PDA

View Full Version : Melted efi fuse

bob
10-18-2013, 09:27 AM
93 celica stopped and wouldn't start.On inspection the efi fuse is melted along with the casing.There is a short across the fuse. Where would the likely cause of the short be? In the ecu or on the battery side? Any help appreciated.

grimmythereaper
10-18-2013, 02:04 PM
i would look at the wires that run into that fuse first and make sure the wires are all intact

The Captain
10-18-2013, 05:25 PM
It's either the wiring from the fuse box to the ECU or the ECU itself. Unplug the ECU and see if you have continuity between the fuse panel and ground. If you do, it's wiring. You can also open up the ECU and see if it's cooked...

bob
10-19-2013, 10:37 PM
Towed the car home and had a look. Not good, there is resistance across other fuses and the battery terminals :(. So I guess there is a short somewhere, is there a common place that they short out? How do you find a short in that haystack? I'm guessing that the short is on one of the main wires? I remember a while ago the handbrake light wouldn't turn off, that was a short somewhere under the dash. I couldn't find it so I just cut the wire and ran a new one.

Shadowlife25
10-20-2013, 04:29 AM
You may well have melted your wiring harness. Look at all the wires you can and see if the jackets are melted or damaged in any way. Check inside the car as well.

The good news is with a base model 93 celica, it should be relatively simple to get a replacement engine and body harness.