PDA

View Full Version : Speaker recommendations

4thgenceli
11-08-2013, 02:59 AM
Looking for some recommendations to replace the stock speakers in RamBro. Looks like I'm 6x9 in the front, 5.25 in the rear.

4-speaker system: You'll find two full-range 6"x9" speakers in the doors, along with 5-1/4" in the rear side panels. You're limited by the .84" mounting height available under the factory grille, so only a few 6"x9"s will fit there without modifying the grille. You can also put 5-1/4" or 6-1/2" speakers in the front doors with the help of adapter brackets, and that really opens up your choices. You'll find wiring harnesses (and mounting brackets, if needed) for every location, and Crutchfield includes the brackets and harnesses free with every speaker order.

The rear factory speakers are similar to aftermarket 5-1/4"s, and you can install almost any 5-1/4"s back there if you are willing to drill new screw holes. You also have the option of installing 3-1/2" speakers in the dash locations, but you'll have to run speaker wire to those dash openings.

I have this little powerplant of a sub & amp I picked up from WOT (holy crap this thing beats, it's awesome). Looking for something to help fill out the rest of the system.

Suggestions?

The Captain
11-08-2013, 06:03 AM
I've had good luck with MB Quart.

grimmythereaper
11-08-2013, 06:45 AM
infinity 6x9s sound freaking sweet, kenwood also makes great "circle" speakers, not so much on the their "oval" shaped stuff

Shadowlife25
11-09-2013, 05:14 PM
infinity 6x9s sound freaking sweet, kenwood also makes great "circle" speakers, not so much on the their "oval" shaped stuff

That might be the most technical description of drivers I have ever read. rofl

Tim, before you go upgrading your drivers, I would recommend deadening and an aftermarket amplifier first.
You might be pleasantly surprised with how good things sound with a little more power and a well deadened cabin.

4thgenceli
11-09-2013, 06:21 PM
I have a 4channel amp (fosgate 200a4) that I may just throw in there. The rear stock speakers are blown out already Mario. We've already sound deadened most of the cab.

grimmythereaper
11-09-2013, 07:39 PM
That might be the most technical description of drivers I have ever read. rofl

lol, i say that bc i have never heard a good kenwood speaker in an ovel shape, all of their circle speakers however always sound good to me, no matter the model number. i just figured it would be easier to say it the way i did, lmao

Shadowlife25
11-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Well, let me drop some knowledge for a second here. :)

The shape of the driver really doesn't make a difference with basic speaker designs. Hell, Kicker makes a square driver, doesn't mean it puts out square waves. Get what I'm saying?
They all work and are all proven. Things only change once you start messing about with things like waveguides and such, which 90% of people never do.

The important things for most "Stock n' Swap" operations are to find a driver that has good sensitivity, especially when utilizing the HU or factory amplifier for power.
A higher or equal sensitivity means that the driver is more efficient. This gives you something that can get just as loud or louder than what you have with the same or less power.
Still following?

Next comes the issue of impedance. Most people will tell you that you "must" only use a 4 ohm driver for automotive applications. This is not true.
Let me explain. Say you choose an 8ohm driver for your application that has a nice high sensitivity and the rest of the parameters match up with your goals.
That driver will present less of a load to the amplifier, which in turn will run cooler. So good all around. Also allows you to bridge drivers if you so choose and still present the amplifier with a 4 ohm load if you choose to go that route as well.

As for 6x9 drivers, I will leave that to you. I will say though that you don't need anything more than a 2 way driver. Meaning the main driver with an attached tweeter.
They have tons (usually low end) that are 3/4/5 way and honestly, most of them are junk.
Get a set of good quality drivers and you will be happy.

Same as above for the 5.25" drivers. Get a nice set and call it good. If you want to go with a coaxial (2 way) there are plenty of decent drivers to choose from.
If you want to go with a component 2 way set (separate main driver and tweeter) that is also a great choice and allows you the freedom of mounting the tweeter in the place where it sounds best as well as utilizing a crossover network that is made for that set of speakers. This further ensures that everything is getting the correct balance of frequencies and that the drivers will blend together well.

As for sound dampening/absorption, I really think you should look into the newer methods that are available and widely used now. Having a well damped cabin area makes a massive difference in the performance of your drivers as well as cutting down on road noise and rattles/vibrations.
If you have a louder vehicle or are planning a competition level system, then you would go with something like Dynamat at 25%-40% coverage and then use a closed cell foam over top of that at 100% coverage followed by some 1lb per sq/ft MLV (Mass loaded Vinyl).

For your truck, you could likely do the Dynamat (or better product like RAAMat BXTII ) and then some closed cell foam (Also from RAAMat called Ensolite ) and just call it a day and enjoy your now much quieter cabin with more sound from your speakers.

Hopefully this clears up some of the basic stuff and helps you make a more informed decision. :) Just figured I would paint you a clearer picture that will allow you to do it once and enjoy the benefits for many years to come.

- Mario