PDA

View Full Version : Back in a Toyoter...

Grot
11-09-2013, 06:15 AM
Get a text from my dad today, tells me to come over after work, that he has something for me.

I get over there, he hands me a gift bag and says Merry Christmas.
Pull out a set of keys.

Hwe says, got you a nice Auto 4 door family car since yours is a piece. we go out to the shed, he opens the doors and there sits this.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j172/mutatis13/Poopra_zps75b05ee9.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/mutatis13/media/Poopra_zps75b05ee9.jpg.html)

Its an 89 and rusty, honestly needs a new shell.
Had it about two hours, dont know anythign about it.
except it doesnt make power about like 5k and needs an alignment bad. Interior is Mint tho, sadly it is maroon...
But the car is a stick and targa.

This is what i have been DDing.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j172/mutatis13/Audiwheels_zps8bf5c5df.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/mutatis13/media/Audiwheels_zps8bf5c5df.jpg.html)

Bad shot, but its a 98 Audi a4 Quattro.
Fun little car. Enjoying the AWD, and a 5 speed to boot.

T-spoon
11-09-2013, 07:51 AM
Mint burgundy interior you say? Well, no point having a nice interior in a rusted out shell. Send me the dash panel, since it might as well be in a nice supra :hehe:

Grot
11-09-2013, 07:54 AM
Ha, im already hunting for a shell or bad motor car.

Should the supra prove reliable, i will sell the audi and buy a project of some sort.
And i honestly dont know if the dash is nice, ive driven it like 8 minutes.
The arm rest is a little cracked and the door panels are minorly cracked on top.

T-spoon
11-09-2013, 08:12 AM
Well that doesn't sound mint :P Good luck with it, but I'm not so sure you'll enjoy owning a MKIII. They're kind of bitches :)

Facime
11-10-2013, 08:45 PM
N/A?
If you dont treat them as race cars (which they most certainly are NOT) an N/A mk3 can be VERY reliable and real pleasure to drive.

Turbo shells seem to be pretty common (gee, I wonder why? ;) at least around here. But personally for a free car I would just clean it up the best you can, do some maintenance and drive the shit out of it as it is.

Nitro_Alltrac
11-11-2013, 12:01 AM
Nice gift Aaron. Do what you can with it and enjoy the hell out of it.

Grot
11-11-2013, 06:10 AM
honestly, i will try to fix the cancer on the surface and drive her.
Thats it.

I have the Audi to be the race car, the supra is slow. and a great highway car, so i will leave it as that.

I have seen one shell, and it was 700 and needed paint.

So far, the motor is loosening up some. driving better the more miles i put on her.

All it really needs is a window switch fixed, the passenger will go down, but not up. from both switches.

Siyx
11-11-2013, 02:31 PM
7M-GTE or 7M-GE (or are you lucky and it has a 1J or 2J swap)?

I had the 7M-GTE version and it was a great car right up until I parked it in a farmers field, rotted out a year later. Just sold the engine not too long ago.
Gas pig with the turbo, was amazed to get over 400km to a tank running premium but damn she was fun to drive.

Grot
11-12-2013, 05:53 AM
Its a GE and is getting AWFUL mileage. i need to figure out whats up with it. No CEL is going to make it harder.

Siyx
11-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Yeah on a full tank of gas only expect to go about 400km (whatever that is in miles maybe around 240 miles??)
if you are getting less than that then I would definitely bet you got issues somewhere LOL wouldn't even know where to start as I'm not a mechanic, just a driver.
Now the N/A version may be different than the Turbo version for mileage .... but I doubt it's very much.

Grot
11-13-2013, 08:33 AM
i would expect slightly better mileage out of the NA.

But i have gotten less than 100 miles to half a tank.

Facime
11-13-2013, 09:02 AM
I easily got 23+mpg from my N/A

Grot
11-14-2013, 06:38 AM
i wonder what is wrong with mine... No cel. and i know the bulb is in it and working

Lonestag
11-14-2013, 03:33 PM
I've never been into the MK3's, no reason, just never got into them. Curious to see how it treats you.

Either way, glad to see you back in a Toyota, and what a sweet gift!

4thgenceli
11-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Nice!

Family gifts like that are awesome. I recently (as in a few months ago) inherited a 2003 Ram from my father in-law. He 'needed' 4wd so he went and bought a 2006 F350 diesel (which needed a completely new engine 3 weeks after purchase...lol).

Anyway, enjoy!!

Grot
11-14-2013, 09:31 PM
I've never been into the MK3's, no reason, just never got into them. Curious to see how it treats you.

Either way, glad to see you back in a Toyota, and what a sweet gift!

The MKlll are my second favorite, behind the MKll CS

I love it tho

Nice!

Family gifts like that are awesome. I recently (as in a few months ago) inherited a 2003 Ram from my father in-law. He 'needed' 4wd so he went and bought a 2006 F350 diesel (which needed a completely new engine 3 weeks after purchase...lol).

Anyway, enjoy!!

Yea i forgot how just nice toyotas are, i havent driven the audi at all since i got the supra. it just feels so... right.

T-spoon
11-14-2013, 11:09 PM
I actually do love mine.. she just makes me irritated sometimes, and I don't feel like dropping the transmission again to get the faulty pressure plate out. BUT... that's also after major modifications. Left stock and well maintained they're really not so bad, and are actually nice and sporty driving cars, especially for how heavy they are.