PDA

View Full Version : Advance AutoParts Reman Engine issue.

DanteDemont
09-14-2013, 01:44 AM
Okay so for a 90 celica gts model they have one type of engine which says 5SFE, just with a description different from that of a 91,92,93.

They have 3 engines all 5SFE, all water pump driven.

Only difference to determine which one I will buy is the size Millimeter for the thermo housing, 45mm, or 49mm.
Also if the knock sensor is on the block or not.

I can measure the water pump my question is what does the knock sensor look like on the block, an what does one look like not on the block?

This car was a project an it was frankensteined horribly when I got it.

Also does it even matter if i get the wrong type?
They are both 2.2 5SFE an if the knock is differently then my cars computer can't I just find a way around that?

Doowstados
09-14-2013, 02:16 AM
If you have a 90' then you don't have a knock sensor.

If you're going to buy a reman then google promar precision engines and get it from them, I got mine from them and it was well worth it. Great service and they do quality work. I think it's a bit cheaper too. Also, lifetime unlimited mileage warranty.

The thermostat housing is the bigger one.

fussellbug
09-16-2013, 12:49 PM
because you're putting the engine in a '90 you could use any 5SFE they have. Your original engine did not have a knock sensor, but the newer engines will have a threaded hole on the block for the knock sensor which you would not use. All of your original manifolds, timing covers, alternator, etc will bolt onto any 5SFE. I ran a '93 Camry engine in my '90 GT-S and everything bolted up without a problem.

DanteDemont
09-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Okay so I can just order a 1990 reman engine an it'll be fine, sweet I just didn't want anything that couldn't be modified or like something that would make the engine fail later down the road.

Just gotta make sure it's the 49mm outlet.

Doowstados
09-17-2013, 10:29 PM
Okay so I can just order a 1990 reman engine an it'll be fine, sweet I just didn't want anything that couldn't be modified or like something that would make the engine fail later down the road.

Just gotta make sure it's the 49mm outlet.

Again, I cannot emphasize enough that if you're going to drop $2,000 on a reman that you get it from a reputable source. I haven't heard anything good about the Surefire engines that Autozone sells and I did a ton of research before buying mine. A poor quality reman will never run right because of poor quality the machine work. Will it run? Sure. Will it last as long as a new engine? Probably not. Make sure you get an engine from a quality dealer.

DanteDemont
09-18-2013, 03:30 AM
Any suggestions?
I will be putting the engine in myself, since I work advance I figured my discount would be beneficial.

METDeath
09-18-2013, 03:46 PM
If a reman is 2K I'd swap at that point, similar costs, plus you can actually mod a 3S-GTE and get noticeable gains. It takes lots of work to get anything out of a 5S... at which point, should have swapped and had better base to start with.

Doowstados
09-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Any suggestions?
I will be putting the engine in myself, since I work advance I figured my discount would be beneficial.

Like I mentioned above, promar precision engines was great to deal with and I've put about 12,000 miles on the engine so far with no oil burning, no performance issues, no leaks, nothing wrong with it at all. I haven't dyno'd it or anything but I would imagine its putting out the same power as a brand new engine.

That said, I had to get my car on the road in a very short time span. If you have more time I would do a 3SGTE swap.