PDA

View Full Version : small oil leak

crymson
02-03-2014, 06:16 AM
I moved my st185 alltrac today and found a small oil puddle under it. it's been sitting for about 4 months now, and it wasn't a particularly large puddle, maybe the size of my hand. I cant find any definitive source of a leak. It's clear, thin, and has a slightly sulphur smell, definitely not engine oil. Any ideas where to start looking?

4thgenceli
02-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Where was the leak at in relation to the vehicle?

My guess is power steering or shocks.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

crymson
02-04-2014, 02:05 AM
The puddle was near the front of the engine bay. Nowhere near a strut or shock. I'll have a look at the power steering level.

Lonestag
02-04-2014, 04:21 AM
Yeah,
I'm thinking power steering as well. Only because it is suspended in lines where gravity might draw it out if a seal contracted in the cold and started to leak when it got cold. I could see breaks doing this, but I think most of the ones in the engine bay are metal hard lines.

I guess it could technically be clutch fluid as well, but that would be a stretch.

I'm pretty sure it isn't blinker fluid as I have been recently informed that such a thing does not exist.

Good luck!

Funkycheeze
02-04-2014, 10:56 PM
Could also be gear oil from the transaxle. the GL5 oil specified in the transaxle of the alltracs and GT fours has a slightly sulfurous smell to it.

Is it under either of the front halfshaft seals, or the rear output shaft seal?

T-spoon
02-05-2014, 05:48 AM
^ I was thinking gear oil when he described the smell. It's pretty distinctive (and nasty). IMO, most other fluids are rather bland in comparison

hobbie2k
02-06-2014, 02:19 AM
Gear oil has a far more distinctive smell than other fluids, so that was my first thought as well. My Pulsar leaks a little gear oil from the half-shaft seal and a little from the gear-selector seal, and it's a clear oil with a definite smell.

crymson
02-17-2014, 10:07 AM
A bit of thread revival, but-...

I crawled under the car saturday without moving it first (which I stupidly did last time). It's definitely right under the driver side axle right against the transmission, which means the seals are going, no? How involved is dropping and tearing down the transmission? I've got a friend with a press, so I'm not worried about the bearings, but I do have a somewhat limited selection of tools. I do have an impact and compressor, and a torque wrench.

T-spoon
02-17-2014, 04:17 PM
If it's just the axle seal at the transmission (likely), then all you have to do is pull the half shaft out of the trans and put a new seal in. I'm sure that's less pleasant in an alltrac than some other cars (did one in the spyder in about an hour), but shouldn't be too bad and shouldn't involve dropping the trans or messing with any bearings.

crymson
02-17-2014, 08:03 PM
T-spoon, that's the first good news I've heard all day!

T-spoon
02-18-2014, 12:48 AM
^ Keep in mind when I say "Less pleasant in an alltrac" what I mean is that it's probably rather unpleasant indeed, but not as bad as dropping the whole trans :hehe:

crymson
02-18-2014, 01:58 AM
Well, I finally tracked down the causes the reoccurring check engine lights in my GTS and discovered I'm in for a joyous operation of removing the charcoal canister to get at the VSV there.

the truth is getting the axle out is probably a fairly trival given that at least one of my front wheel bearings is bad and I need to replace the front disks to accommodate the Porsche calipers I have sitting in my garage :D

After I get the hubs off to get to the wheel bearings, I doubt the axle will end up being that much *more* work.

T-spoon
02-18-2014, 03:39 AM
Oh, nope, it shouldn't be.

Funkycheeze
02-18-2014, 09:10 PM
If you are taking out both axles, do both seals. They are cheap.

I think it took me a grand total of 90 minutes on Tara's 205, even with the more complex suspension (although I do have a lift and lots of fancy tools)

T-spoon
02-19-2014, 01:48 AM
If you are taking out both axles, do both seals. They are cheap.

I think it took me a grand total of 90 minutes on Tara's 205, even with the more complex suspension (although I do have a lift and lots of fancy tools)

*threadjack* darn people with their darn lifts and air tools. My shoulders and hips are still killing me from doing the Supra's clutch Saturday.. rolling around on the (sloped) driveway under the car with hand tools FTL. */threadjack*