PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control

Psychowrath
08-24-2013, 04:34 AM
Alright guys I have a 90 gt 2.2 five speed now when I turn my cruise on the light on the dash comes on but I have no other responses won't actually engage any insight?

Physlis
08-24-2013, 05:13 AM
Do you also have the Brake light on in your dash? It could indicate aa issue/ faulty sensor in the brake system which will disable cruise control (usually fluid level sensor in the reservior). Of course check fuses, and vacuum lines for leaks. If all else checks good you may have to troubleshoot the CC unit.

Galcobar
08-24-2013, 08:04 AM
Also check whether your brake lights are permanently on -- that would indicate your brake pedal sensor is stuck, which would also cancel the cruise control.

Psychowrath
08-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Would the lisence plate light out cause this I know others like breaks and reverse lights can cause it it's not vacuume or fuse related.... I'm testing sensors now hoth seem to be good if not where can I get replacements?

Physlis
08-24-2013, 09:23 PM
If a sensor is tripping the system/bad, it will pop up on your dash. If all else fails, check to make sure the Brake dash light isn't burned out. I doubt a blown plate light would cause it but I've seen stranger.

Psychowrath
08-25-2013, 02:58 AM
Both sensors good and brake light works every time I set e brake light comes on...

ctgriffi
09-23-2013, 05:31 PM
I fought this issue for a long time on my 93 GTS until I finally got it working again. Details and more info at this thread: http://www.toyotacelicas.com/forums/94-fifth-generation/46272-cruise-control-question.html

93celicaconv
10-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Yeap, a bad VSS (vehicle speed sensor) can cause this cruise control problem. There are also codes you can get from the cruise module (flashing cruise control lamp) which will tell you a lot of what the module knows is wrong when you put the cruise control system into diagnostic mode (not much different that putting the engine ECU into diagnostic mode to the the trouble codes). Using that feature often prevents one from hunting in a trial-and-error fashion.

Cellikah
12-05-2018, 02:27 AM
"Old thread resurrection jutsu" I picked up my 2nd Celica a few months ago from the old couple who had it since it was brand new, listed it for sale after it mysteriously stopped and they figured it was knackered....being the vulture that I am, I took a timing belt over, got it running, and drove off like a stabbed rat.... fast forward with some much needed maintenance and I am trying to sort out the not working cruise control, ran into this site and it's been awesome. Pulled the speed sensor this morning and checked it (according to the bgb). It was supposed to read 5 volts when spun yet it never passed 1.87v. I'm hoping one of you who have checked yours can remember what it was that you saw which convinced you it was bad. I'm sure mine is. Second issue is, the part is no longer available at the dealer. Where did you get yours from? Thanks a lot...if I get no response (due to the age of this) I will update as I proceed. There were no codes in the system, I checked prior to item by item diagnostics.

sefiro
12-05-2018, 02:37 AM
Mens mall

I use picknpull in the Dfw area. Check with Toyota on which vehicles the part was used on then check inventory at the yard.

Cellikah
12-05-2018, 04:35 PM
Thanks alot, i will try that. So far i think they were used on all the cc equipped Celicas of that generation and i know where an ST is, i hope it's stick and I'll try to find out from my friend at Toyota about the interchange.

bloodMoney
12-06-2018, 05:08 PM
You can also use toyodiy (http://www.toyodiy.com/) for a part number cross-reference. It's by far the handiest (short of the dealer) when it comes to things like this.

Cellikah
12-06-2018, 05:58 PM
I have a friend who works at the dealership in Florida, they are discontinued... Called one in Canada same story. Now some European company is checking on it too.

underscore
12-10-2018, 06:18 AM
I use Toyodiy along with the Lithia Toyota parts search, since sometimes a part number has been superceded and the new number is still available (or easier to find).

Cellikah
12-10-2018, 06:47 AM
I use Toyodiy along with the Lithia Toyota parts search, since sometimes a part number has been superceded and the new number is still available (or easier to find).

Thanks a lot, I have a friend in BC (Coaquitlam) she put me in touch with a guy up there Rovon Auto Parts..who put me in touch with a company with no luck. I was dealing with a European outfit who said they can't get it, and I found a site that gave me all the other variations of the part number and the ones which didn't turn up anything were no longer made. Sooooo I've given up and i'll have to scavenge hopefully i'll find one in the junkyard which works some day.

93celicaconv
12-11-2018, 02:37 AM
"Old thread resurrection jutsu" I picked up my 2nd Celica a few months ago from the old couple who had it since it was brand new, listed it for sale after it mysteriously stopped and they figured it was knackered....being the vulture that I am, I took a timing belt over, got it running, and drove off like a stabbed rat.... fast forward with some much needed maintenance and I am trying to sort out the not working cruise control, ran into this site and it's been awesome. Pulled the speed sensor this morning and checked it (according to the bgb). It was supposed to read 5 volts when spun yet it never passed 1.87v. I'm hoping one of you who have checked yours can remember what it was that you saw which convinced you it was bad. I'm sure mine is. Second issue is, the part is no longer available at the dealer. Where did you get yours from? Thanks a lot...if I get no response (due to the age of this) I will update as I proceed. There were no codes in the system, I checked prior to item by item diagnostics.

You didn't say what year and what model Celica you have. Tough to help without knowing what you have. Also, do you have a vacuum or electronic cruise control system?

Did you get a diagnostic trouble code 21 on your cruise control light when checking cruise control codes? If the CC module doesn't get a proper signal from the speed sensor, this code should be set when checking for codes. And yes, there should be salvage yards around that have these manual trans speed sensors.

The speed sensor on 1990 Celica manual transmissions is part no. 88261-20070 (5th Gen Celica GT, GT-S, All-Trac, and 1990-1992 MR2)

The speed sensor of 1991-1993 Celica manual transmissions is part no. 88261-20080 (5th Gen Celica models ST, GT GT-S & All-Trac)

Of course, the above means little if you have a 4th Gen or 6th Gen Celica.

Cellikah
12-11-2018, 07:33 AM
You didn't say what year and what model Celica you have. Tough to help without knowing what you have. Also, do you have a vacuum or electronic cruise control system?

Did you get a diagnostic trouble code 21 on your cruise control light when checking cruise control codes? If the CC module doesn't get a proper signal from the speed sensor, this code should be set when checking for codes. And yes, there should be salvage yards around that have these manual trans speed sensors.

The speed sensor on 1990 Celica manual transmissions is part no. 88261-20070 (5th Gen Celica GT, GT-S, All-Trac, and 1990-1992 MR2)

The speed sensor of 1991-1993 Celica manual transmissions is part no. 88261-20080 (5th Gen Celica models ST, GT GT-S & All-Trac)

Of course, the above means little if you have a 4th Gen or 6th Gen Celica.

I am sorry for not previously providing that information. It's a 1991 Celica GT Hatchback 2.2L 5 Speed. A friend of mine was kind enough to check the part number for me and it is 88261-20080 (the one I have been hunting).
I followed the steps for diagnostics given in the BGB, there were no codes in the system. The next step listed was individual diagnostics of each component. When I got to the speed sensor it failed the test, therefore I must replace this part first, and continue if it doesn't solve the problem.
I also have the vacuum cruise control system.

93celicaconv
12-11-2018, 12:16 PM
There are a few Celica 5-speed manuals in the salvage yard near me. Not sure if they are 1990 or above though. I think this sensor is located on the top of the transaxle case, behind and below the starter, right? If so, that may not be terribly hard to get out. Just that it is winter now in Wisconsin, not a great time to be part hunting.

Cellikah
12-11-2018, 09:41 PM
Let me hop in the Leer Jet and come get those lol. Thanks for the lead, but yeah winter is a bugger. The sensor is actually located on the back, like below the tps area on the transmission. If you follow the speedo cable it'll lead you right to it. It then twists off after you unplug the 3 wire plug. I removed the air box, filter, intake tube, and a bracket which supports some wiring, and carefully stuck my hand inthere. I had to disconnect the speedo cable at the top first to spin it. It's a bit annoying when you first do it but then it's pretty easy on a cold engine.