PDA

View Full Version : Inner tie rod removal?!

DanteDemont
09-17-2013, 06:37 PM
So the tie rod outer is stuck an I want to replace the inkers anyway, I see the boot to the steering rack, is there any specific tools I need to disconnect it or what?

I've been trying to remove the outer for like 2 days now an my new ones just came in the mail.

Any help/suggestions?

4thgenceli
09-17-2013, 06:58 PM
You'll need to remove the outer tie rod first though. If it's not breaking loose take a small wrench on the inner tie rod (you'll see a flat spot on it) and let it wedge up against the a-arm or firewall. That should stop the inner tie rod from moving while you break the outer one free. Use PB blaster or some other penetrating liquid to help.

There is a special tool that can be used for inner tie rod removal. I borrowed one from CSK and had them done in less than 30 minutes. Once the outer tie rod is off, the tool has two parts. One fits the knuckle-ish thing that threads into the steering rack. The other is a long hollow tube that slides over the inner tie rod. Using a 1/2" breaker bar you simply take it off. This can be done without the tool, you'll need just big fucking wrench to do it. I prefer using the tool, makes it much easier.

DanteDemont
09-17-2013, 07:31 PM
I drenched it in PB, an the inner tie rod where I had a pipe wrench on it is stripped, the flat spot is it beyond the boot?
What's the name of the tool from CSK?
I think I'm gonna have to do that today..

4thgenceli
09-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Tie rod removal tool

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Physlis
09-18-2013, 05:09 AM
Harbor Freight sells the inner tierod tool as well, that's where I got mine.

The flat spot he's talking about is in the middle of the inner tierod, it's what you'd use to adjust the toe settings. It's actually a hex like a bolt, covers about 4-5 inches.

Luni
09-19-2013, 06:44 PM
There are 2 different types of tie rod tools. you dont want the "Saginaw" type. You want the "crows foot" type.