PDA

View Full Version : st185 recommended mods, in order

Craig25
08-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Hey guys, I have a bone stock st185, and im looking to get her up there! Im just looking for your opinions on what to do, and in what order thanks :eek5:
190k several oil leeks, runs awesome!! PEPPY SON BITCH

underscore
08-23-2013, 06:45 PM
First off, welcome.

Second, take care of any maintenance items first (ie those leaks) before you drop money into anything else. After that, it depends on what you want to use the car for.

Craig25
08-23-2013, 07:46 PM
Ya maintenance for sure, I really just want to have an all round nice sports car, for car shows, maybe some auto cross, nothing insane but you know more hp, better performance, handling etc!

spitfiremk16
08-24-2013, 01:42 AM
What are your goals and budget as far as power goes? And i would highly recommend going through your suspension and upgrading the brakes before you start making extra power. The brakes are not the greatest even at stock power levels and the suspension on a 20+ year old car is worn and is probably going to need new bushings and struts, etc.

crymson
08-24-2013, 03:31 AM
^^^ this

also, you have a real honest to god RC, not a bone stock alltrac.

MrWOT
08-24-2013, 03:50 AM
Bushings/suspension components,brake hydraulics,engine rebuild,upgrade secondary IC heat exchanger,exhaust,turbo,stop.

underscore
08-24-2013, 11:08 PM
^ Pretty much, except I'd leave the turbo alone, do the clutch with the rebuild and maybe do the rebuild first (just a basic refresh) depending on whats leaking and how old your timing belt is.

And don't forget better tires.

ChrisD
08-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Craig! :)

1. Maintenance. Oil leaks first, then plugs/plug wires, distributor cap/rotor, belts etc.
2. Suspension. Nothing will make your car feel more alive than new struts/springs or coilovers, new bushings, and a whiteline swaybar.
3. Engine mods. Intake/exhaust are generally the first things people touch. Worth a good amount of HP to give the car a little bit of pep.

That's probably plenty to get started. I wouldn't bother touching engine internals or the turbo until you need to. Especially the engine. If modded carefully, the stock internals are plenty strong. Turbo can be a next step, graduate to a CT20b after that which will really wake the car up. But do the other stuff first. :)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

The Captain
08-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Craig! :)

1. Maintenance. Oil leaks first, then plugs/plug wires, distributor cap/rotor, belts etc.
2. Suspension. Nothing will make your car feel more alive than new struts/springs or coilovers, new bushings, and a whiteline swaybar.
3. Engine mods. Intake/exhaust are generally the first things people touch. Worth a good amount of HP to give the car a little bit of pep.

That's probably plenty to get started. I wouldn't bother touching engine internals or the turbo until you need to. Especially the engine. If modded carefully, the stock internals are plenty strong. Turbo can be a next step, graduate to a CT20b after that which will really wake the car up. But do the other stuff first. :)

Dead on.

jaydog82
08-25-2013, 05:33 PM
^+1 what I did, kinda suspension is next for me

Sent from my Nexus 4

alltracman78
08-29-2013, 11:22 PM
-Don't forget to change the coolant and transmission/rear diff oil. Air filter [wouldn't worry about if you're going to do an intake upgrade soon]. Fuel filter wouldn't hurt. Timing belt/water pump unless they've been done recently.
-New tires might make a big difference.
-You don't need an engine rebuild, unless you have a specific problem.
-Replace all the suspension bushings. 2 On each front control arm, 2 on each rear trailing arm. The rear lower control arms [2 per side] have spherical ball joints on the outer joints [actually part of the rear knuckle], don't replace them with bushings. Only replace them if worn, and then with new joints. Rear subframe bushings. Rear diff mount. Mario over on alltrac.net makes a nice set of those. Swaybar bushings won't make much difference, but won't hurt if you have the $$.
-Front subframe brace makes a big difference, but you can't fit a 3" front pipe with most of them [unless you dent the pipe or use oval tubing].
-If you have an RC don't replace your springs [you have factory lowering springs, ~ 1"]. The struts are the same as a regular ST185.
-Alignment if you do suspension work.
-Get a 3" exhaust, not 2.5.
-Also, intake makes a big difference. Straight is best, but even getting the Samco intake hoses makes a big difference from the stock accordian ones.
-Your AFM has a larger intake than a regular ST185, so you can't just bolt on a cone filter adapter. But you can mod the filter adapter to fit. The outlet side of the AFM is the same size as the regular ones.
-Your larger AFM and ECU matched to it allow you to run a slightly larger turbo [without modding the fuel system] than a regular ST185.
But you might want to think about a bored out fuel rail if you're going to do that [wouldn't hurt even if you're not].

underscore
08-30-2013, 12:15 AM
Since the RC turbo is a bit of an upgrade from the regular CT26, I'd be curious to see if a CT20b makes much of a difference on an RC.

-Front subframe brace makes a big difference, but you can't fit a 3" front pipe with most of them [unless you dent the pipe or use oval tubing].
-Your AFM has a larger intake than a regular ST185, so you can't just bolt on a cone filter adapter. But you can mod the filter adapter to fit. The outlet side of the AFM is the same size as the regular ones.

My experiences with these two: The ACE brace rubs ever so slightly on my custom 3", a small dent in the exhaust will fix it. Vibrant makes an AFM adapter that will bolt onto the RC, I'm just not sure which one it is. You can either try to figure out which one you need, or just do what I did and drill the extra holes to make the regular 185 one fit.

ChrisD
08-30-2013, 01:59 AM
All good advice, but for the record Craig has a normal ST185, not an RC. ;)

underscore
08-30-2013, 05:10 AM
All good advice, but for the record Craig has a normal ST185, not an RC. ;)

Wellllllll nevermind then, crymson you liar!

crymson
08-30-2013, 05:57 AM
Wellllllll nevermind then, crymson you liar!

I am full of fail. :(