PDA

View Full Version : Boost problems//Need Help!!

ggfc2
12-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Hi

I haven't really posted on here alot but I just can't seem to figure my problem out! I need your help guys :loco:

A month ago, I was driving on the freeway when all of a sudden the car lost ignition. I came off the freeway luckily at the doorsteps of a shop, there they swapped out the Ignitor and the car was able to start up again.

While driving back home, I noticed that the car couldn't boost past 0psi. The gauge would show that it boosts from vacuum to 0psi and no further. I bring it back to the shop, and they say the turbo is toast.

I buy another working turbo ( upgrade time :afro: ct20) and a downpipe to put into the car. Once these things were in, there was no difference in the problem. The car would only boost to 0psi from vacuum.

The car isn't throwing any CEL, but It never has.. even with the car running on three cylinders previously. I'm not running a manual boost controller or a boost gauge, although I have recently purchased some.

What could be the issue that prevents the turbo boosting more?

Thanks for all your help!

4thgenceli
12-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Sounds like a big boost leak. All your connections tight & break free?

ggfc2
12-02-2013, 10:27 PM
I haven't done the leak test yet, but the connections looked fine so far. I'll take a closer look at all the hoses/connectors tonight.

4thgenceli
12-03-2013, 12:17 AM
Just ask becuase with Jasmine that's what happened. It would to from a vacuum to 0. Turned out I had a coupler blow off.

ggfc2
12-03-2013, 06:42 AM
I just checked the inlet and outlet of the intercooler and it looks pretty good. No cracks or anything out of the ordinary.

T-spoon
12-03-2013, 07:04 AM
What does it do when trying to accelerate? Do RPMs climb as normal? What makes you think the car is not boosting, aside from the dummy needle (stock boost gauge)? Is the car stock - aside from the turbo or do you have other things like a blow-off valve?

ggfc2
12-03-2013, 07:08 AM
The RPMs climb very normally until 3,0000 rpm, then the car starts to feel sluggish. Coincidentally, its the same time when the stock gauge moves to 0. The car is completely stock, with the top mount inter cooler, no blow off valves or those things. I forgot to mention this in the first post but, its a ST185.

soarinhigh
12-03-2013, 08:20 AM
A friend was just having similar problems and ended up having a faulty tvsv. Check your lines I and from the wastegate and tvsv.

ggfc2
12-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Sounds good, I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion

BlueDragon
12-03-2013, 03:26 PM
I think it sounds like something came off your intake manifold somewhere, and it must be big to keep it from making any positive pressure at all. I had a huge hole in an intercooler pipe and still got 4 psi lol

BlueDragon
12-03-2013, 03:59 PM
maybe your wastegate came unhooked and the door is hanging open? does the turbo still make noise?

andy
12-03-2013, 05:39 PM
50 bucks the rubber coupler that bolts onto the throttle body has a tear on the bottom of it. you cant see it unless you remove the IC and unbolt it. Ask vip09 about this one. build a boost leak tester and check it. Even with the waste gate open all the time you can boost a few psi in the upper RPM.

ggfc2
12-04-2013, 05:38 AM
Ok thanks everyone for the suggestions! I checked all of the couplers and looked at the intercooler intensely and couldnt find anything that was torn.

The stock midpipe was unhooked and let my car run straight through downpipe. Boy was it loud...It boosted so fast I shat my pants.
After peering into the secondary cat, and punching the cat..
http://i.imgur.com/exP04eC.jpg
I found this.

The car boosts great now, the secondary cat was the culprit.

soarinhigh
12-04-2013, 05:43 AM
50 bucks the rubber coupler that bolts onto the throttle body has a tear on the bottom of it. you cant see it unless you remove the IC and unbolt it. Ask vip09 about this one. build a boost leak tester and check it. Even with the waste gate open all the time you can boost a few psi in the upper RPM.

Pay up.

T-spoon
12-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Ah, yes, that'll do it. If you'd kept going and the clog go worse, you'd find it would rev less and less, and finally be barely able to accelerate at all. If you're curious, ST185s can pass emissions without the secondary cat.. BUT.. if the secondary looks like that, I wouldn't be surprised if your primary is in bad shape - that is, if you have one. You said the car was completely stock, but then said "Let it run straight through downpipe", so I dunno :)

ggfc2
12-05-2013, 05:58 AM
I had one, I barely passed emissions the last time. :P Maybe ill have to buy a new primary cat for smogging purposes.

T-spoon
12-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Actually I was recalling incorrectly, it was just the secondary that my 185 passed with, had an Aussie downpipe on that'n. In any event.. you are in Car-Nazi land, so who knows :hehe:

Shadowlife25
12-06-2013, 04:58 AM
Nazifornia requires both primary and secondary catalytic converters. Regardless of emissions, if you don't have both, it will fail the visual inspection.