PDA

View Full Version : How do you use your lights?

hobbie2k
12-22-2013, 07:57 AM
I always found it annoying when people used their fog lights when it's not foggy. Most of the time it's just a nuisance, but sometimes it's seriously blinding (usually those damned pickups and SUVs). While I haven't been able to find a specific law on the matter in Minneosta (other than it can't be blinding, but that's subjective). In Australia, though, you can be stopped and fined for using them except in situations of significantly impaired vision.

On the other hand, I always have my headlights on so people can see me more easily, even during the day, which was common in MN, but rare in Aus.

What do you guys think and how do you use your lights?

Mafix
12-22-2013, 07:22 PM
although...i'm not poor. and fog lights are useless. just build a proper headlight instead of the stupid ass sealed beam designed in the 60s

Car_Barn_Bandit
12-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Seeing that my foglights click on whenever my car is in gear as running lights, I use them a lot. They're yellow halogens properly aimed down and wide so as not to add to oncoming glare.

T-spoon
12-22-2013, 10:46 PM
What are you talking about? If fog lights are blinding, they are not functioning as fog lights, but rather as spotlights. So really what you don't like is improperly aimed fog lights, which is the same issue as improperly aimed low beams. Proper fog lights DO give you a lower, wider area of illumination, as opposed to a more focused, further reaching beam, which is handy for making your vehicle more visible to other vehicles without blinding them, as well as letting you see more of the things directly in front and beside you.

For instance, since they are wired to do so on the supra, I have my fogs and running lights on without the headlights when there is a lower-light situation but not full dark to improve the visibility of the car without flopping the big headlights out.

celica9303
12-22-2013, 10:52 PM
I have the fog lights wired so once the car is started they turn on, and once the car is turned off and I open the door they turn off.

Basicly acting as daytime running lights......

pintoBC_3sgte
12-23-2013, 12:59 AM
On my truck, fog lights only when foggy. It's illegal to run with them on in BC any other time, but everyone does it any ways. Kinda annoying.

Celica, fog lights removed :p

hobbie2k
12-23-2013, 01:35 AM
As I said before, in Aus you can be fined for using fogs when conditions don't warrant. Unless they are factory wired to behave as daytime running lamps.

As for blinding, pickups and SUVs are typically far worse than cars for this (the late 90's Ford F-series is particularly bad). It's also far more noticeable on country roads without street lamps or other ambient lighting. However, a human's natural night vision is impacted by the intensity of the total light hitting it, not the intensity of the single brightest source, so even fogs that are aimed properly, by increasing the total light, have a blinding effect on both the driver with the lights on and other oncoming drivers.

I've also noticed many people drive with their instrument panel set to it's highest intensity, which makes it easier to read the panel, but harder to see things outside the car, which is far more critical.

T-spoon
12-23-2013, 02:48 AM
Ehhhh, I still think where they're mounted and aimed is going to have a far greater impact on blinding another driver than whether you have fogs+low beams vs just low beams. I can't recall ever losing sight of the lane markings due to properly mounted and aimed fog lights, but plenty of times due to low beams at the wrong angle. Given that so much of our daily driving is in urban areas, it would be peculiar to legislate something like having your fog lights on if there's no fog. That's like legislating not having your high beams on unless "needed". Well good golly, prove they're ever really needed, and by that logic, we'd all use JUST fog lights when in dark areas, because that lower-aimed more widely diffused light would be better for other drivers - but then, it's not legal to do that, so far as I know. Obviously it could really be taken to extremes, and it seems having a blanket "Bad to use fog lights without fog" is kind of odd.

As far as the brightness of the dash, of course it depends on where you're driving. If you're in a city, there's so much light pollution ruining your night vision that being able to see the dash clearly is all that really matters. If you're in the middle of nowhere with little other lighting or traffic, then of course lowering the dash brightness will make your night vision more effective, but so would turning off your headlights. :hehe:

Also.. I'm going to use this opportunity to complain about auto-daytime lights because I'm sick of driving around and seeing people without any tail lights at all because they didn't realize they weren't on due to their dash and headlights automatically coming on for them. It might as well turn on all the lights if it's going to do some of them, or else it's stupid (IMO).

MCcelica
12-23-2013, 08:06 AM
Marker lights all day front and back (even though a cop once told me that's technically illegal). At night, low beams and fogs unless I can get away with highs. My panel lights automatically dim once the lights go on.

hobbie2k
12-23-2013, 08:23 AM
I totally agree that improperly aimed lights are a nuisance and worse than properly aimed head + fog. Also, now that I live in a city, the light pollution does make much of these complaints moot. As for bright lights, there is legislation on when not to use them, specifically when you're within 200 meters of other traffic.

I also hate it when I see people who haven't bothered to turn on their lights, but I always assumed it wasn't so much the DRLs as the permanently back-lit instrument cluster that confused people...although, if they start the car at night, the DRLs may appear bright enough to the driver that they may think the headlights are on.

The Captain
12-23-2013, 09:32 PM
I installed 100 watt 7 inch driving lights on my truck. Relay is wired to the high beams. Great when some dumbass is running their high beams in the opposite direction. In Atlanta I really need to install a pair facing rearwards. Common practice among the extra chromosome set is to run the high beams if they have a low beam out. Supposedly prevents them from getting pulled over. Personally I think we should just shoot them in the face.

MCcelica
12-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Buddy of mine had one facing rearward on his Wrangler. He mainly used it to blind the ever-living piss out of some dick-knuckle that's driving with their brights on. We did occasionally use it while we were out wheelin' and had to go backwards, though.

david in germany
12-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Headlights on all the time here, fog lights are just for that, limited visibility use only. If the road is a bit wet, fog lights will glare on coming traffic and that is just rude. I do not use fog lights in the snow either.

Galcobar
12-27-2013, 11:49 PM
Canadiana Celicas are wired so the fogs act as DRLs. Interestingly, all marker/running lights illuminate with the engine on regardless. The intermediate light switch setting only seems to affect the interior illumination.

The fogs turn off when the headlights are turned on, which I prefer.

hobbie2k
12-28-2013, 01:03 AM
Common practice among the extra chromosome set is to run the high beams if they have a low beam out. Supposedly prevents them from getting pulled over. Personally I think we should just shoot them in the face.

I got stopped once for leaving brights on. It was 2:30am and I had been driving all night. I was only about 10 mins from home, hadn't seen another car in nearly an hour and just forgot the brights were on. Of course the other car was a cop car and he proceeded to pull me over. He didn't give me a ticket or anything, just told me to be more careful. I've also been stopped for having a light out, just a warning to fix it... I'm not sure what they're so afraid of...

rizin
12-28-2013, 04:11 AM
Any older vehicle I only use headlight+foglights at night or limite visibility. I have very large animals that sit right off the road and run right before you are there. So the wider visibility helps. Nothing like a mule deer side swipping me. I would of never seen it without fogs.

In the wifes car 2012 kia I get brighted all the time with just head lights. If they thought the low beams were bright I bet they have a problem seeing the road after I really bright them.:)

Car_Barn_Bandit
12-28-2013, 04:37 AM
When the road is empty, and the location rural, I run my 9.5inch Hella Ralleyes. If you're of the law, they're "passing lamps".

3,500 feet in front, should always be illuminated if the odds of nailing an Elk are high.

hobbie2k
12-28-2013, 05:08 AM
Another light related pet-peeve, people who use their turn-signals incorrectly. This includes people who don't bother to use them at all, probably assuming there's no one to signal to. But they also probably haven't bothered to check their blind spot, either and just assume there's no one to signal.

Then, there's the people who use the signal, but don't turn it on till they're actually turning or changing lanes. Yes, I can see you're moving over, I don't need a flashing light to confirm it. It would, however, have been nice to get a warning...

crymson
01-01-2014, 12:05 AM
It's illegal where I live to run your fog lights in the face of oncoming traffic, aimed properly or not.

T-spoon
01-02-2014, 04:51 AM
It's illegal where I live to run your fog lights in the face of oncoming traffic, aimed properly or not.

Seriously? That's hard to believe, given that regular low beams should be brighter and higher. Weird, but hey, wouldn't be the first or only weird law.

Murgatroy
01-02-2014, 08:43 PM
I don't turn my lights on, I even went so far as to put a kill switch in.

That way the police can't see me.

Facime
01-03-2014, 06:32 AM

Yep, illegal in Oregon. Its rarely enforced but its on the books (Ive been pulled over for it, in the Alltrac). Fog lights are treated like high beams. In any case where high beams are unacceptable, fog lights are supposed to be turned off.

T-spoon
01-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Yep, ludicrous. If fog lights are more blinding/aimed higher than low beams, they're pointless as fog lights.

Facime
01-04-2014, 12:06 AM
well, regardless of where they are actually pointed, additional lights do affect the vision of oncoming drivers. As Ive gotten older and my vision has gone to hell, especially my night vision, fog lights are just two more lights that throw halos and affect my ability to see the road in front of me. Additionally, people rarely clean their lenses adding to the problem, and newer plastic lenses that are oftem yellowed compound the problem as well.

I agree with the law in Oregon and think that fog lights should be used only with no oncomming traffic or in the case of ACTUAL fog conditions...which if youve ever been through the Willamette Valley know can be downright deadly at times.

I live on a deadly stretch of highway and its a designated safety corridor so 90% of the time I run my headlights, day or night, no fogs.

crymson
01-04-2014, 04:09 AM
I agree with the law in Oregon and think that fog lights should be used only with no oncomming traffic or in the case of ACTUAL fog conditions...which if youve ever been through the Willamette Valley know can be downright deadly at times.

^^^This.

MCcelica
01-04-2014, 02:40 PM
I don't turn my lights on, I even went so far as to put a kill switch in.

That way the police can't see me.

I have a kill switch on my DRLs, but it's mostly so that I can actually have manual control. The DRLs on the 7th gen are tied into the photoelectric diode which automatically turns the headlights on after it gets to be "X amount of dark" out. The headlights can then, not be turned off unless the parking brake is up and the key is taken out of the ignition. So if my DRL circut is switched on, and it's dark so it turns my lights on and I see someone driving with their lights off, then I can't turn my own lights on/off to let them know.

celica9303
01-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Are we referring to the real yellow fog lights? Like my celica(jdm round foglights). Or the regular color "driving" lights (non yellow) that everyone thinks are fog lights? When actually don't cut through the dense fog due to the wrong color......

crymson
01-07-2014, 04:46 AM
I have a kill switch on my DRLs, but it's mostly so that I can actually have manual control.

Oooh, I've been thinking about doing that to my car, do you have instructions?

Mafix
01-08-2014, 02:39 AM
they are not called "marker lights", they are "parking lights". driving with only them on is "illegal". although, you'd have to be doing something else wrong to get looked at for just that.
i can't adjust my dash lights (which are fucking blinding). racepak dash.
and i HATE turn signal abusers (which includes non users)

MCcelica
01-11-2014, 10:10 AM
Oooh, I've been thinking about doing that to my car, do you have instructions?

I was not the one who actually did this modification, but at some point in the next few weeks I can go pull it apart and check on how it was done. I imagine that it's just tapped directly into the diode and essentially replaces it's switching function, since if my switch is on, the DRLs/auto on work properly.

crymson
01-11-2014, 11:14 PM
That would be awesome, I disabled mine because I hated that they stayed on.

rizin
01-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Turn signals work for a polite world. I have come to the understanding if you tell someone you are going to move into a spot they dont want you in they close it up. Most comman reaction to a blinker. Any other time signals work. So if I am doing lane changes in traffic it just happens. Like tonight/yesterday pulling my 35 ft. trailier from cali up the i15 I give a signal they wont let me pass a semi. I just pull out I get to pass. Thing is I was being polite and they dont relize I am doing 55 mph because I have no choice until they cant catch me on a hill until the next semi beacuse I move to the right like you should. I dont even give the proper brake check e-brake doesnt give a warning for tailgaters either.

david in germany
01-12-2014, 12:32 PM
I know what you mean man. I look to see if space is available, signal and move. If you signal and hesitate, many will close the gap. I had that happen to me one time when I had the mini that I remember well. Old dude in a 500 class merc closed the gap on me snd I could see him smiling like he accomplished something, he didnt realize I could still fill the slot with the mini. Most cars would not have fit the gap. .. I did though.
I am a very polite driver until you are a dick to me or other drivers. Then it is game on. By the way, in germany brake checking is illegal but there are other ways to get the same reaction.

Sent from my GT-S7710 using Tapatalk

MCcelica
01-13-2014, 11:39 AM
I know what you mean man. I look to see if space is available, signal and move. If you signal and hesitate, many will close the gap. I had that happen to me one time when I had the mini that I remember well. Old dude in a 500 class merc closed the gap on me snd I could see him smiling like he accomplished something, he didnt realize I could still fill the slot with the mini. Most cars would not have fit the gap. .. I did though.
I am a very polite driver until you are a dick to me or other drivers. Then it is game on. By the way, in germany brake checking is illegal but there are other ways to get the same reaction.

Sent from my GT-S7710 using Tapatalk

Yup. Like downshifting.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I look at signals as "your redemption". So if someone signals and moves in front of me, I'm like "Ok. You didn't REALLY have enough room to fit there, but at least you signaled". So I have a tendency to back off of those cats a bit. The ones that do that without the signal get fucked with until they move back out of my way. This is further accented if they go out of their way to get into mine, and then don't go anywhere. Rage city right there.

T-spoon
01-13-2014, 04:36 PM
I always signal, but I don't always give them enough time to react detrimentally to the signal. If my blinker goes on to change lanes, I already checked, made the decision, and know what's about to happen so normally it doesn't matter what they do in response to it (if anything). I don't signal to ask for special treatment, I signal so that people know what I'm about to do. This is called being decisive, which around here is called "aggressive". So be it. If the signal is on for making a turn, that happens a bit more in advance, of course, because that allows people behind me to plan and oncoming traffic that may have been able to turn if they know, etc.

Anyway yes, turn signal usage is a must and easy to do. While yes, turds will speed up to try to block you if you use your signals, it's also pretty easy to anticipate and counter that. Of course, they might then speed way up in order to tailgate you and act as if you cut them off, but people will be people.

rizin
01-14-2014, 04:18 AM
Mc better watch out for a white dodge that is straight piped. I will be aiming to cut off all 7th gens when I start working down there monday. Not really but I will be working down there and driving with all the idiots.

crymson
01-14-2014, 04:38 AM
I don't signal to ask for special treatment, I signal so that people know what I'm about to do. This is called being decisive, which around here is called "aggressive".

I'll be honest, there were a few times coming back from Ogopogo that I though you were going to be the accident blocking I-5 southbound...

T-spoon
01-14-2014, 06:22 AM
I'll be honest, there were a few times coming back from Ogopogo that I though you were going to be the accident blocking I-5 southbound...

Pff. Nothing even remotely close to it.

crymson
01-14-2014, 11:12 AM
lol.

VavAlephVav
09-30-2014, 04:01 PM
At 65 mph your car is traveling aprox 95.3 Ft/sec. The light from your headlights is traveling 94x10^6 Ft/sec. When you come up over a hill that other guy will see your headlights and decide not to turn left in front of you. Even during the day, but especially on a dim cloudy day.