PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle help!

Hookecho
10-10-2013, 03:31 AM
Ok, most of you that are my facebook friends probably saw that I got a brand new Honda CTX700N yesterday. I love it... so much. But there is a very big problem. It's about 2 inches too high for me. I wear my platform harley boots and have no problems riding it. However, when I get home and need to park it, I'm having to try to roll this 500 lb bike backwards on my tip toes- I can't do it. I tried today and tipped it over twice in the driveway (no damage though, thankfully). It's too heavy for me to push on my tip toes. At the dealership where I got it, I asked them if they would lower it for me. Apparently, this bike is so brand new- first production year- that there are no lowering links or any accessories for that matter, to lower it. But I'm pretty sure my awesome Bruce did stuff like this without any "lowering links" and just rigging it up somehow- I'm assuming... Guys, can this be done? I've got an officer friend calling around to see if any shops can do this, but haven't heard back. Am I screwed? Ughhhh, how I wish Bruce were here...

Also... audio systems. I just want to listen to some tunes while riding- nothing fancy. Do I need to fork out $100+ or will the $40 kits suffice? One of Bruce's uncles says he could install it... we shall see :-/

Facime
10-10-2013, 04:08 AM
I dont know about lowering links (its possible that can be done, but also upsets the bikes spring rates). Generally the front fork tubes can be moved up in the triple clamps a little but sometimes that can also cause other issues with cable length and often the bars are in the way to do much.

An alternative is to lower the seat height with a custom seat. You may have to find someone that will custom build a seat just for you. Here locally everyone knows the guy to go to, there is likely someone around you that offers the same service. Typically they can get a couple inches of seat height removed and give you a seat thats tailored just for your butt.

Grot
10-10-2013, 05:05 AM
Custom seat is your best bet right now.

I personally would not lower a bike. it messes with the suspension geometry too much.

The Captain
10-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Try putting the spring on it's lowest setting, then match it in the front by sliding up the fork tubes in the triple clamps the same amount. Do get help with that...

donteatbugs
10-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Without seeing the suspension setup it will be hard to tell how to lower it correctly. You do upset the geometry of the bike but I doubt that you will be doing track days with it so I think you would be fine.

As for the audio, I use earbuds, they cancel out for bike noise and provide some music. Its hard to find good ones that fit in the helmet though.

Hookecho
10-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Ok, well, I took it to a motorcycle shop and they said the only thing that could be done (since the springs were already lowered) is that they are going to put my bike on the lift today and measure my links and have a machinist that they use to custom make them shorter for me. Hopefully this works, because I'm desperate! Thinking about getting stilts, lol

MCcelica
10-14-2013, 01:48 PM
As for the audio, I use earbuds, they cancel out for bike noise and provide some music. Its hard to find good ones that fit in the helmet though.

Be careful with this. In some states, it is illegal to do this. I would check on that first.