PDA

View Full Version : Changing the down pipe with the turbo still mounted

Nitro_Alltrac
12-28-2013, 07:25 PM
So I'm finally changing the down pipe out. My repairs didn't last very long. I've got a 3" long and about 1/8" wide crack on the back side.

Any way, I thought I had put in on with everything mounted but I must have put it on when I had the manifold off. I got everything loose and it is close to coming off. I've pulled three of the mounting studs out of the turbo so far. I think I only need to get the far bottom one out (of course it's being a bitch) and the old pipe should come out.

Anybody got any tips on doing thing with a lot of swearing? I really think Toyota used some GM engineers to design the placement of the oil filter and some of the other parts around the exhaust and turbo on the 3S. At least the 2nd gen.

T-spoon
12-29-2013, 02:14 AM
Removing stock downpipe or an aftermarket?

Nitro_Alltrac
12-29-2013, 04:13 AM
It's an old Aussie pipe.

Shadowlife25
12-29-2013, 09:37 AM
I think I had to remove the oil filter and then remove the big center bolt for the oil cooler to get that last teensy bit of clearance on mine.
Though it is possible I am remembering working on something else entirely on the car that necessitated that. :D
lol sorry I couldn't be of more help Mike. You know what they say, "they mind is the first thing to..... where am I?"

Nitro_Alltrac
12-29-2013, 03:45 PM
Thanks Mario. I think you're right. I'm lacking maybe an 1/8". If I could get that last damn stud to come out I think I could get it. Of course I'm sure I'm going to run into a whole different set of issues getting the Berk pipe back in. It's pretty beefy.

How bad was the oil cooler to get loose? Does it have to come out or just take that center nut loose?

Oh, and you're not the only one with the mind starting to go my friend!

Shadowlife25
12-29-2013, 06:28 PM
Pretty certain that I just removed the filter and removed the center nut thing on the oil cooler. It doesn't need to come out completely. Just be careful not to tweak the hardlines and you should be fine.

Nitro_Alltrac
12-31-2013, 08:44 PM
Well I got the center piece out and the downpipe is real close to coming off. That damn bottom stud is still caught just a little. It's too cold and windy to mess with it much today. It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow.

I really miss having the garage. I got a driveway put in here and that is better but it's still no garage.

ChrisD
01-01-2014, 04:06 PM
Yeah usually just a lot of swearing. With the aussie pipe would have thought it would be easier, but sometimes it's just that little bit. Keep at it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Nitro_Alltrac
01-01-2014, 04:14 PM
I think I'm going to have to take the AC line loose from the compressor. That won't be an issue as my AC isn't working right now and has a leak any way. Hopefully I might get a few minutes to try and do it today.

Nitro_Alltrac
01-01-2014, 11:37 PM
Well I got the old one out after taking the AC line loose. I've got the new one sitting in there but I'm going to have to jack the car up and manipulate the bottom to get it to go over all the studs. I got the very bottom into the flange but still have to the the ones closest to the block in. The bottom flange of the downpipe is catching on the midpipe flange. It was just to cool and windy to get on the ground today.

Here's a comparison of the old and new pipes.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/7/9/1/20140101_145403.jpg (http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=23533)

Here's the crack in the old one. It was worse than I thought after I got the pipe out.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/7/9/1/20140101_145419.jpg (http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=23534)

ChrisD
01-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Well good job! Yeah I've pulled my a/c so that's not in the way any more on the 165 anyway. Midpipe can be a pain. It can be helpful to loosen it as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Nitro_Alltrac
01-06-2014, 02:55 AM
Well, I got it on and started putting the studs back and then I remembered that one of them needs to be set in the downpipe before the pipe goes on (it won't clear the the pipe to go into the flange straight). Once the weather gets a little better, supposed to be down around zero here the next couple of days, I'll get it on. I know what I need to do now.

I really want to get this damn thing done and get the car back on the road. I really hate leaving sit this long.

Nitro_Alltrac
01-10-2014, 11:16 PM
Well I'm happy. Got the new down pipe mounted to the turbo this afternoon. Still have one nut to tighten but otherwise, it's mounted. It actually went pretty smooth this afternoon. I did have to take it back off because I forgot to set the front bottom stud into the pipe flange before getting the pipe up on the turbo studs (the bend of the pipe won't allow for the stud to be inserted from the outside). Other than that, it actually went on pretty smooth.

I'm right in the middle of ground zero of the "don't use your water for anything" zone here in WV and Toyota actually shut the plant down mid morning because of the water situation. This worked out for me since the weather was decent today. Hopefully I can finish bolting thing up over the weekend and get it on the road.

I think I may also have found my disapearing coolant. It looks like the radiator might have leak that has gotten bigger now behind the fan shroud. After I get the car back running, I'm checking that out to make sure. I've got to get this crap fixed before the Dragon in March.

Nitro_Alltrac
02-22-2014, 08:43 PM
Just an update. Have had a beautiful day today so I was able to get all the bolts tightened up and the car started (after charging the damn battery). Appear to have taken care of all of the exhaust leaks. I am going to have to get back under it though and I've got a rattle now that I didn't have before. I think the mid pipe is down a little more with the new downpipe and it's hitting the cross member. I had this problem years ago and got it taken care of. Now it back. Hopefully won't be too bad to fix. It was great have the car out on the road. I've got to drive it a good bit over the next month to make sure that thinks are good before heading to the Dragon at the end of March. Hopefully the weather holds a bit.

I'm going to pressure check the radiator. It was full when I started on the downpipe but after jacking the front up, it was down more than a quart. I could see some coolant drops in places underneath while I was working but I've got to find out what's going on. After driving the car for about an hour, the coolant was still at the same level in the radiator. That is getting on my nerves bad.

Nitro_Alltrac
02-23-2014, 10:43 PM
Well I borrowed a coolant pressure tester today and sure enough, at least one leak in the radiator. I've got at least one leak in the top tank by the bracket for the cooling fan. I can't see any others but my the amount of coolant I saw in places underneath, I'm pretty sure I've got more in the core.

Now to decide whether to try to get it repaired or just replace it.

The Captain
02-24-2014, 01:07 AM
Replace it. It's only money.

Nitro_Alltrac
02-24-2014, 01:55 AM
I think that's the route I'm going to go.

T-spoon
02-24-2014, 03:17 AM
Time to upgrade!

Nitro_Alltrac
02-26-2014, 03:04 AM
Order the Mishimoto yesterday.