PDA

View Full Version : 5th Gen Dash Area Chatter - Worse When Cold & Higher Speed

93celicaconv
11-24-2013, 02:48 PM
1991 Celica ST automatic. With cold weather settling in, there is a low-level chatter noise from behind the instrument panel area that seems worse when the vehicle is cold (goes away when warmed up) and changes pitch with road speed, and is more noticeable at highway speed. First yeare it has done that (we've had the vehicle 15 years now).

I'm familiar with the instrument cluster having a very harsh sound under these conditions in very cold weather, which I addressed on all my 5th Gens by putting some white lithium grease where the instrument cluster mates up with the speedometer cable input. This sound is very different, much quieter, like someone running their thumb over the edge of a deck of cards.

Could this be a speedometer lubrication issues in the upper or lower cable? Speedometer works well, reads ground speed smoothly.

Anyone having experience and/or advice with this, would really appreciate it.

grimmythereaper
11-24-2013, 05:12 PM
my old ST had a simler sound and turns out it was the dash reinforcement that had come loose over the years so i tighten that up and it was gone

93celicaconv
11-24-2013, 09:52 PM
my old ST had a simler sound and turns out it was the dash reinforcement that had come loose over the years so i tighten that up and it was gone

Thanks for this input, Grimmy. Which particular dash reinforcement was loose?

grimmythereaper
11-26-2013, 05:24 AM
the main reinforcement behind the dash, the big one that goes from either side of the car, mine was loose around the driverside door area.

Galcobar
11-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Might be the source of my particular irritation as well -- I'm trying to picture where the bolts would be and failing.

93celicaconv
11-27-2013, 02:54 PM
the main reinforcement behind the dash, the big one that goes from either side of the car, mine was loose around the driverside door area.

If I remember right, this reinforcement cross-beam is up high behind the dash panel. How did you access the bolts on the driver side? Did you have to remove the instrument cluster to access? I don't think you can reach it from underneath, can you?

grimmythereaper
11-27-2013, 08:08 PM
I removed the entire dash, i dont think u can get to the bolts with dash in the car

93celicaconv
11-28-2013, 03:02 PM
I removed the entire dash, i dont think u can get to the bolts with dash in the car

That is exactly what I was thinking; thank-you for confirming. I would probably cause more damage by removing the entire dash that benefit of resolve the chatter problem that may be caused by a loose reinforcement.