PDA

View Full Version : Drivers side Door won't open

celica9303
02-04-2014, 09:41 AM
So after work I went out to the car like normal unlocked door and got in. Went to shut door, it wouldn't close, tried a few more times after moving the latch (which seemed flimsy) and got it to stay shut.i can move the door back and forth so I know it's not shut completely sort of speak but won't Un latch. Lock and unlock work but door won't open with either handle exterior or interior. No resistance what so ever.

I think the latching mechanism broke. Any ideas on how to get the door open with out destroying it?

Can't take door panel off with the door closed obviously.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

grimmythereaper
02-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Cut out the door handle from the outside, without cutting the door.u should be able to get ur hand in the door and play with the latch. U will need replacement parts however.

Galcobar
02-05-2014, 03:56 AM
Two less destructive options present themselves: from the top or from the handle.

You should be able to remove the bezel around the interior door handle. If you're lucky, you'll find something disconnected there. More likely is that one of the rods came loose from the plastic clips which link the lock switch and handles to the latch/lock mechanism. You cannot reconnect them without removing the door panel, but you may be able to reach the rods which operate the latch through the window opening. It's how I was able to open my door after a friend yanked on the handle while I was unlocking it (which disconnected the rods).

The rods which control the latch are of course vertical, but at the top both have a right angle bend -- this is where they connect to the handles. A coat hanger or similarly stiff wire hook should be able to catch the bend and thus open the latch. You can see this in some detail in the BGB Body section, specifically pages BO-5 and BO-11.

celica9303
02-05-2014, 04:21 AM
Thanks guys I'll see what can be done after all this snow goes away.....we're slated for 10 more inches over night

celica9303
02-05-2014, 05:41 PM
Well we ended up with about a foot of snow so needless to say my celica and I are staying home today due to snow emergency level.was hoping to look at it today but Meh oh well

celica9303
02-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Well slight update. Drove it to work and back. On way there door randomly started working @ gas station. ...hmmmmm

93celicaconv
02-07-2014, 02:09 PM
Is it possible you got water in the latch mechanism of the door (the part that latches the door to the chassis)? I've had this many times on Celicas. Getting out a hair dryer and blowing hot air at the latch for 10-15 minutes usually solved the problem (long enough to melt the ice and dry it out to some degree). With you having snow and cold temperatures - seems like a possibility.

Galcobar
02-08-2014, 11:04 PM
That's absolutely a possibility. I've run into that in the last couple of years with my power locks -- the driver's side lock doesn't fully disengage in cold temperatures when I use my car alarm to unlock the doors. The passenger's side works fine, and the driver's side works if the key or the interior manual switch is used. Polishing any corrosion built up on the mechanism followed by a little silicone lubricant may solve the issue.

Though, I'd also check the condition of those little plastic clips, as they are also susceptible to temperature changes.

MCcelica
02-09-2014, 11:15 PM
Haha my passenger door did this last week. Once it was warmer, though, she decided to play a little nicer.

Murgatroy
02-10-2014, 09:03 PM
Yeah, I am going to go with ice in the mechanism.

Galcobar
02-10-2014, 11:12 PM
Doesn't have to be ice -- freezing temperatures are a rarity in my area, and the door latch is still affected by cold.

93celicaconv
02-10-2014, 11:23 PM
Doesn't have to be ice -- freezing temperatures are a rarity in my area, and the door latch is still affected by cold.

In this case, Galcobar, you might want to spray some kind of lubricant (WD-40, liquid graphite, silicone, etc.) into your latch area, as you may have grease that is getting hard and causing a sticking problem, or you may no longer have any lubricant and you need some. Used to be this kind of chassis lubrication was a routine recommendation in owners manuals, but don't see it much anymore.