PDA

View Full Version : bad tranny?

grimmythereaper
10-29-2013, 06:50 PM
ok so i got my shifter cables hooked up this morning and the tranny wont go into 5th gear, when i switch the cables around the tranny wont go into 1st gear. is the tranny bad or are the shift cables tanged up some how? when i shift the tranny by hand in the engine bay the shift linkage seems blocked by something, but b4 i pulled everything out of the parts car the tranny shifted into all gears just fine.

grimmythereaper
10-31-2013, 02:51 PM
anyone?

4thgenceli
10-31-2013, 05:47 PM
I would guess since you swapped the cables around and it reversed the problem, the issue is with that cable.

Car_Barn_Bandit
10-31-2013, 08:03 PM
I vote user error!

Lonestag
10-31-2013, 11:01 PM
I think cables as well, though I'm not sure what would be causing those particular symptoms.

Shadowlife25
11-01-2013, 02:25 AM
It's the cables. One of them is bound up somewhere. Try to get a can of white lithium grease spray with a little tube (the shitty red plastic kind they usually include) and try to get some in the cable jacket to help things smooth out for a nice long time.

Mainly though, as I said above, they are likely bound up somewhere. It's a simple fix, just retrace your steps and find it.

grimmythereaper
11-02-2013, 12:02 AM
ok, so b4 i pulled the cables back out of the car i tried shifting the car while the shift cables were disconected from the tranny, the part of the shift linkage that goes left to right (torward the fenders) moved just fine, the part of the linkage that moves front to back woundnt go in to gear, im assumming 5th and reverse, but went into the other gears just fine. could something be blocking it from those gears? could the clutch not be lined up properly and that missalinementbe causing a blockage on those gears since i pulled the motor and tranny out as a whole unit? i did get the cables out and one of them was tangled up, ill be getting a can of white lithium grease spray like shadowlife said tomorrow to a least fix that cable.

Facime
11-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Have you tried putting the car in gear then rocking it to roll the trans a little and seeing if that frees up the shift?

The clutch wont have anything to do with your issue. Its likely a shift fork internally thats the issue.

grimmythereaper
11-04-2013, 05:12 AM
Have you tried putting the car in gear then rocking it to roll the trans a little and seeing if that frees up the shift?

i have note, truth be told i didnt like about that. ill give it a try tomorrow