that it's for you.

Murgatroy
03-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Everyone has different opinions about things like this. That's why there are so many cars on the market.

Truth. I am flabbergasted as to why everyone doesn't drive V6 Mustangs... It just makes so much sense...

celica9303
03-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Truth. I am flabbergasted as to why everyone doesn't drive V6 Mustangs... It just makes so much sense...

Because v6 ' s don't belong in muscle cars. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Murgatroy
03-11-2014, 10:36 PM
Because v6 ' s don't belong in muscle cars. Just my opinion.

But 300HP does. And that is something the GT V8s weren't even doing five years ago...

I know not a lot of you are old enough to remember the time when the 'top of the line performance' cars were putting out less than 200HP. The old Camaro Z28, the Crossfire 'Vettes, the Mustang GT. There was a time the Mustang didn't even have a V8 option.

The Mustang was originally designed around a six cylinder.

hobbie2k
03-11-2014, 10:59 PM
The Mustang was originally designed around a six cylinder.

Same for the Corvette. When the Mustang comes to Australia in a couple years it's going to have a turbo 4-cylinder that is still more powerful than the V8 of 90s....

Murgatroy
03-11-2014, 11:11 PM
Same for the Corvette. When the Mustang comes to Australia in a couple years it's going to have a turbo 4-cylinder that is still more powerful than the V8 of 90s....

You have no idea what a roar of dismay is coming from the opinionated Mustang fanbois that don't know the history of the car. Nearly NO ONE remembers the SVO Mustang. That WAS the top of the line Mustang in the mid `80s. As a matter of fact nearly all of the fastest cars in the `80s were powered by four or six cylinders. The fabled Buick GNX was pretty much the fastest available domestic of the decade and we all know what powered that, a turbo six.

I understand that everyone has an opinion, but please be prepared to defend it when you are wrong. I am shocked I haven't been banned from the Mustang Forums for picking fights with the <`10 V8 cats when I point out that my V6 has nearly identical statistics, and gets 10+ more MPG than they do. Or god help all the 'sky is falling' crowd about the 'wimpy four banger ruining the Mustang...'

I do understand I am biased and opinionated, and part of it stems from the fact that my very first car was a four banger Mustang, and that I have spent the last fifteen years hanging with higher HP cars in a lowly 103 HP Celica in the curves.

I won't lie, I would love to have a 450HP Coyote 5.0 Mustang, or a 250HP Celica Alltrac. But I don't hang my head in shame because I don't have them.

4thgenceli
03-11-2014, 11:22 PM
Prius.

Win.

/thread

celica9303
03-12-2014, 12:34 AM
Well said murg, I was just pressing your buttons.....

Murgatroy
03-12-2014, 01:25 AM
Well said murg, I was just pressing your buttons.....

I know. And I fall for it every time too.

celica9303
03-12-2014, 01:43 AM
I know. And I fall for it every time too.

Lol I didn't know about the corvettes thought those always had a 8 in em. I did know about the Mustang and the svo.

Murgatroy
03-12-2014, 04:20 AM
The Corvette's first engine was called The Blue Flame Six.

hobbie2k
03-12-2014, 07:04 AM
The very early Corvettes had the Blue Flame six in them, probably because it was designed to compete with the European roadsters flooding the US after WWII. I think you can tell them by their single unit headlights. I think they switched to the twin units at the same time the V8 was introduced. I could be wrong, though. I did think the old 4.0L Mustangs were a bit of a joke, too soft, too cheap, to compromised; but the 3.7L is a much better engine for a car with sporting aspirations and makes the V6 Mustang a legitimate performance car.

If the 86/BRZ twins have taught us anything, it's that performance isn't about the size of your engine, it's how the whole package makes you feel.

Back on topic, buy a Pontiac G8 GT :)

Nitro_Alltrac
03-12-2014, 11:07 AM
The earlier Vettes, 53-54, had the six because the small block Chevy didn't come out till 1955. Up till the late 70's/early 80's, each GM division had there own engine architecture and Chevrolet didn't get their V8 till 1955.

Murgatroy
03-12-2014, 11:36 AM
The earlier Vettes, 53-54, had the six because the small block Chevy didn't come out till 1955. Up till the late 70's/early 80's, each GM division had there own engine architecture and Chevrolet didn't get their V8 till 1955.
And they didn't put an oil filter on it until `56...