PDA

View Full Version : Seafoming a 4A-FE

voughtrazer
10-13-2013, 09:12 PM
So, it's time to change the oil in my celica, the car is about to hit 129K and I want to seafoam it, I know I have to put 1/3 in the oil and 1/3 in the gas tank, but I've heard many horror stories about cars that won't start after seafoaming them when putting them in a vacuum line or cars that run worse than before putting seafoam; I can't afford that since It's my daily and I go to work and college with it. Where can I find the best vacuum line to put the seafoam in it? Do I put it while the engine is running? Thanks again for your time!

Galcobar
10-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Sea Foam is very good at dissolving carbon deposits, which is how it helps engines run smoother. The problem for older engines is that it dissolves carbon deposits, which often have formed around oil leaks. Remove the deposit and a slow or plugged leak becomes a fast, open leak. Typically, this is the danger is running Sea Foam or other carbon deposit removers in the oil.

There's essentially no danger to running it through the fuel system -- it's a concentrated variant of the detergeants found in all retail gasoline.

Failure to start after running Sea Foam or its ilk through the intake system is usually due to running too much through the intake system. The way to avoid this is to apply it per the directions on the can: into a warm, running engine, and doing so slowly enough that the engine doesn't choke and die in the process. See here: http://seafoamsales.com/vacuum-line-method-with-sea-foam/

david in germany
10-13-2013, 09:40 PM
I seafoamed my 4afe without issue but I only did the intake and some in the tank.

Shadowlife25
10-14-2013, 07:08 AM
Sea Foam is very good at dissolving carbon deposits, which is how it helps engines run smoother. The problem for older engines is that it dissolves carbon deposits, which often have formed around oil leaks. Remove the deposit and a slow or plugged leak becomes a fast, open leak. Typically, this is the danger is running Sea Foam or other carbon deposit removers in the oil.

There's essentially no danger to running it through the fuel system -- it's a concentrated variant of the detergeants found in all retail gasoline.

Failure to start after running Sea Foam or its ilk through the intake system is usually due to running too much through the intake system. The way to avoid this is to apply it per the directions on the can: into a warm, running engine, and doing so slowly enough that the engine doesn't choke and die in the process. See here: http://seafoamsales.com/vacuum-line-method-with-sea-foam/

You pretty well covered everything there. Don't use too much and do it as per the stated directions.
I think this is where most folks go wrong with these kinds of products. They get too eager and expect immediate and significant results.

@Voughtrazer: Just take your time and don't over do it and you should be fine. With basic maintenance that motor should continue to serve you well for a good while to come.
Best of luck.