PDA

View Full Version : Trunk stuck

Psychowrath
08-29-2013, 07:02 PM
Hey guys I have a 90 gt and the original trunk was bent all to hell so I went pulled one off a junker that had a spoiler put it on and now the release on the driver side won't release the trunk to open so I thought maybe the spring was wore so I went an picked up two springs off of 90 thru 93 that had spoilers no luck so I decided to change the entire catch piece so I returned to junk yard and pulled it put it on same problem won't bump I have to shove something under the lever an walk around raise the trunk and walk back to remove what was holding the lever in order to lock it I have been in the trunk when lid was closed and had a friend pull lever now everything is working just the spring pulls but doesn't pull hard enough to release the striker please help

Psychowrath
08-29-2013, 08:09 PM
On a side note trunk open just fine without the spoiler very weird...

MCcelica
08-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Did you try tightening the cable? On the latch side there is a banjo bolt on the end of the cable that you should be able to shorten the cable in relation to the cable housing...

Psychowrath
09-01-2013, 01:12 AM
Yes after it is a lot stiffer like I see the latch release pull all the way but it won't kick for some reason ...

MCcelica
09-01-2013, 04:00 AM
Oil up the hinges. I don't remember if there are gas struts on there or not, but if there are, I'd suggest maybe changing those too.

Shadowlife25
09-02-2013, 02:49 AM
Celica trunks are rather fragile things. They tend to not like it when you mount big spoilers on them. In other words, if there is a spoiler on it, don't expect it to pop open like it used to. Also, you need to properly align the trunk lid so that everything is as intended. Once you have your gaps set properly, then you can make adjustments at the receiver end of things. (The latching mechanism)

celica9303
09-02-2013, 07:43 PM
The hinges suck too. I have a bend in the corner of my trunk because the hinge stuck and the other side didn't. Might want to order new ones just to be safe.

celica9303
09-02-2013, 07:47 PM
When you pull the release do you hear it "pop"? The trunk doesn't pop up persay like the hood should when you pull the cable but you should hear the latch disengage. My vote is your hinges are binding causing you not to be able to lift the lid.

KoreanJoey
09-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Make sure to keep those hinges lubed up. I used to just shoot them with some white lithium grease every oil change. Seemed to keep it from sticking.

Psychowrath
09-06-2013, 05:09 PM
The lid will raise very easily even with oem spoiler that was mounted at factory I used entire trunk deck off another car it does not pop as it does not let you open it if the lever is pulled by the seat it raises just fine as long as that latch is bring held in the up or release position now if you pull and release this switch the trunk will not unlatch for someone to pull it up the gas struts were replaced when deck lid was swapped

The Captain
09-06-2013, 07:20 PM
The lid will raise very easily even with oem spoiler that was mounted at factory (insert period here) I used entire trunk deck off another car it does not pop (insert period here) as it does not let you open it if the lever is pulled by the seat (insert period here) it raises just fine as long as that latch is bring held in the up or release position (insert period here) now if you pull and release this switch the trunk will not unlatch for someone to pull it up (insert period here) the gas struts were replaced when deck lid was swapped (insert period here)

fixed... (sorry, it makes my head hurt)

Are the rubber bumpers in the rear corners of the trunk lid in good shape? If not you can space them out with some thick washers. Also try lowering the latch mechanism. It should take a slight push to get the trunk to latch. If it doesn't, it won't "pop" when you pull the release.

MCcelica
09-07-2013, 12:29 PM
fixed... (sorry, it makes my head hurt)

Are the rubber bumpers in the rear corners of the trunk lid in good shape? If not you can space them out with some thick washers. Also try lowering the latch mechanism. It should take a slight push to get the trunk to latch. If it doesn't, it won't "pop" when you pull the release.

This.