PDA

View Full Version : Bodywork gurus...how hard to fix?

4thgenceli
11-01-2013, 04:46 AM
Someone didn't look before backing out of the driveway today and bumped RamBro. Didn't break anything, just dented. No cracked paint or anything.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/celiman89/20131031_204139_zpsde74ed65.jpg

How bad would that be to fix myself? Obviously it's around the taillight. I'm thinking, remove the taillight and I should be able to 'pop' the panel back into shape?

MCcelica
11-01-2013, 08:22 AM
Judging from the fact that you have worn duct tape on there anyway, it wasn't in that good of shape to begin with.

Remove the tail light and find out why it won't hold itself on, then realize that you can't get to that portion of the panel from there, and take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

4thgenceli
11-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Guess it's time to sell it to a wrecker then.

4thgenceli
11-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Sorry, little cranky before I have coffee.

The reason the duct tape is on the tail lights is due to the fact that they're not the OEM lights. Years back when her dad still had it someone stole the taillights off the truck. We put a new set of OEM lights on, and someone stole them also. So he bought some cheap LED lights from eGay. They didn't quite fit and didn't come with the necessary clips to hold it in so they were loose & rattled around. The duct tape held them in place.

Murgatroy
11-01-2013, 07:23 PM
It won't be a simple pull and pop. It is too close to a corner/body seam, you will never get rid of it without hammer and dolly, putty and paint.

If homeboy has been fine riding around with duct tape on his lights for the last handful of years (as evidenced by how worn the tape is) I wouldn't let a little dent keep me up at night.

IMO a small dent is less noticeable than a duct tape light frame.

Facime
11-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Also, attempting to straighten it may leave it looking worse or more noticable. Ive made that mistake before, and as Murg said, you wont end up getting it right without hammer and dolly and putty and paint.

Having said that, there ARE paintless repair experts that might be able to loook at it and give you an estimate.

Since its a truck, I would just live with it. Trucks are meant to have battle scars.

MCcelica
11-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Since its a truck, I would just live with it. Trucks are meant to have battle scars.

Yeah, seriously. The only pretty truck is one that hasn't been used yet.

Carolina91GT-S
11-01-2013, 11:11 PM
More duct tape?

The OEM duct tape needs to be replaced anyway

Lonestag
11-02-2013, 01:03 AM
Seriously, look into a PDR (Paintless dent repair) guy, worked miracles on a couple nasty dings on my outback.

Also, if you are just trying to get it to look decent from twenty feet, a little putty and primer and some cheap Duplicolor in a spray can will probably work for you. That said, I just mentioned like $40 worth of materials, so it's not cheap as free.

Car_Barn_Bandit
11-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Use more duct tape. It covers dents too.