PDA

View Full Version : Broken superstrut ST205

ST205 TRD
02-25-2014, 08:12 PM
There is severe knocking sound coming from both sides at the front. It seems to be much more noticeable at low speed, and only occurs when I get a sudden lift of the wheel. When driving on rough gravel or bridgestone it sounds really bad.
It sound like metal on metal and both sides are equally bad.
I`ve had it in three different garages but noone can find anything broken.

I have changed the bushing on the front stabilisor, figure eight links and the hub ball joint but it did not improve. Can the camber control arm or the banana arm make noises like this? Because these havent been changed.

It is now so bad that the car is bearly driveable on anything else than smooth roads.

All the bushings/rods have been checked by professionals and seems to be allright.

What can this be???? Please help!!!

Funkycheeze
02-25-2014, 10:47 PM
It can be the banana arm or the other lower control arm. Most of the time both those arms, as well as the figure 8 and upper ball joint are all replaced at once.

alltracman78
02-28-2014, 02:43 AM
If the Superstrut parts have all been checked and they're ok, have you checked the swaybar and links?

ST205 TRD
02-28-2014, 07:15 PM
Yes they have been checked and replaced. I was pretty sure it was the swaybar bushes, so was the guy at Toyota. But changing them made no difference. Links seem ok to.
Could the shocks themselves make noises like this? The Toyota mech. thought so. (But he is a idiot)

Many experienced mechanics have checked the whole front suspension and Ive used many hours dismantling and checking myself. Cant find anything :(
Its really strange because the noise is pretty severe. Should not be so difficult to locate. Im driving around with a feeling something is gonna break and will loose control at any moment. The steering feels a bit funny, like it wont stay centered and travel straight wihout constant corrections. (Could be the roads).

Just had the car checked by road authoroties (DNV??). They could hear the noise and told me it was the hub ball joint. Changing this did not do anything to improve the noise.

Funkycheeze
02-28-2014, 09:41 PM
Is the steering rack ok? Not sloppy and the tie rods are good?

Funkycheeze
02-28-2014, 09:41 PM
Also check the rubber strut mounts (rubber bushing at the top of the strut, right under the hood)

Facime
02-28-2014, 09:43 PM
That could be internal to the strut itself. There are bushings involved inside that keep the rod aligned and that keep the valving in place as well. I can see a failure that still allows the strut to function under compression, rebound and damping, but still be failed internally making them knock. (The forks on my street bike make a similiar knocking but still function perfectly under normal conditions)

This type of failure would be hard to diagnose while still assembled on the car as they are under spring tension. The only way to check them is to remove them from the car, remove the spring and check the action of the strut rod (specifically, look for side to side play).

Another thing that can fail that will give this kind of a knock and be hard to find is the upper strut mount/bearing. These can also be checked with the strut out of the car.

Edit: FC beat me to the point on the upper mount, so I guess I second that notion.

alltracman78
02-28-2014, 10:56 PM
Yeah, going by the symptoms strut mount sounds like the most likely thing.

ST205 TRD
03-01-2014, 05:57 AM
I will definately check the strut mounts as soon as I have a lift available. But Facime, when u say "internal to the strut itself" ....... do you mean the shock? Techinical english is hard sometimes :)
If so I will replace the mounts and try different coilovers. (Have some Tein SS laying around somewhere).
I will also check the steering rack itself and the tie rods.

If neither of theese can sort it out I think I`ll cry a little inside :)
Thanks for the help.

Facime
03-01-2014, 10:59 PM
Yes, by strut I mean the "shock". "Strut" is the proper term for the assembly as its a structural member of the suspension that includes the spring and a shock absorber working together as one unit.

ST205 TRD
03-02-2014, 02:59 AM
Thank you :)

I will eliminate both by installing the Tein kit. If im not mistaking they replace the top rubber mount with aluminium?? . But Im not sure. Anyone know?
I tried to post a picture but I can only post pictures from the web??

Do you guys have experience with the Tein super street on a st205?? Looks easy to install..... Is it?

Funkycheeze
03-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Yeah most of those coilover kits come with a solid pillow block heim joint style bearing to replace the upper strut mount.

The only complaint that I have heard about the Tein kits is that they are very stiff. You might try taking a look at the strut mounts first, it is an easy fix.

ST205 TRD
03-05-2014, 03:30 PM
Ohh.... To stiff is not good on broken tarmac with potholes. Lots of that here. But I want to try them anyway. Also then I will know if the knocking comes from the coilover assembly/top mount or not.
Do you know if the ride height adjusting will affect stiffnes?

Funkycheeze
03-05-2014, 08:59 PM
No - they are stiff due to the spring rate and shock valving.

Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to change out the strut top mounts first? Even if it is the shock, you can get replacements for a lot cheaper than coilovers.

Facime
03-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Hes already got the coilovers, so at this point, that is his cheapest option.

ST205 TRD
01-28-2015, 12:49 PM
Facime was right its inside the strut (damper). Mechanic at Toyota had the exact same problem on hes st205. Something about a loose piston hitting the damper wall.