PDA

View Full Version : 88 GTS Engine and Manual tranny - what chassis can I use?

anachranerd
09-14-2013, 02:42 AM
Hello all,

It's been awhile.... I wasn't able to work on my Celi for a few years due to work, other stuff..etc,,,anyways I am back to it now. Hoping you guys can help me with a potential swap situation.

Here is what I have-

I have an 88-GTS with the 3SGE motor, and a manual tranmission.

The engine and transmission worked just fine last time I had it together(years ago).

The body is the problem. Let's just say I did a lot of damage to it jsut experimenting/messing around etc...so I would prefer to just get a new chassis.

I want to use my Engine for sure, and would like to still have a manual tranny. So I need to either find a chassis with a tranny and just bolt my engine to it, or find a chassis that will accept my engine+tranny, and be able to bolt everything up like engine mounts, shifter cables, axles, etc.

So here is my question for you all: If I can find a Celica chassis(preferably Fifth Gen), how hard would it be to accomplish the above? Will my GTS motor and tranny bolt up to the later models? Will I need new axles(or custom made ones?).

From my reading on here, it is my impression that the S-series engine will bolt up to many different years just fine.

As far as ECU/wiring goes, I understand I will have to use the 88 ECU. No problem. I made a custom modular wiring harness and am fully expecting to have to make other major modifications to the engine and body wiring. I can handle the electrical... I just need to know which chassis will accommodate my engine and transmission without major modification.

Thanks!

CollapsedNut
09-14-2013, 03:25 AM
Any car using an S series engine will accept yours with little to no modification. 4th, 5th,and 6th gen Celica GT/GTS's (3SFE,3SGE,5SFE engine). Some Corollas. MR2 Turbo(came with a 3sgte, but you could put in a 3sge). Some Camry's. Rav4's(3sfe). Probably some I'm forgetting. Google "toyota s engine wiki", go on wikipedia and look at all the cars that use an S engine(3sfe,3sge,3sgte,5sfe).

CV axles will probably be the biggest thing to change, but that's not even hard. Pick your chassis then do some google and you'll find what axles to use I'm sure. There may be a bracket or two that you have to change, but if you get a chassis with say, a blown engine, then you can just compare and swap as needed. It's really no big deal.

anachranerd
09-17-2013, 04:30 AM
Your post...

Much appreciated sir...hopefully I find a chassis in my price range that I can just drop my engine/harness into, and be done with it. Maybe I will get lucky and find one with a blown engine but funcitonal body....at a reasonable price.

Thanks!!!