PDA

View Full Version : radiator recommendations

celica9303
09-10-2013, 02:08 AM
Just as title says. I think I may be in need of a new one. Cant find any beside OE replacement type for the 5th gen gt. Can find aftermarket units (2 row aluminum, ect...) for the Alltrac and for the 6th gen. Either one compatible with a 5th gen gt? I'm assuming the 6th gen gt radiators would work.

Mine is leaking just sitting there
..... which is why I think I need a new one, hasn't been pressurized in a year(car still on stands) and is dropping coolant. Radiator was full when I parked it, now its almost empty.

4thgenceli
09-10-2013, 02:27 AM
The autopwr st185 will work. Just block off the turbo coolant nipple and you're set. May need to slightly elongate the holes on fan shroud to fit but nothing crazy

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

METDeath
09-10-2013, 02:28 AM
Important question, manual or automatic?

celica9303
09-10-2013, 04:14 AM
Manual. I was actually looking @ the mishimoto radiators. Forgot about autopwr.

celica9303
09-10-2013, 04:15 AM
I am right that it shouldn't be actively leaking just sitting there?

Maybe I should go with an 185 radaitor like you say Tim, as I plan to swap eventually to a 3sgte.... will ghe upper and lower hoses line up correctly?

pintoBC_3sgte
09-10-2013, 04:41 AM
Yup. I have a 185 autopwr in my celi

celica9303
09-10-2013, 04:47 AM
Another question: going with a dual core radiator will I be able to use stock fan/shroud? Or wil it cause interference with header(Camry header installed) or anything else?

Doowstados
09-10-2013, 05:17 AM
Another question: going with a dual core radiator will I be able to use stock fan/shroud? Or wil it cause interference with header(Camry header installed) or anything else?

You can use stock fans. Some minor changes need to be made to the fan mounts if I remember correctly for the 185 rad but it should be pretty easy to do. Hoses shouldn't be a problem.

celica9303
09-10-2013, 05:27 AM
Are the slim fans actually an "upgrade"?

Car_Barn_Bandit
09-10-2013, 05:57 AM
Are the slim fans actually an "upgrade"?

Having more space and less noise is an upgrade. I don't know if it cools any better, but it makes working in the engine bay so much easier.

celica9303
09-10-2013, 06:44 AM
Hmmm, ill have to see. Don't have much clearance now between my o2 sensor and radiator(il get a pic so you under stand) idk might have an excuse to buy a different header......

celica9303
09-10-2013, 06:45 AM
Having more space and less noise is an upgrade. I don't know if it cools any better, but it makes working in the engine bay so much easier.

You have a dual core right? Slim fans?

Car_Barn_Bandit
09-10-2013, 08:29 AM
You have a dual core right? Slim fans?

It's a very wide single core, all aluminum AutoPower radiator. It works tremendously well. It held up with my struggling AC compressor when my AC fan died.

I only have 1 slim fan. I'll be getting a second if and when I can get a controller so they spin at variable speeds off a sensor. It'd be nice to have them pulling air on a slow speed so when I'm idling, they're near silent.

underscore
09-11-2013, 12:32 AM
I've got a 185 ASI/AutoPWR in my 184, it's the 56mm and the stock fan wouldn't fit. Aside from that, nothing special was needed to make it fit.

gtfourdreams
09-11-2013, 01:02 AM
i have a mishimoto in my ST185. no issues at high speeds. took it to a track event and did some hard driving in 2nd gear, basically staying at redline most of the time. after about 15-20 mins the factory temp gauge started going up slowly. mostly I think its because of the stock front bumper added with the slow speeds. an RC bumper probably would've helped.

Luni
09-12-2013, 06:57 AM
i have a mishimoto in my ST185. no issues at high speeds. took it to a track event and did some hard driving in 2nd gear, basically staying at redline most of the time. after about 15-20 mins the factory temp gauge started going up slowly. mostly I think its because of the stock front bumper added with the slow speeds. an RC bumper probably would've helped.

Doubt it. How is your underbody plastics and ducting through there?

matteo80
09-12-2013, 11:03 PM
I got a replacement radiator of ebay and the quality is pretty shit, can't remember the seller but I would avoid.

ChrisD
09-14-2013, 02:44 PM
I have an asi/auopowr and it's fine. Not substantially better or worse than stock. I've got 2 slim fans, mounted on the outside of the engine bay side. If you don't have ac that should be suitable. Just pay attention to which way the fans are blowing.

If you want improved quality and cooking over that, you'll have to pay for it. A lower temp thermostat may help too, but do your research before doing that.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

DanteDemont
09-16-2013, 02:19 PM
I have an asi/auopowr and it's fine. Not substantially better or worse than stock. I've got 2 slim fans, mounted on the outside of the engine bay side. If you don't have ac that should be suitable. Just pay attention to which way the fans are blowing.

If you want improved quality and cooking over that, you'll have to pay for it. A lower temp thermostat may help too, but do your research before doing that.

I don't have ac in mine I'm prepping it for a 5SFE reman to go in, but my radiator needs to go, n my condenser was dry rotted so I ripped it all out, what kind of radiator should I get that will make sure it doesn't overheat since it no longer has my of the ac components?

Doowstados
09-16-2013, 08:10 PM
I don't have ac in mine I'm prepping it for a 5SFE reman to go in, but my radiator needs to go, n my condenser was dry rotted so I ripped it all out, what kind of radiator should I get that will make sure it doesn't overheat since it no longer has my of the ac components?

Doesn't matter as long as it's good quality. Not having AC isn't a problem.

I recommend the double core all aluminum AUTOPWR one since it doesn't cost much extra, but even a cheap plastic/aluminum one will do fine.

celica9303
09-17-2013, 02:02 AM
Unfortunately I think I may haveto spend more money on the car and get a new radiator, gotta preety good puddle of coolant under the drivers sideof the radiator on ground. And it hasnt been under pressure.... grrrr.

celica9303
09-17-2013, 02:46 AM
"Oem" replacement from autofail-made by spectra $160.00 limited lifetime warranty

Autopwr 56mm dual core-only can find on there website $190.00 1 year warranty for manufacturer defects

Mishimoto dual core 56mm-ebay vendor with great feed back $270w/ free shipping lifetime warranty

Idk hmmm

Doowstados
09-17-2013, 03:32 AM
"Oem" replacement from autofail-made by spectra $160.00 limited lifetime warranty

Autopwr 56mm dual core-only can find on there website $190.00 1 year warranty for manufacturer defects

Mishimoto dual core 56mm-ebay vendor with great feed back $270w/ free shipping lifetime warranty

Idk hmmm

I got my radiator at a local radiator place for like $80. Works fine, had it for two years now with no problems and I drive my car pretty hard. Ill check the brand when I get home.

DanteDemont
09-17-2013, 02:44 PM
http://www.autopwr.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=61_90&product_id=86

I got a 2.2 that won't be an issue right?

underscore
09-17-2013, 05:03 PM
^ nope. Throw away the rad cap as soon as you get it through, both of mine were junk right out of the box.

celica9303
09-17-2013, 10:16 PM
This is after 2days. I put a 1/2 gallon in Saturday afternoon.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll269/twendt/20130917_094511.jpg

celica9303
09-22-2013, 08:06 AM
Well I ended up getting one from autofail, couldn't wait for shipping on the others. Let me say this....NEVER again. The top and bottom tanks are plastic(including the fill neck), the holes for the stock fan shroud dont line up very well, had to elongate the bottom one. Also need 1 really short bolt instead of the factory one for the shroud hole by the upper radiator hose(not enough space to use the regular one)ask my how I know.....

The biggest part that pisses me off is I can't use my TRD n-type(stock replacement type, just different pressure rating). The plastic isn't shaped right, so now I have to go to autofail in morning and get one that will work. Grrrrr

celica9303
09-23-2013, 03:27 AM
Well I was gonna flip out and pull the radiator back out, and throw it on the front step of AutoZone. My friend came over and took a look at it.....turns out the mold for the radiator just sucks and the filler neck is too big.

So he told me to put my tools down(I was ready to rip it out when he arrived), and grab a file for him. He filed it down and re shaped it and the cap now fits perfect. I was just too flustered to think right and actually look at it....

ChrisD
09-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Interesting tho. My autopwr/asi/whatever rad is all aluminum.

Shadowlife25
09-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Interesting tho. My autopwr/asi/whatever rad is all aluminum.

Mine is as well Chris. I got mine when we all did the GB years back. All aluminum dual core 56mm unit. Not a single problem with it. Replaced the cap after 2 years with an OEM Honda unit. Still going strong. Also, I still have all my AC components in place (Though they don't work) and use a single 10" slimline SPAL fan that moves more cfm than stock. Works a treat. I even hooked it up using the factory thermoswitch and all. Very simple process from start to finish.

celica9303
09-25-2013, 01:01 AM
My old radiator was I believe aluminum end tanks also. The new parts store radiators are plastic with aluminium cores.