PDA

View Full Version : ST165 - Any tricks to removing the axles?

UtahSleeper
01-01-2014, 01:16 AM
In the BGB it says to remove the axle from the hub going to the transmission. I have read that it is better to remove the axle with the hub as to not have to fight with all the crap between the hub and axle.

My question is, which way would you all recommend that have done this? And if I am to remove the axle with hub attached, what is the best way to get it dislodged from the transmission?

I am in the last steps of dismantling before dropping the motor.

Thanks in advance.

Facime
01-01-2014, 02:17 AM
There are usually two issues getting the axles off: getting the axle nut off to be able to remove the hub, and getting the axle shaft out of the trans. For me even with a decent impact Ive had trouble getting axle nuts off and have always used the breaker bar wedge against the floor and using the engine to break it loose. It sound radical but its really not and its really easy. Since you dont have that option an impact, or a long breaker bar and someone holding the brakes should work. If you pull the hub from the axle end then you can leave the steering attached and get the axle past the hub. You still have to pull the hub from the strut and the lower control arm though so doing the sreering end link isnt really that much more.

I personally have never tried removing an axle from the trans with the hub still attached. The ring clip holding the axle in the trans can be a bit of a bitch to break free. The hard thing is there really is no good place to pry the axle back. Ive had some success in the past using two prybars on either side of the inner CV housing using the transaxle as my pry point, but its always a pain in the ass. Some people have gone so far as to tear the axle apart at the inner CV just to get a solid place to attach a slide hammer. If you are wanting to reuse your axles that isnt a good option. Sometimes they come out easy, and other times they are a nightmare.

I personally would recommend taking the hubs off and working at the axle that way. This would give you a chance to inspect the wheel bearings anyway, and since Ive had several wheel bearings fail on older celicas recently I would recommend just replacing them while you have it all apart anyway. They have to be pressed out and back in place so you will either need a hydraulic press table (Harbor freight?) of just pay a shop to do it. I have a shop do mine and I get charged 1/2 hr labor for each.

CollapsedNut
01-01-2014, 02:52 AM
Just take it loose from the hub, shouldn't take more than 30 min per axle to R&R.

Remove axle nut
Remove bolts holding strut tower to the hub
See if you can push the axle out of the hub by pulling the hub down, twords you, maybe twisting like turning the wheel, usually it will come out when the right combination is found.
If it just cant get out then remove the tie rod end and that should give you enough play room.
Grab that sucker and yank it out of the tranny, don't be a pussy.

On my 162 taking the ball joints out is cake so if the 165 is the same then it's really not that big a deal to remove the hub. You just unbolt the ball joint from the lower A arm and leave it in the hub.

UtahSleeper
01-01-2014, 09:23 PM
I will give it a try to yank it. My concern was just pulling the axle out of the inner joint/boot and screwing the axles up.

CollapsedNut
01-01-2014, 09:40 PM
Nah. Unless your boot is all ready junk it'll be just fine. I've never pulled one apart and I've done it that way more times than I can count. Doesn't the passenger side axle shaft go thru a pillow block bearing mounted behind the engine? I know my 162 has that and I don't recall how that works so you may need to unbolt that from the engine block and take it off with the axle. Just look at it and you'll see.

UtahSleeper
01-02-2014, 03:26 AM
Apparently I was being too soft yesterday. Gave the axles a quick tug today and both came out easily. Allowed me to remove my motor finally.

CollapsedNut
01-02-2014, 03:45 AM
Told ya. Never question me again.

Shadowlife25
01-09-2014, 05:50 AM
LOL.

I remember the first time I had to pull the axles in my 185 and I didn't want to damage something...
Then I called Luni and he said "Just yank that fucker out like you got a pair. It's easy." So I did. And it was good.

:D :D :D

UtahSleeper
01-09-2014, 05:42 PM
LOL!!! Glad I'm not the only one.

Shadowlife25
01-12-2014, 11:05 PM
LOL!!! Glad I'm not the only one.

;)

After you do it once, you can do it again easy as pie. :)