PDA

View Full Version : No 1st gear

T-spoon
10-21-2013, 02:24 AM
Ok, anyone have any guesses as to what could be wrong in the trans that every gear is there except 1st? Feels like a wall - solid "clunk" trying to shift into first and won't go. This is a C56 (5spd in the MRS, same as the 7gen GT)

History is: Had transaxle apart to install LSD. Everything went back together normally, or so it seemed. I've tried everything I can think of to get things to line up if it were simply a synchro issue or something, including taking the end cover off and trying to pull the shafts out or push them in to line up first gear, but it didn't help.

It's not the shifter cables as it won't go in using the manual lever on the transmission either.

What could possibly be mis-aligned inside the trans that wouldn't be causing any other issues? I do notice a very slight bark shifting into 5th at speed, but 5th gear selector etc. looked fine when I had the end cover off.

MrWOT
10-21-2013, 07:09 AM
Will it go into gear with the engine off?

T-spoon
10-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Everything but first. Trying to go into first feels the same engine on or off, with the shifter in the cabin or the shift lever on the trans. Goes into the right position but when you try to push it into the detent it's just "thunk". When I had the end cap off the transaxle I loosened the bolts for the plate that holds the shafts in position under 5th gear and when trying to go into first it felt like it was pulling the other shaft (the one without the gears/synchros on it) in slightly.

T-spoon
10-21-2013, 07:42 PM
I'm nowhere remotely close to being a transmission expert, but from what I understand by reading and from what I recall seeing when it was apart.. it seems like the most likely problem is that 1st gear is not meshed properly with the other shaft's gear/teeth, so that when first gear tries to "select", it's unable to lock in place. Or I suppose, the selector could be out of alignment and not able to slide down onto the gear/synchro? I guess.. it's all guessing without dropping the transaxle and opening the case back up. :(

MrWOT
10-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I'd guess something is misaligned, but I don't know enough about transmissions to say for sure. But if it was a problem with the synchros, it should still go into gear with engine off. Or at least one of my old cars did, and it had bad synchs on 1st and 2nd, made for some interesting driving around town.

T-spoon
10-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Yeah, looking at pictures of the assembly again, there just isn't any way the gears wouldn't be lined up. If they weren't meshed, the rest of the assembly wouldn't be working, so it seems like it would have to be selector fork for 1st gear that's not lined up/working properly. Maybe the sleeve in the fork, or the fork itself isn't on the shaft right so it can't push down far enough. By playing with the 5th gear selector fork and sleeve.. I can imagine how the sleeve on 1st could be turned in such a way that it can't slide down properly. Bleargh.

Funkycheeze
10-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Yeah sounds like the fork is out of alignment, not on the dog gear ring properly or something. Sucks.

T-spoon
10-21-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm gonna see what I can see through the shift selector hole with it removed. Probably nothing much useful, but it sure is easier than dropping the trans right now..

Funkycheeze
10-22-2013, 08:04 PM
When I rebuild gearboxes, I always as a last step ensure they go into all the gears properly. Good luck getting it dealt with easily.

T-spoon
10-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Yeah.. I attempted to do that... except that clearly I missed first. D'oh. Live and learn! :hsughr:

T-spoon
10-23-2013, 03:58 AM
Meh, did all I could from the outside and through the selector hole and all I know for sure is something is physically not assembled correctly. So, looks like I'll be dropping the trans this weekend. Whee!

Funkycheeze
10-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Yay!

As a side note, I just picked up a JDM '01 2ZZ and 6 speed with under 50,000 miles on it. So you might not be the only one at Ogopogo next year with a 2ZZ swapped MR-S. I just need a car now, might need to make a trip south to find a good one for a reasonable price.

T-spoon
10-24-2013, 05:58 AM
Nice! There are quite a few getting to the affordable age, and if you're swapping 2zz anyway, you don't even have to care about the pre or post 03 1zz issues.

Funkycheeze
10-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Yeah I see them from time to time locally, but they usually want $$$. I'll probably redo the engine a bit and get all the extra swap parts over the winter, then actually get a car in the spring. Will probably involve some kind of a field trip as they are much more affordable in the US.

T-spoon
10-24-2013, 09:52 PM
Sounds wise. It's a really easy swap, as far as swaps go. I had wanted to take my time, but the pressure plate failure on the supra kind of rushed me and made the spyder less fun that it shoulda been ;)

T-spoon
10-27-2013, 05:53 AM
Ok, it's fixed. It shifts as it should in all gears now. I haven't driven it yet because I just finished an hour ago and I'll put gear oil in it tomorrow and go have fun. It was pretty good without first gear, it should be really fun with it! The problem, as it turns out, is that a tiny retainer ball bearing was in the wrong position relative to the shift shaft that holds the first/second gear fork. This was making it impossible for the shaft to move down to select first gear. Rough experience.. BUT, I know a lot more about the inside of a transaxle now than I did; valuable knowledge :)

CriScO
10-27-2013, 05:56 AM
Win!

MrWOT
10-27-2013, 05:56 AM
Grats. Go drive.

Facime
10-27-2013, 09:37 PM
sometimes you just have to chalk it up to valuable experience. Over time it all adds up to make us better mechanics. Good on ya for getting it sorted.

Funkycheeze
10-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Nice work. Those little balls are a pain in the ass.

T-spoon
10-29-2013, 12:33 AM
Nice work. Those little balls are a pain in the ass.

I'm just gonna leave that one alone! :hehe: