PDA

View Full Version : 5S-FE Oil Cooler

93celicaconv
10-19-2013, 10:36 PM
Question: I have gone through and re-bearing'd by 93 vert, did a 99+ 5S-FE oil pump (~28% higher oil flow) and shimmed the relief valve to get a maximum of ~90 psig out of it. Runs great on 5W-30 full synthetic (Pennzoil Ultra, to be specific) now, with much better oil pressure recovery at startup. This car will only run from late spring to early fall.

There is a 94 Celica 5S-FE in the salvage yard that has the oil cooler open on it, with the somewhat unique heat shield due to the Celica 5S-FE exhaust manifold coming a bit closer to the block than the similar 5S-FE on a Camry. This oil cooler would be easy to remove from the 94 because the exhaust manifold was previously removed.

Is there any advantage for this engine to have an oil cooler on it?

I think the oil cooler actually helps warm up the oil after startup by drawing heat from the coolant, then keeps the oil from getting too warm by pushing heat to the coolant. But if the benefit is neglible, I don't think I want to disturb my engine right now to put this on.

Thoughts?

Lonestag
10-20-2013, 01:53 AM
Didn't know that option was out there.

Considering that Toyota thought it was it was advantageous to add it as an option, I can't see how it would hurt.

The only downside I see is that since you will have oil flowing through an external accessory, there is always the potential for an extra leak or even fire if it ruptures. Not that the potential for failure is any reason not to do it.

celica9303
10-20-2013, 03:33 AM
My 93 vert has the oil cooler