PDA

View Full Version : GTS won't start, just makes a loud click

underscore
02-17-2014, 10:29 PM
1992 GTS, stock 5SFE, when I reconnect the battery (it's been sitting for ~1.5 years now) everything works fine with the key in and turned to ON (lights, heater fans etc) but as soon as I turn it to start there's a loud click and everything dies. At first I thought it was a fuse but if I disconnect and reconnect the battery it goes back to the way it was until I try to start it.

I'm assuming it's a circuit breaker somewhere that resets itself but I can't seem to find it. Any help? I'm guessing a rat or something chewed up some wire under the hood but I have no clue where to start looking.

CollapsedNut
02-17-2014, 11:28 PM
I'd start with testing and charging the battery, it may have enough amperage to run the other stuff but a starter requires a lot more. There is no breaker that's going to reset itself that I'm aware of.

crymson
02-18-2014, 12:17 AM
Also check that your terminal leads are good. the smaller (negative?) terminal on my alltrac is cracked, and exhibits very similar symptoms.

underscore
02-18-2014, 12:48 AM
The battery was pulled from a running car, when I first hooked up the nearly dead one all I got was lots of clicking and flashing lights.

The terminal leads sounds like a good point, as I recall they are very old and crummy.

KoreanJoey
02-19-2014, 02:14 PM
Tap the starter while cranking.

Lonestag
02-19-2014, 03:02 PM
Joey has the right idea, try tapping the starter.

If you want to take it a step furthur, you could attempt to apply 12V directly to the starter, though I doubt that is a factory approved method, it should get the starter cranking.

Galcobar
02-21-2014, 02:52 AM
When you say everything dies, you mean all the electronics shut off when you try to start the car, and don't come back if you cycle the key off and on (ON, not START)?

Tapping the starter works if the solenoid gets current to close the plunger but, due to contact wear, cannot create a good enough connection to turn the starter motor. However, if the electronics die and stay dead upon trying to start the car, I'd be inclined to check the wiring around the ignition and starter relays. A weak battery doesn't explain the electronics staying dead after the key is released from the START position, but a short caused by a relay closing might.

KoreanJoey
02-21-2014, 05:45 AM
Good point.

underscore
02-21-2014, 06:05 PM
I mean everything is gone, lights, chimes, fan, etc. Right now I'm guessing either a short or bad connection, since the factory terminals suck as is and they're really grungy I'm gonna start there this afternoon.