PDA

View Full Version : squealing belt

819_ay
03-01-2014, 03:01 AM
hey guys, i need help ...my alternator belt is squealing quite a bit lately , and i dont know how to make it go away...it's very annoying

thanks in advance

buffalohunter7321
03-01-2014, 04:31 AM
Could be your alternator is starting to freeze up causing the belt to brake eventually.

819_ay
03-01-2014, 04:36 AM
Does that mean I need to change it? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question lol

Sent using Tapatalk

T-spoon
03-01-2014, 09:29 AM
The belt could also simply be too loose causing it to slip, assuming it's not just wet all the time. Check the tension on it and inspect the inside (the part of the belt that actually touches the pulleys) and make sure it's not rotten looking/cracked etc. If the tension is good and the belt looks good, try to pinpoint exactly when it squeals and when it doesn't. Getting wet will cause it to make noise, as will any issue with any of the pulleys it runs, including alternator, power steering, A/C, or idler/tensioner. If the sound is only when the A/C is on, then that's often the clutch starting to seize. Idlers are also more likely to make noise over time than one of the accessories. But in any event, definitely pinpoint the noise before you start replacing things, that could get really expensive.

819_ay
03-01-2014, 02:21 PM
I don't have AC anymore, the belt seems a bit loose, and it happens more often than other when I downshift... I will try to tighten it up and see what happens... I changed the clutch 2 1/2 years ago with a spec stage 2 so I'm hopping it's not that

Sent using Tapatalk

buffalohunter7321
03-02-2014, 02:01 AM
Like T-spoon said find out just what is causing it to squeal. Believe me it is better to find the problem now before it breaks, because if it breaks you will have to check every thing to find what is causing it to squeal.

underscore
03-02-2014, 08:43 AM
If the belt is loose, tighten it. I'm not sure what the clutch has to do with belt squeal.

Nitro_Alltrac
03-03-2014, 01:43 AM
The clutch that Spoon was talking about is the AC clutch on the front of the compressor not the trans clutch.

819_ay
03-03-2014, 02:50 AM
Oh I see... Well I'm looking to buying a new belt, mine is super slack And it's squealing even more... Hope it will fix the problem thanks

Sent using Tapatalk