PDA

View Full Version : ABS light 93 alltrac

crymson
10-25-2013, 01:43 AM
I cannot get the light to go off for the life of me, and I will fail emissions (again) until it turns on when the car starts, and then turns off. (so no pulling the bulb)

A little history:
It shows the ABS light at startup, when I checked the error code it was for a rear passenger or front driver side wheel speed sensor. The rear sensor's line had been severed. They're out of production. I soldered it back together, tested it and put it back in. It's within resistance spec. But I can't get the light to turn off, even for a few seconds.

Is my expectation that the light should turn off when I clear the code and then turn back on if there is a problem unfounded?

Other suggestions?

Shadowlife25
10-25-2013, 02:43 AM
In case you were unsure, any 5th gen with ABS will have the same sensors, so that provides you with a great amount of salvage opportunities.

If you clear out all the codes, it *should go back to normal operation after the issue is fixed.

crymson
10-25-2013, 10:32 AM
In case you were unsure, any 5th gen with ABS will have the same sensors, so that provides you with a great amount of salvage opportunities.

Cool, Looking at PN's I thought the st185's were different in the rear. I guess I can't put off going to pick'n'pull any longer :)

underscore
10-25-2013, 03:36 PM
You fail emissions because of your brakes? What joker dreamed that up?

lamont
10-25-2013, 05:54 PM
I cannot get the light to go off for the life of me, and I will fail emissions (again) until it turns on when the car starts, and then turns off. (so no pulling the bulb)

A little history:
It shows the ABS light at startup, when I checked the error code it was for a rear passenger or front driver side wheel speed sensor. The rear sensor's line had been severed. They're out of production. I soldered it back together, tested it and put it back in. It's within resistance spec. But I can't get the light to turn off, even for a few seconds.

Is my expectation that the light should turn off when I clear the code and then turn back on if there is a problem unfounded?

Other suggestions?

You have to clear the code using the ABS reset tool a little surprised Shadowlife25 didn't recommend it. Here is the link to his write-up for constructing the tool: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?39629-Shadow-s-How-To-Series-Airbag-Light-Reset-Tool
:slap:

crymson
10-25-2013, 09:34 PM
You fail emissions because of your brakes? What joker dreamed that up?

All lights on the dash must turn on when the car is started, and then turn off or it is a failure. Failure to light up or to turn off is also a failure.
In the grand tradition of bureaucracy Emissions Testing has expanded to new heights of annoying the crap out of people.

You have to clear the code using the ABS reset tool a little surprised Shadowlife25 didn't recommend it. Here is the link to his write-up for constructing the tool: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?39629-Shadow-s-How-To-Series-Airbag-Light-Reset-Tool

ABS, not airbag :)

Shadowlife25
10-26-2013, 01:27 AM

Thing is that tool is for the Airbag. Good thought though. :)

All lights on the dash must turn on when the car is started, and then turn off or it is a failure. Failure to light up or to turn off is also a failure.
In the grand tradition of bureaucracy Emissions Testing has expanded to new heights of annoying the crap out of people.

Yeah, emissions testing has gotten rather silly. Especially since the majority of the things they fail you for are not actually emissions related. Gotta love it. (facepalm)
No check engine light illuminated after start up check, no other warning lights illuminated after start up check, no lamps out on the car, brakes must be within specification...

It isn't simple like it used to be, that is certain.

underscore
10-26-2013, 04:54 AM
It would be easier to build a circuit that will briefly light up your ABS light at startup then it would be to fix your ABS.

Actually hold that thought, just break the connection to the stock wiring in the circuit on the back of the cluster, and then jump a wire to the wiring for another bulb that only comes on at startup. Boom done.

lamont
10-26-2013, 07:44 AM
Thing is that tool is for the Airbag. Good thought though. :)

I have used it in the past to clear error codes after repairs were made.

Shadowlife25
10-26-2013, 10:42 AM
I have used it in the past to clear error codes after repairs were made.

Not to derail so please excuse me, but I am genuinely curious as to how this could have happened since E1 and TE1 are never bridged in this circuit.
I am not at all doubting you here so please don't take offense. :) Just genuine curiosity.

crymson
10-26-2013, 01:16 PM
It would be easier to build a circuit that will briefly light up your ABS light at startup then it would be to fix your ABS.

Actually hold that thought, just break the connection to the stock wiring in the circuit on the back of the cluster, and then jump a wire to the wiring for another bulb that only comes on at startup. Boom done.

This has crossed my mind. But then there's the OCD "fix it right" part of me. If I decide to do a delete then yeah, something like that for sure.

Shadowlife25
10-26-2013, 04:40 PM
This has crossed my mind. But then there's the OCD "fix it right" part of me. If I decide to do a delete then yeah, something like that for sure.

Those bulbs are not connected via a simple wire. They are powered via traces on the PCB. Just something to keep in mind before modifying something, perhaps irreparably.

underscore
10-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Well you could either bridge the wires before they get to the flexible PCB, or do it on the flexible PCB. Those traces are no different than wire.

Shadowlife25
10-27-2013, 04:20 AM
There is no flexible pcb back there. The back of the instrument cluster IS the pcb. I suppose you could figure out which wire it is from the harness and splice it before it plugs in...

underscore
10-27-2013, 06:26 AM
I could've sworn the 5g had a flex, I must be thinking of our Prelude then. Either way, it's just wire.

crymson
10-27-2013, 07:10 AM
No flex on the 5g. I've spent waaaay too much time with one of those in my hands trying to figure out why stuff wasn't working to directly wire to it. I'm thing a better idea would be to bend up the loop on the ABS bulb and directly bridge that to the the loop on another light, running them in series. If I go that route. Since' I can't find any ABS celicas local I may end up trying this next weekend.

Shadowlife25
10-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Try a junkyard search on carpart.com.

celica9303
10-28-2013, 05:42 AM
So glad we don't have emission testing in Toledo OH. Though if we ever move somewhere that does my Celica and 4runner are screwed.

S
Good luck. How much of the sensor do you need? Im hoping to check out a yard or 2 this week for a decent gas tank. Let me know I'll see what I can find for you.

crymson
10-29-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm hoping to get the whole thing, since it's largely exposed to the elements and the one I've got looks like it was cut by something kicked up by the wheel. The sensor is an integrated unit that runs from behind the rotor up into the wheel well. You need to unhook it under the plastic body panels next to the passanger seat, it's all gotta come up. If you happen to find an ABS car the rear passenger sensor would be great, and I'd be willing to cover shipping then some, since I can't find any near me.

celica9303
10-30-2013, 01:29 AM
I'll see what I find

underscore
10-30-2013, 06:15 AM
Is there any way to test the sensors? Since you said passenger rear or driver front, I'm assuming you narrowed it down to passenger rear somehow? I can't remember what state I left my ABS in, but if noone more local to you can find one you can trade me sensors, I just need something to plug the hole as my ABS is disabled and soon to be deleted.

crymson
10-31-2013, 12:12 AM
Yes, the bgb describes the process (http://bgbonline.celicatech.com/90alltrac/BR/BR.htm)

UtahSleeper
11-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Did all of the 5th gen tracs come with ABS? Just curious cause I know not all 4th gens did, so how would they really know on quick visual if there was just no bulb versus the car not being equipped.

underscore
11-04-2013, 07:50 PM
VIN?

crymson
11-05-2013, 10:54 AM
My 90 GT-S was not ABS equipped, but it had the light in the cluster for ABS. Methinks the only surefire way would be to look for the wheel speed sensors on the axles or for the ABS brick in the engine bay.

jdm_celica_gts
11-05-2013, 07:18 PM
When I replaced my front axle. It didn't have the speed sensor ring( whatever you wanna call that thing) on the axle, the light still went off when I started the car. It came back on when I would drive a little while, after it realized something was wrong with the abs system.
Don't think that helps you any. Just giving you some info.

Nitro_Alltrac
11-10-2013, 04:34 AM
The ABS was an option. I've got a copy of the sticker for mine and it was optional. If this was like a lot of optional items, the light, at least the cover in the cluster, would be there but since there would be not ABS computer to trigger it, it most likely wouldn't come on. It would be there due to cost savings of only making one cluster. Not sure on that one for sure but I can see it happening.