PDA

View Full Version : ST205 (3S-GTE) Overheating

NikoSwe
01-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Hi!

I'm new to this site and also to the Celica world. I bought a Celica ST205 GT-4 from 1994 a few months ago. Car is a J-Spec version with a unknown number of owners thru the years, mainly because the car was sold new in Japan, imported to the UK in 2010 and then imported to Sweden in 2011.

On the way back from the purchase the problems started to stack up.

First and most important, the engine overheats every time the turbo is charging(!) Car can be driven without "using" the turbo without problems (engine temp is a nudge below the middle) but every single time the turbopressure rises above 0 bar the temp starts climbing.

Is this a known issue with the 3S-GTE engines?

Below is a list of what's been done to try and fix this;
- Changed waterpump
- Changed thermostat
- Changed timing belt (due to faulty mounting by previous owner)
- Bled the radiator system multiple times
- Checked the intercooler system and forced the electric water pump to constant on.
- Checked for exhaust gas in the coolant (No gas found, but the car was driven "without" turbo)

Maby more, but that's what I can remember.

Is it the head gasket? Is it a crack in the head?
Has anyone had similar problems?

Doowstados
01-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Have you checked the radiator fins for clogging? Also, more importantly, is it using a proper radiator setup (not some cheap plastic chinese one)?

Funkycheeze
01-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Do a combustion gas test on the radiator coolant (also known as a 'block check' test) and a leakdown test with the rad cap off. Sounds like a blown head gasket to me.

Galcobar
01-18-2014, 09:32 AM
Do the fans on the radiator begin to spin when the temperature rises?

Luni
01-21-2014, 09:15 AM
My vote is either for blown head gasket or even a cracked cylinder wall. That isnt uncommon with the thin walled first rendition third gen 3SGTEs.

Id skip straight to the exhaust gas in the coolant check or even just a leakdown test. If you have a BHG or cracked cylinder wall, youll hear bubbling in your coolant when you find the offending cylinder/area.

NikoSwe
01-24-2014, 12:27 PM
Thanks for all the answers!

- The radiator fans are working correctly (one is almost constanly on and the other one just when the temp is climbing).
- Waterpump for IC was working correcly, now forced to constant on for extra cooling.
- Radiator is Toyota original part. Could ofcourse have some "radiator fixing goo" inside, but it seems to be in good condition.

I'm going to do a leakdown test asap, but I have done a major heart surgery recently so I can't work with the car for maby a couple of months. :(
Thank's for the help, and I'll write up what the leakdown test shows when it's done.

Funkycheeze
01-24-2014, 09:13 PM
Do a combustion gas test on the radiator neck also. This tests for combustion gases in the coolant from a BHG or cracked block - sometimes called a 'block test'

ChrisD
01-27-2014, 03:55 AM
Well, glad to hear you're recovering! Much more important than working on the car. :)

Does sound like a head gasket to me as well. Do the checks the others mentioned to be sure.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk