PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 2001 Toyota celiac engine problem

jmuschweck
02-23-2014, 10:05 PM
Hello,

I have a 2001 Toyota Celica with approximately 171,000 miles on it. Yesterday I was driving the car and when i tried to go up a long steep hill, the car started backfiring and sputtering and losing power. It never stalled, but I had to go the rest of the way up the hill at idle power. If I try to accelerate above 65 mph or so on level ground, somewhere above 3500 rpm, the car does the same thing.

Autozone and Advance auto parts both read the codes, and its coming back multiple cylinder misfire. I believe all 4 cylinders were reading a misfire. i replaced the plugs, but still having the same problems.

Any ideas? Advance auto parts suggested replacing the coil packs. They have never been replaced, but I am finding it hard to believe all 4 are toast.

Thank you

Facime
02-23-2014, 10:29 PM
A backfire and power loss could be ignition but I would suspect fuel first. If it still idles reasonably well but just cant build power or rpm I would suggest its possibly a fuel filter, but more likely a failing fuel pump. Test the fuel pressure at the rail.