PDA

View Full Version : How much am I going to hate doing my steering rack?

Doowstados
08-31-2013, 07:09 AM
Haven't really gotten under the car and looked yet. How many hours of work am I getting myself into? Any tips/tricks from the 5th gen pros?

I'm also replacing all of the power steering lines (pressure and return) and the pump itself.

I usually love a good rack, too :sad:

Facime
08-31-2013, 08:48 AM
it really shouldnt be that hard. I looked into it before I bought my gf's '92. We thought her leak was the rack and it turned out to be the pressure line. The whole rack should come outto one side or the other trough the tie rod opening. It might be a little easier to access stuff if you pull the crossmember, but as far as I know it doesnt HAVE to come out. I would imagine you should be able to do the whole job in 3-4 hours.

allTRACway
09-01-2013, 02:40 AM
Make sure you have an impact of some sort or a cheater bar at the least the bolts are hell.

Doowstados
09-01-2013, 03:05 AM
Make sure you have an impact of some sort or a cheater bar at the least the bolts are hell.

My future father in law is lending me his driveway and air compressor, and I have air tools so I'm covered on that end thankfully. Thanks!

celica9303
09-01-2013, 03:13 AM
Do a write up with pics I dont think there's one yet.

Doowstados
09-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Well, I didn't get around to the rack but I got the pump and all the lines done. Problem is that the wheel is now harder to turn than it was before. I've definitely got fluid flow because I can see the fluid spinning in the resevoir, but it's like the power steering isn't working.

I've bled the system by moving the wheel lock to lock probably 30 times but I had to give up last night and drive 30 minutes home. Hopefully I didn't fry the pump by not fully bleeding it - if that is indeed the problem. I'm going to try bleeding it some more later.