PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank issue??

Hookecho
09-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Ok, this has happened twice in the past two weeks and a couple of times a few months ago...

I'm low on gas, trying to fill up the tank and almost immediately the pump cuts off, as if it thinks it's full. I've tried moving the pump nozzle higher, lower, pump at different speeds, and I'm only able to get a couple of gallons in while it's constantly stopping automatically. I'm going to have my brother in law look at it tomorrow, but he's thinking the floater (?) in the tank is getting stuck. Sound about right? Any advice or opinions I could give him would be great...

CriScO
09-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Vent control valve on the evap canister. Common problem with 2000's Nissans. The tank is building excessive pressure.

Hookecho
09-28-2013, 11:09 PM
Ok, how does one correct this problem then, lol? And more importantly, what is a estimated cost to fix this problem? ;)

CriScO
09-28-2013, 11:23 PM
What year is yours again? If it's less than ten years old Infiniti might have to cover it, because of government regulations. It's an emissions issue.

If not, it depends how bad it got. If the canister blew and you need the vent and control valves, it could be $400 for parts alone. Personally I would take it to a Nissan/Infiniti dealer, simply because they deal with it a lot and would know exactly what to replace.

Hookecho
09-28-2013, 11:58 PM
I have an '03 G35. And I don't live in an emissions regulated state. Geez, I'd hate to have to pay a dealership :-/ Ughhhh, why this had to come up now and not 3 months ago, I will never understand....

CriScO
09-29-2013, 12:29 AM
I should probably mention I'm the parts guy at a Nissan dealership. I'll talk to our techs Monday and see how they'd go about it. Maybe I'll get enough out of them that you don't have to take it in.

Once we know what you need it might be cheaper for me to get parts and ship them out then it would be to get them locally. We'll see when we get to that point.

Hookecho
09-29-2013, 02:44 AM
Oh, well, my brother in law is going to look at it tomorrow. For $ sake, I'm praying you are wrong. Although I do not doubt your knowledge... lol.

Hookecho
09-30-2013, 12:52 AM
Yeah, ok, brother-in-law couldn't get to it because he would have to drop the driveshaft to get to it. (He didn't have the time or equipment.) Something about he couldn't get to the charcoal canister? I have no idea what this means, but apparently a trip to the shop is in my future :-/ You still think I should just bite the bullet and take it to the actual dealership?

CriScO
09-30-2013, 01:18 AM
You can try elsewhere, I'd just ask if they'd dealt with it before. A lot of the local shops here tend throw parts at this issue instead of diagnosing the problem. That's what worries me.

MrWOT
09-30-2013, 03:25 AM
Just saying, but if it's the purge valve, it should throw a code.

rizin
09-30-2013, 04:40 AM
I know fords have a vent filter (that is what the mechanic called it) and when it is plugged you have to fill the tank at a really slow rate.

Hookecho
09-30-2013, 01:55 PM
I didn't think about using his code reader. If I can figure out how to use it (big IF, lol), I will give you guys the results...

4thgenceli
09-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Do you use the same gas station when it happens or is it on any pump?

Reason I ask is this happens to my Dodge at a certain gas station. Any pump, I have to go really slow to fill it up (35 gallons takes a while to fill up at that rate...). A cowoker has a G35, I'll ask if he's ever dealt with this.

MrWOT
09-30-2013, 06:37 PM
I didn't think about using his code reader. If I can figure out how to use it (big IF, lol), I will give you guys the results...

It would trigger the check engine light on the dash, anything emissions related will trigger it. No light, no code.

FWIW, I've had a similar problem at some gas stations. Some I can hold the nozzle in more of a vertical position and it will work, others the handle trips practically as soon as I squeeze it. Go try alternate stations as suggested.

CriScO
09-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Okay, talked to the techs and looked some stuff up, turns out there was actually a problem specific to that Infiniti with a valve in the filler neck.

Unfortunately Nissan's system makes it impossible for me to copy the tech bulletin file, but Google "ITB05031" and you should be able to find it. Parts should be less than $30, but you do have to get inside the gas tank.

Hookecho
09-30-2013, 10:19 PM
Unfortunately it happens at different stations, different pumps (that was my first thought/hope, but sigh).