PDA

View Full Version : Luni, Smaay: Gonna go check out a 7th gen GT-S tomorrow. Few questions!

Doowstados
08-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Hey guys, I test drove a 7th gen GT today and pretty much fell in love with the thing. Unfortunately, it was at a dealership and out of my price range. What I really want is a 7th gen Celica that will last me ~3 years or so.

I found a 7th Gen 2000 GT-S with 185,000 miles on it - private seller only wants $3,300. I'm going to try and knock them down to $3,000.

Is this worth it? Would I be able to reasonably expect that car to last me another 3 years providing it is in average condition? I drive ~15,000 miles a year. How is the 2ZZGE's reliability? I've heard mixed opinions.

I know there were some issues with the shift gates on that model year, how can I quickly check the transmission for that damage while test driving?

grimmythereaper
08-25-2013, 03:24 PM
one of the most important things you can do when buying a car with that kinda milege is check all the fluids and look under the car for any leaks after the test drive. One thing my grandfather taught me was to take a rag with you and check the oil b4 the test drive and after you wipe the oil off the dipstick is to see if there is any burt on oil, that will give you an idea of how often the seller changed the oil in the car. The only real problem that i have heard about the 2zzge is that if you ever have to replace the motor is that it is expensive BC of the price of the engine.

allTRACway
08-25-2013, 09:55 PM
The cams have had a tendency to break or screw up and get burnt. I know the 1zz pistons oil return holes were to small but not super sure about the 2zz. I also heard if you truly maintain the engines they last forever and you can supercharge them for pretty cheap and they hold great.
Check under the oil cap for sludge and try to get as many records as you can.

Good luck man the 7th gen GT-S is a beautiful car.

crymson
08-26-2013, 01:17 AM
Rev it up and make sure that lift engages at 6800 RPMs, pre-facelift the lift bolts for the exhaust cam can sheer in the head, they're a bitch to replace too.

Doowstados
08-26-2013, 04:01 AM
Well, I test drove the GT-S today and it ran fine but it had a crappy carfax, the last 2 smogs had to be re-done and it had been through like 4 owners. For a car with high miles like that I decided to pass on it.

Luni
08-26-2013, 06:12 AM
It could be good or a nightmare.

Lift engages at ~6000 RPM on early and ~6200 rpm on later.

The 2ZZ is actually a reliable engine really. Mine has about 160k on the clock and Ben (donteatbugs) is about to go put it through some hell on the racetrack tomorrow.

MCcelica
08-26-2013, 11:21 PM
It's good to check the carfax. The engine can be very reliable as mine has over 223k miles and still runs like new. (IE: Hits lift, doesn't leak or burn a drop of oil). However, mine never had to be re-tested for emissions. She did 90% or better on all emissions levels on her last three trips. Without miss-shifting, the transmission got me about 211k miles before the synchros wore out. But if you use synthetic oil to keep the sludge out, the engines can last a long time as evidenced here. This pic was taken immediately after removing the valve cover. Engine had 211k on it at the time. http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/9/8/7/395191_10100669587917433_1474968290_n.jpg