PDA

View Full Version : clutch pedal and brake pedal springs

grimmythereaper
10-25-2013, 09:14 PM
does any know how the springs for the brake and clutch pedals are suppose to go? im in the middle of my swap and cant figure out how the springs go :unsure:

Nitro_Alltrac
10-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Grimmy, you mean the return springs on the pedals themselves?

grimmythereaper
10-27-2013, 06:32 AM
Yeah, the black springs that pull the pedels back up from the floor

Nitro_Alltrac
10-27-2013, 03:39 PM
I'll try to get out today and take a look at mine. The set up should be the same. Doubt I'll be able to get a decent photo though but I'll see what I can do.

grimmythereaper
10-27-2013, 05:03 PM
I'll try to get out today and take a look at mine. The set up should be the same. Doubt I'll be able to get a decent photo though but I'll see what I can do.

thanks nitro, any help is appreciated

Nitro_Alltrac
10-27-2013, 08:45 PM
OK, just took a look. The brake pedal does appear to have any springs which would make sense. The return pressure on the pedal is generated by the master cylinder. As long as the brake system is pressurized, the pedal will return when pressed.

On the clutch pedal, there are two springs that appear to be built into the assembly. They sit toward the pivot point for the pedal toward the front of the car. They look like pretty heavy coils and really look like they are built into the pedal assembly. I didn't see or feel any separate springs. Are you seeing these two on your pedal assembly?

grimmythereaper
10-27-2013, 09:14 PM
I didn't see or feel any separate springs. Are you seeing these two on your pedal assembly? i know the springs that you are talking about that are built in to the pedal, that look yellow in color. the ones im having problems with are black with hooked ends on both sides of the spring. and they look like they hook into something on both ends of the spring, ill take a pic here soon and post it. the day after i took out my dash to paint the reinforcement bar i found the springs on the floor board. maybe they where put somewhere behind there by the PO and the dont belong in the car.

Nitro_Alltrac
10-27-2013, 10:59 PM
If you can get a pic, post it. I'll take another look but I didn't see or feel anything else up in there. The clutch pedals should be the same on all the manual 5th gens, so we should be able to figure this out.

grimmythereaper
10-27-2013, 11:42 PM
http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/1549/92c5.jpg

pic of the spring im talking about

Nitro_Alltrac
10-28-2013, 03:37 AM
OK. I'll double check mine again tomorrow. It will be tomorrow evening before I can do it. I don't think there is a spring like that on it though. I felt up around the pedals and didn't feel anything else.

So this wasn't actually attached, it fell out of somewhere when you took the dash apart?

grimmythereaper
10-28-2013, 04:26 AM
So this wasn't actually attached, it fell out of somewhere when you took the dash apart?

thats what im thinking, when i went to put the reinforcement back in they were in the floor board

grimmythereaper
10-28-2013, 04:32 AM
it didnt accour to me untill now that the springs may attach to the dash reinforcement and then to the pedal, ill have to look at that tomorrow,bc when i saw the springs i didnt put the reinforcement back in, i went stright to trying to figure out where the springs went,

celica9303
10-28-2013, 05:25 AM
I'll take a peak on my vert tomorrow and see if I can locate that spring.

underscore
10-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Looks at the parts diagrams that's for the brake pedal return.

rizin
10-29-2013, 01:09 AM
Ya it is the brake pedal return spring. It attaches to the support bar one inch to the right of the steering colum bolt. This is when laying on your back looking up. You have to have you head pussing the gas pedal all the way in to see the tab.