PDA

View Full Version : System 10 Rear Mids Replacement

waycool
12-21-2013, 12:25 AM
Took bottom screw out of interior plastic, removed speaker grill and 4 screws. What else do I need to do to get interior plastic out. Unscrewed speaker off plastic support but I think I am going to have to take the plastic support out also. My Polk speaker mounting holes are not lining up with the factory holes. Might be able to get three screws into plastic housing if I can get interior piece out. The bottom interior piece is separate from the top piece, correct. How do they separate.

METDeath
12-21-2013, 02:48 AM
Did you remove the seats and the trunk plastic?

waycool
12-21-2013, 01:26 PM
No, just the seat portion of the back seat. Do I need to remove all the trunk plastic? If so, that is a shitty design to get to speakers that might need to be replaced someday.

Galcobar
12-21-2013, 08:58 PM
The rear speakers aren't just sitting in a cavity on a plastic support -- they're in a ported enclosure.

To remove the panel covering the speaker assembly, you have to remove the rear seats (top and bottom) and at the least ensure the trunk side panels are loosened (nothing attached at the top of the struts). You also have to remove the door sill plates, as the rear side panels must slide forward as you remove them.

Having to remove interior panels once every 20 years isn't really a design flaw.

Shadowlife25
12-22-2013, 09:20 PM
The rear speakers aren't just sitting in a cavity on a plastic support -- they're in a ported enclosure.

To remove the panel covering the speaker assembly, you have to remove the rear seats (top and bottom) and at the least ensure the trunk side panels are loosened (nothing attached at the top of the struts). You also have to remove the door sill plates, as the rear side panels must slide forward as you remove them.

Having to remove interior panels once every 20 years isn't really a design flaw.

This.

Also, I am betting dollars to donuts that you had to try at least a decent bit to get at all the visible screws after removing the grill plate.
The ported enclosures that those 6.5" drivers come in are rather hefty. As in they take up the majority of the space behind the interior plastics back there.
Just take your time and remove the pieces that were mentioned in logical order and you won't have any problems.

david in germany
12-25-2013, 11:56 AM
May I ask why you are trying to get them out? From my experience, you will be hard pressed to get something back there that sounds as good as the stock 6.5's do with up to about 50w rms (unless yours are blown) Focus on your front stage for the best imaging and leave the stockers in the rear as they are.
Personally I have tried 2way speakers back there, dedicated mids, and even installed subs there but after 10 or so years I went back to the stock 6.5's for the best SQ. By the way, most 6.5's will not fit unless your modify the enclosure, there is a stud like protrusion in the inside that will keep most speakers from sitting flush, cut it out with a dremel, and the mounting face has little v shapped thing on the front that will need to be removed as well.

Shadowlife25
12-26-2013, 02:38 AM
I forgot about the protrusion since it has been so long since I replaced mine. Good call. :)