PDA

View Full Version : Anyone who welds aluminum?

Huaraches
08-31-2013, 07:48 PM
im in need of a fix for my mr2's tranny. its currently sitting it doesnt move because i need to patch up a hole on the tranny. it had a patch and i removed it cuz i wanted to fix it right because it was leaking. i had changed the axel seal and drain plugs but those werent the issue. i bought the car and never knew about the patch untill i started to notice a leak. so if anyone near me can help me out here been trying to get someone who can come and weld this http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac254/huaraches2010/AW11%201987/IMAG1067_zps8d433011.jpg

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-31-2013, 09:05 PM
I recommend going to a radiator shop. I've had a few things patched up for relatively cheap. Call around and see if someone will take it.

4thgenceli
09-01-2013, 01:22 AM
What the hell happened there!!

Honestly, it'd be better if you take it off and disassemble the transmission and deliver a stripped and clean case. Then they'll have access to both sides for a proper fix. That's a huge hole though, you may want to source another case.

celica9303
09-01-2013, 03:43 AM
Holy crater Batman, id do what tim suggested.

Hipster Lawrence
09-01-2013, 03:47 AM
I'd just get a new case or a whole new transmission. You might get lucky and find someone who can weld aluminium, it's going to need to be clean and most likely the only way to clean it properly is going to be disassembly. At that point you'll probably come out cheaper to just buy a replacement.

Luni
09-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Ive got an extra case... Actually its the whole damn transmission, but its an extra case. Ill give it to you for the cost of shipping. Prolly cost you 100 bucks ish.

T-spoon
09-02-2013, 12:41 AM
Ive got an extra case... Actually its the whole damn transmission, but its an extra case. Ill give it to you for the cost of shipping. Prolly cost you 100 bucks ish.

You should definitely take this deal, as long as Luni is actually able to ship it ;)

gtfourdreams
09-10-2013, 10:56 PM
you may want to try these: http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-low-temperature-aluminum-welding-rods-44810.html
i havent tried harbor frieght's brand but i've tried others and they work decent.

Luni
09-10-2013, 11:38 PM
You should definitely take this deal, as long as Luni is actually able to ship it ;)

i keel joo!

4thgenceli
09-10-2013, 11:57 PM
you may want to try these: http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-low-temperature-aluminum-welding-rods-44810.html
i havent tried harbor frieght's brand but i've tried others and they work decent.

Those suck. I tried to fill a bolt hole on my transmission case using those. Propane torch my ass. I tried 3 kinds of torches and couldn't get any of them to heat up the metal to the required temps.

jdm_celica_gts
09-11-2013, 12:33 AM
Even though those say they can melt with a propane torch, it's not the best solution. I would source a new case. Aluminum is one of the most temperamental metals to try and weld. Unless someone knows what yet are doing it will just turn out looking horrible with a bunch of peroxidy (trapped gas and dirt that causes pin holes) in it.