PDA

View Full Version : Truly Stumped

pdqubet
09-05-2013, 07:36 PM
I'm just getting back to my 93' GT convertible (5sfe) and the problem for which I put it aside.
* What it's doing -- It cranks great when cold. It cranks right back up (when hot) after turning off for about 30 seconds. But, for about the time it takes to run into the convenience store (more than 2 to 3 minutes), it takes three (3) cranks for it to start, every time. My fuel mileage has plummeted.
*What I've done-- Replaced the coolant temp switch and coolant temp sensor. Replaced fuel filter. Also, after engine heated up, I waited a couple of minutes and disconnected the IAC to see if it would crank, no dice.
Any advice, up to, but not necessarily driving it over a cliff, would be much appreciated. Thanks Peter

Doowstados
09-06-2013, 02:49 AM
Test your egr components. The BGB or any repair manual has instructions for this. Also check your fuel pressure regulator. Beyond that, when you crank it are you getting fuel/spark? Let us know what you find.

pdqubet
09-06-2013, 11:38 AM
I assume (bad idea, I know) that since it starts on the third crank, that it's getting fuel and spark. I can do a one long crank and it will start, but my concerns are with the starter. What's confusing me is that it seems it's not getting the fuel needed to crank, but once I'm up and going, it drinks gas. Also, my acceleration is horrible (as if it's not getting enough fuel). I have a cai, with air temp sensor and clean filter. I'll check the components you suggested this weekend. Thanks

The Captain
09-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Have you checked the MAP sensor? Also check the filter that screws into the intake manifold. They do clog on occasion. It's the little thing that threads into the manifold and has a hose nipple (or two) that goes to the MAP.

underscore
09-06-2013, 08:09 PM
If it's getting horrible fuel economy and feels sluggish it's probably overfueling.