PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Interchangability

Doowstados
01-12-2014, 12:07 AM
Does anyone know if it is possible to use a 6th or 7th gen steering wheel on a 5th gen? I'd like to swap mine out with one of those, I'm not a fan of the huge OEM size on the 5th gens but I want to keep an OEM appearance.

celicatuner92
01-12-2014, 01:30 AM
Yes you will just need an airbag adapter. Lots on the boards about it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

crymson
01-12-2014, 02:43 AM
7th gen is a drop in replacement with the airbag adaptor, I've got one in my alltrac if you wanna know how it looks.. Here's the How-to (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?39642-Steering-Wheel-Swap&highlight=)

This is the adaptor wire (https://toyota.service-solutions.com/detail.aspx?id=407&p=173&g=0), where I bought mine a year ago. Note these guys used to be called SPX.

Shadowlife25
01-12-2014, 11:21 PM
I stickied your How-To. ;)

Doowstados
01-13-2014, 01:01 AM
Thanks man! That write up is perfect. Now to find a cheap 7th gen wheel...

crymson
01-13-2014, 03:51 AM
Craigslist is a good bet, lots of salvage yards post up with parts cars. Also, find a leather one, they look much nicer than the vinyl ones (the one in the how-to is vinyl).

Mine is red stitched and came out of either a Corolla or a Matrix, it's otherwise identical to the one out of my 7th gen, so you should be fine with a steering wheel that looks the part.

Luni
01-17-2014, 02:54 AM
The wheels are cheap. The Airbags are NOT.

Also keep in mind that cruise control MAY or MAY NOT work. Resistance values differ between cruise modules in the newer airbags. Example: I can use a Corolla S wheel in my MR2 with no issues, but the 7th Gen has different resistance values and cruise wont work with its module.

crymson
01-17-2014, 03:53 AM
The wheels are cheap. The Airbags are NOT.

Also keep in mind that cruise control MAY or MAY NOT work. Resistance values differ between cruise modules in the newer airbags. Example: I can use a Corolla S wheel in my MR2 with no issues, but the 7th Gen has different resistance values and cruise wont work with its module.

I avoided this issue entirely by reusing the cruise module from my original wheel in the new wheel. It required a little dremel work and tapping a hole that was already in the new steering wheel but not used.

Luni
01-17-2014, 10:16 PM
The only problem with that is the module sticks down at an angle and not out sideways like its supposed to.

But yes, that definitely works.

crymson
01-18-2014, 01:20 AM
My new steering wheel was not cruise equipped, so I didn't have lots of choices :)