PDA

View Full Version : first celica 92 gt

PaRkInG_lOt_MeChAnIc
12-04-2013, 08:06 AM
hey everybody, just picked up my first celica. a 92 gt 5sfe auto. my first toyota was an 80's tercel hatch. then i went for a 95 corolla. finally putting me in my current daily driver the 92 gt. i bought it off kijiji for $800 and am already in love with this machine. such character for a little car. if you guys are interested i'll document making it a road worthy daily driver. it came sitting on 17 inch alloys with low profile dunlop winter tires, aftermarket cat back big ass exhaust and a short ram intake. aside from that its pretty freakin stock with im happy with. i'll probably start work with replacing the driver side rear wheel bearing and then rear brakes. then run through refreshing all the fluids and all the little electrical suprises i was left(switches not working, replacing blown speakers and installing an auto start/alarm). im very exited to get started on this car because even in its current state its made quite the impression. i'll post some picks tomorrow. if anyone has a service manual and can share the torque spec's for the rear suspension that would be awsome as im gonna be tackling the wheel bearing thursday or friday. i have 10 days to pass safety.

grimmythereaper
12-04-2013, 09:54 AM
welcome, and we always love pics or docs. of some kind

TBayToyotaBoy
12-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Welcome aboard, sounds like you've been bitten by the same bug we all have. For the service manual, look here: http://bgbonline.celicatech.com/

Are you in Ontario? I could've sworn I saw a Celica similar to yours on Kijiji recently...I'm always looking to see what folks are selling :)

PaRkInG_lOt_MeChAnIc
12-07-2013, 07:29 PM
yup bought the car off kijiji from a guy in markam. now that ive had the car for a week my to do list has grown. definitly a fun little car. i think ill be keepin this one as long as i can keep holding back the rot. it'll be an uphill battle but its not that bad right now so as long as i keep spraying it and replace a few key things it should be good.

TBayToyotaBoy
12-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Definitely don't skimp on the rust-proofing. Even WITH undercoating and oil spray inside the doors/pillars/etc my 1990 GT is starting to show signs of rot. The welds that run down the rockers right under the doors (just behind the doors) are the worst. It kills me to see the cancer starting, I built this car from the ground up and I'm watching it all go to hell...

Exel
12-15-2013, 12:39 AM
Welcome! :)

PaRkInG_lOt_MeChAnIc
12-18-2013, 10:07 PM
so i replaced the wheel bearing but i had limited time at a buddies shop so i couldnt take any pics to document it. i grabbed a new set of rotors and and ebc yellow stuff pads and plan to install tis week hopefully i have a little more time and i can take some pics this time around the only thing is i think i got the wrong pads for the rear because the ones on the car have a flat surface for the piston thand the ebc's have a bump in the middle at the bottom like. like there supposed to go with an ebrake setup that uses the racheting piston instead of the drum e-brake. if they fit in the bracket i can always just grind down the bump but dont want to. anyone use them before. the model number on the box is dp4629r